It REPENTED the Lord that he had made man on the earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
King James Bible, Gen 6:

6 And it repented [H5162] the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
In biblical parlance, the word repent is often associated with sins.

To avoid that confusion/connotation, New King James Version:

And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.
English Standard Version:

And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
Does that mean he turned from all his sin because he made man?

No, God did not sin. In terms of anthropomorphism, the LORD experienced grief and regret.

Does repentance mean turning from all sin?

No, not necessarily. H5162 is polysemantic.

English Standard Version, Num 23:

19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind [H5162]. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever "re" is place in front of a word, it means to redo, Pent - means high place as in a pent house, repent means to go back to that "high place" with God, man had fallen from.

God grieved for man in this fallen state

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
King James Bible, Gen 6:

In biblical parlance, the word repent is often associated with sins.

To avoid that confusion/connotation, New King James Version:

English Standard Version:

Does that mean he turned from all his sin because he made man?

No, God did not sin. In terms of anthropomorphism, the LORD experienced grief and regret.

No, not necessarily. H5162 is polysemantic.

English Standard Version, Num 23:
Yes, God was not surprised at Man's wrong choice--after all, He had given Man the choice to begin with, to succeed or to fail.

But there were real repercussions for God in this. If Man failed, then God would suffer consequences. This is the grief indicated by the word "repent." God was consoling Himself for giving people the freedom with which they could turn on Him.

Why would God make Himself so vulnerable in this? That is another question for another day! ;)

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God was not surprised at Man's wrong choice--after all, He had given Man the choice to begin with, to succeed or to fail.

But there were real repercussions for God in this. If Man failed, then God would suffer consequences. This is the grief indicated by the word "repent." God was consoling Himself for giving people the freedom with which they could turn on Him.

Why would God make Himself so vulnerable in this? That is another question for another day! ;)
So he would know who loved him sincerely for they would have to choose Him

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The definition of H5162 (נָחַם, "nacham") is "to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted". So, I think the ESV"s "God regretted" is correct. The KJV's wording is confusing precisely for the reason you cited: "repented" implies God sinned.

The Greek word for "to repent" is μετανοέω ("metanoeoo"), and it literally means "to change your mind". What I find interesting is that "repentance" in both Hebrew and Greek is a mental attitude. It's the changed mental attitude that (hopefully) leads to a change of behavior.

There is another Hebrew word that is sometimes translated as "repent" in the newer translations: H7725 שׁוּב, "shoob". This word literally means "to turn around", "to return (to God)". I think this one better captures our current understanding of repentance.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The definition of H5162 (נָחַם, "nacham") is "to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted". So, I think the ESV"s "God regretted" is correct. The KJV's wording is confusing precisely for the reason you cited: "repented" implies God sinned.

The Greek word for "to repent" is μετανοέω ("metanoeoo"), and it literally means "to change your mind". What I find interesting is that "repentance" in both Hebrew and Greek is a mental attitude. It's the changed mental attitude that (hopefully) leads to a change of behavior.

There is another Hebrew word that is sometimes translated as "repent" in the newer translations: H7725 שׁוּב, "shoob". This word literally means "to turn around", "to return (to God)". I think this one better captures our current understanding of repentance.
Excellent!

I would have given you another like to the above if I could :)

Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It REPENTED the Lord that he had made man on the earth​

What! you mean, God who knows the beginning from the end changed his mind?

• Wow

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Makes you wonder what else He might change His mind about, doesn't it?
I think God suffers with humanity even while humanity thinks he is removed from suffering.
Loving means being vulnerable. It puts God's long-suffering into perspective and our shortsighted quips into the realm of the foolish.

• Love