James vs Paul

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
TO ALL:

Is it impossible to have faith, true faith without works?

When a person is born-again, the Holy Spirit works inside the person, prompting the person to participate in godly works.

In 1 Samuel 16:7 , God tells the prophet Samuel, "The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

God alone can look inside the human heart to see if a person's alleged faith is real.
All that we mere mortals can do is to look for outward signs that a person's alleged faith is real.
In his writings, James is telling us that such outward signs will exist if a person's alleged faith is real.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Rose...
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
As I said before, you're equivocating with the word works. Works of law (Paul/Moses) are something we do of our own will. Works of faith (James/Christ) are fruits of the spirit that are done through us by our yielding to GOD's will in faith.

I suspect the equivocation is both deceitful and willful, and that you are a philonomian (i.e., law lover).

The answer to your question is yes, if works means works of faith (i.e., fruits of the spirit).

The fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth. Ephesians 5:9

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

But if works means works of law (i.e., Moses), then the question is self-contradictory, and fallacious.
Fruits of the spirit are spiritual, not works of the flesh ... all the fruits of the spirit are characteristics of the spirit, NOT ACTIONS, and that's not works.

Willimac...

Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness. He was justified by faith. His works, as James called it, was simply a test that he was given to see if he believed God. He had previously determined to gain a son through the bondwoman, indicating that he was not yet convinced that God would or could fulfill His promise through his barren wife. Later on, when that was proven by God through a miracle, there was a test of his faith in the instruction to sacrifice his son of promise. Thus Abraham's willingness to go along with this strange request indicated that he believed God. It was always about faith.

James, in his letter, was asking them if they had faith. He did this, either sincerely or tongue in cheek, because he did not see the kind of fruit that a believer usually displays. He was not demanding that they add works to their faith. He was questioning their faith by their works. The conclusion is that if they were lacking anything, it was faith. As in Abraham's case, James was requesting that they show proof of their faith.

This is why I mentioned context. And by the way, not having personally attended any formal training, I can only relay what I have learned about bible interpretation. What I have learned from my own studies and experience, and confirmed by pretty much every bible scholar of formal training, is that there are methods and rules of thumb involved in interpreting scripture...not the least of which is to look at a passage in its context.
You have shown me something about yourself in your describing my comment on context as a theory. It is more than a mere theory. It is a method. If one fails to use this method, the result will be to misunderstand a text. My opinion is that if a person does his homework, they will have a better chance of understanding. My advice is to read the entire letter from James and see if I said anything that was just a theory.

To reply to your most recent question...yes. It is impossible to have true faith without works. However, as the previous reply has also said..the works are the result of what the faith has brought into the person's life. Faith has a purpose in the new covenant. The purpose is to receive that which God is offering...a new nature through the new birth. Dogs bark because they ARE dogs. They are not working at becoming dogs. Believers do good works (fruit) because of who they have become through faith. The works are after the fact. Works cannot justify a person to receive what they already have received. They simply confirm the faith that received life from God. They offer evidence that the new birth has occurred, and will be rewarded appropriately on the judgment seat of Christ.

And FYI, to those whom it concerns... God does not require this evidence to know if the faith was sincere. He knew it was when He granted the everlasting life to the believer. James told his readers..."show me". He did not say "show God". :) cheers, Howie
So let me make this clear...

If Abraham was justified by faith is this right?

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
James 2:21

Be sincere to yourself Williemac...

Our faith is not for man, is for GOD... towards man we preach the gospel not our good works... the jews were the ones who wanted to justify them selves towards man receiving glory from each other.

Of course, to be able to "unsee" this it takes formal training, I know that... it takes human rules to turn this into the opposite! That "method" is pure sin... the word of GOD is known by the Spirit not by "methods" or man "trainings".

The entire letter??
Wait and I'll show you more mistakes of James... yes the entire letter is full of mistakes.

It is impossible to have true faith without works.

So what happens? Who has faith looses free will over his works? If they are not an option but only a RESULT of something that is a gift (faith) than after faith we loose free will in our actions... YOU DEFEND THIS?

Yes, I know James told them "show me", that's what Paul refer's to in his letter to the Colossus church.... and that's vanity.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink (message of James), or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath {days}: {in meat...: or, for eating and drinking} {respect: or, part}
Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body {is} of Christ.
Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, {beguile...: or, judge against you} {in a...: Gr. being a voluntary in humility}
And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, {rudiments: or, elements}
(Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. {neglecting: or, punishing, or, not sparing}
Colossenses 2:16-23

In this dissimulation even Peter fell in Antioch...

But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before {them} all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
We {who are} Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law (like the one's who came from JAMES preach), but by the faith of Jesus Christ (my present fight with you), even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gálatas 2:11-16

Dodo...

When a person is born-again, the Holy Spirit works inside the person, prompting the person to participate in godly works.

In 1 Samuel 16:7 , God tells the prophet Samuel, "The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

God alone can look inside the human heart to see if a person's alleged faith is real.
All that we mere mortals can do is to look for outward signs that a person's alleged faith is real.
In his writings, James is telling us that such outward signs will exist if a person's alleged faith is real.
No, that's not what James is saying, he's saying Abraham was justified by works and that faith doesn't save anyone without works with is the opposite of Paul's preaching.

And "such outward signs will exist if a person's alleged faith is real" is not true too.
Works are not a reflection of faith... we do not recognize a Christian by his works but by his faith (reaction to the gospel when preached).
Do you think that the works of a Christian are better then the works of the atheist?
It would be grate if we deed so many good works has many atheists do... yet they do not believe in GOD.

Faith is in our spirit, works in our body, one has nothing to do with the other...

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: {that...: or, as being righteous}
Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men {are}, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as {his} eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified {rather} than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
Lucas 18:9-14

Which of these came out justified? The one with works or the one WITHOUT works and full of sin?
Again, faith not only without works but WITH BAD WORKS EVEN.

And remember, this is Jesus talking to those who thought that good works is a sign or a prof of justice...

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Sargento said:
Fruits of the spirit are spiritual, not works of the flesh ... all the fruits of the spirit are characteristics of the spirit, NOT ACTIONS, and that's not works.
You need to start believing what the bible says:

This is the work of God: that you believe into the one [the father] set apart. John 6:29

So believing into Christ is a work of GOD... Actually it is the work of GOD. Doing good to others are the works that come next:

The fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth. Ephesians 5:9

And do not neglect doing good and generosity, for God is pleased with such sacrifices. Hebrews 13:16

Instead of throwing out questions about what we believe, and then refuting the responses as if you know something better, why don't you just come out and openly and fully and plainly tell us what you believe? Personally, I'm a little sick of this technique.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Sargento said:
The entire letter??
Wait and I'll show you more mistakes of James... yes the entire letter is full of mistakes.
It is a bit difficult to discuss what the Apostle James taught if a person had outright rejected the teachings of the Apostle James.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Sargento: Consider the parable of the talents. The one who buried his talent in the ground was cast out. We have one command that still stands from the beginning: "be fruitful". However, I will also add that if the man had simply put his money in the bank and allowed it to collect interest, he would have been accepted. The burying of the talent equates to opposing God. The new life that is in us is designed to bear fruit, and it will if left unopposed.
James was in no way suggesting to his readers that they were unsaved because of inferior works. He was questioning whether they had any faith at all.

I appreciate your comments about the early church's struggles to understand and accept the gospel of grace, and the original tension between Paul and some of the apostles. But if we take this into consideration and realize the intention of James in his letter, we can work through his choice of words and see that he was not impressed with the lack of love he was observing. He understood that real Christians were usually behaving better than what he was observing. Therefore, he questioned their faith. He was not telling them to add works to their faith, he was telling them to show that their faith is real by their works.
Listen, brother, if the letter should not be in the bible, then take it up with God. Because if He was not in control of what is in it, then we have no stability in trusting any of what is in it.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Sargento said:
When was Abraham justified? When he prove it or when he believed GOD?
Are you justified Sarge ?.... How ... ? .... When .... ? .... when you believed ...? .... or is it after you die ...? .... or in front of the judgement throne ... ? ... Can you prove it ?

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Rose...
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
You need to start believing what the bible says:

This is the work of God: that you believe into the one [the father] set apart. John 6:29

So believing into Christ is a work of GOD... Actually it is the work of GOD. Doing good to others are the works that come next:

And do not neglect doing good and generosity, for God is pleased with such sacrifices. Hebrews 13:16

Instead of throwing out questions about what we believe, and then refuting the responses as if you know something better, why don't you just come out and openly and fully and plainly tell us what you believe? Personally, I'm a little sick of this technique.
How is that against what I said?? What I said is that fruits and works are not the same... fruits are in the spirit, but works in the flesh.

What I'm doing is showing your mistakes because if you see them then you're ready to SEARCH truth, but while you think you're right why would you change?
Why do you think the law came first and only then grace came? That's how I show the truth also, it's not a "technique", it's how it has to be done.
But I have not been hiding anything ... what do you want to know about my faith?

Williemac...

If you want we'll talk about the parable of the talents later, I could also show you parables in my favor, but that's not what we're discussing, we are discussing what James teaches in this letter.

James was in no way suggesting to his readers that they were unsaved because of inferior works. He was questioning whether they had any faith at all.
That's yours words Willie, not James's....
James never questioned their faith, he questioned their works... he didn't even question the devils faith, only works!
The only thing he does is to devalue faith and value works.

I never said this letter shouldn't be in the Bible, it should and it is by the will of GOD and does its job perfectly.

Arnie...

Are you justified Sarge ?.... How ... ? .... When .... ? .... when you believed ...? .... or is it after you die ...? .... or in front of the judgement throne ... ? ... Can you prove it ?
This is not really an answer to what I ask!! You now that right?

Yes, i'm justified.
By the grace of GOD.
When?? Since he called me.... which was when I believed.
When I die I'll be with Christ and my brothers before me ... and in the last day all shall be presented before HIM and the seeds separated, then the wicked judgement will start but the saints will not be judged, only the wicked will, the believers are already eternally alive.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life.
John 5:24

Prove it? Only to the one's who believe also!
I can prove my salvation as much as I can prove gospel it self! To some my salvation its notorious, but for others (who look at my flesh) there's no proof!
I can show my Holiness only to the same Christ can, who can see me (not my flesh) sees Christ in me, but not all have eyes.

But this is not what we're discussing (the judgement) ... I'll start a topic about these matters later too.

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
James 2:21-24 does not show the full context. He wrote about faith shown towards man, not towards God,.i.e. how one human being can know whether another has saving faith (James 2:18).

Salvation is by faith as Paul says. But saving faith will result in works, which are the outward evidence of true faith. A faith that does not result in an outward change of life is not saving faith.

Paul and James both refer to Abraham, but they don't speak of the same event. Paul referred to Genesis 15:6, where Abraham's faith came first, along with his being declared righteous. James referred to Abraham's work of faith that came much later (Genesis 22:8-10). God had already declared Abraham righteous. He offering of Isaac just proved it.

Faith, in itself, cannot save. It is the One you have faith in who saves.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
HI Andy...
So this faith is not a saving faith?

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
{Saying}, Blessed {are} they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Romans 4:5-7

Yes, they talk about different events, and just like you said Abraham was declared righteous in the first, NOT THE SECOND... so why is James taking GOD's words from when he believed and using them in when he worked?

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
The works in Romans 4:5-7 refers to works used to earn salvation. The works James speaks of is works that are evidence of salvation. Salvation leads to works, not the other way around.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
AndyBern said:
The works in Romans 4:5-7 refers to works used to earn salvation. The works James speaks of is works that are evidence of salvation. Salvation leads to works, not the other way around.
^^^ This.

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Andy, I made you 2 questions that you did not answer...

HI Andy...
So this faith is not a saving faith?

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
{Saying}, Blessed {are} they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Romans 4:5-7

Yes, they talk about different events, and just like you said Abraham was declared righteous in the first, NOT THE SECOND... so why is James taking GOD's words from when he believed and using them in when he worked?

...the works of James are the justifying kind of works.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
James 2:21

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
Yes, but those works justify us before man, not before God. James' point is how you show your faith before man, not before God. God was satisfied with Abraham's faith when he believed in Him. But we are not satisfied that someone has faith until we see the works.

Here's another way of looking at it. Ephesians 2:8-10 says:

...for by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, that no one would boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

Salvation is not of works (otherwise it would not be by grace), but it is for works.

An apple tree is an apple tree as soon as it germinates, but it 'justifies' itself by producing apples.

Reactions: dragonfly

Robertson

Jun 11, 2013
They are preaching the same gospel. But as all preachers do, they preach to the audience at hand. If members of the audience are needing to be taught in a specific subject, they will teach to that. In the case of Paul, he was preaching to Jewish converts in Rome that still had their hearts on keeping the law of Moses. They had lost sight that even though the law was important, it was of no effect if faith in God was not present. In other words, you Jewish converts need to have faith in god... faith faith faith and don't lost sight of it. In other writings from Paul he will tell people who think that faith is all they need that they need to keep the commandments and not commit sin. He teaches both doctrines to different audiences at different times. It is because both are needed.

Believe it or not, but Paul and James were not speaking to us. They were not writing to us. They knew nothing of a Bible that would be compiled with SOME of their writings hundreds of years later. They were writing to very specific people with very specific problems that needed to hear one aspect of the gospel that would get them to live the other. So, anyone in our day can take these things out of context, pick one verse and build a whole doctrine around it while forgetting about the whole of the scriptural writings. That's why you get people arguing about grace or works.

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Robertson said:
They are preaching the same gospel. But as all preachers do, they preach to the audience at hand. If members of the audience are needing to be taught in a specific subject, they will teach to that. In the case of Paul, he was preaching to Jewish converts in Rome that still had their hearts on keeping the law of Moses. They had lost sight that even though the law was important, it was of no effect if faith in God was not present. In other words, you Jewish converts need to have faith in god... faith faith faith and don't lost sight of it. In other writings from Paul he will tell people who think that faith is all they need that they need to keep the commandments and not commit sin. He teaches both doctrines to different audiences at different times. It is because both are needed.

Believe it or not, but Paul and James were not speaking to us. They were not writing to us. They knew nothing of a Bible that would be compiled with SOME of their writings hundreds of years later. They were writing to very specific people with very specific problems that needed to hear one aspect of the gospel that would get them to live the other. So, anyone in our day can take these things out of context, pick one verse and build a whole doctrine around it while forgetting about the whole of the scriptural writings. That's why you get people arguing about grace or works.

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
you nailed it robertson

Sargento

Jul 14, 2013
Sorry for the delay...

Arnie...
AndyBern said:
Yes, but those works justify us before man, not before God. James' point is how you show your faith before man, not before God. God was satisfied with Abraham's faith when he believed in Him. But we are not satisfied that someone has faith until we see the works.

Here's another way of looking at it. Ephesians 2:8-10 says:

...for by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, that no one would boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.

Salvation is not of works (otherwise it would not be by grace), but it is for works.

An apple tree is an apple tree as soon as it germinates, but it 'justifies' itself by producing apples.

No Arnie, he was talking about salvation and the justification before GOD ... that scripture (" it was imputed unto him for righteousness") he uses to conclude his argument about works is about Abraham's justification before GOD, not man...

What {doth it} profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be {ye} warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what {doth it} profit?
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. {alone: Gr. by itself}
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. {without: some copies read, by}
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? {Seest...: or, Thou seest}
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:14-24

Robertson...

Hi Robertson, before I show they're not preaching the same gospel tell me:

-What is the Gospel? Define it...

In other writings from Paul he will tell people who think that faith is all they need that they need to keep the commandments and not commit sin
Regarding to justification?? Show me this...

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
As James wrote, Abraham was declared righteous by God when he believed in him, not when he did the works. The works were only the evidence that what God had declared was true...

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness:

This verse is not about Abraham being saved at the time he offered Isaac. It is about what God had done earlier in declaring Abraham righteous being proven true.

I am not against works. True faith will result in works, but works do not save. Faith does not save. Only God saves - only He can impute righteousness. And He does so in response to faith.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
AndyBern said:
As James wrote, Abraham was declared righteous by God when he believed in him, not when he did the works. The works were only the evidence that what God had declared was true...

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness:

This verse is not about Abraham being saved at the time he offered Isaac. It is about what God had done earlier in declaring Abraham righteous being proven true.

I am not against works. True faith will result in works, but works do not save. Faith does not save. Only God saves - only He can impute righteousness. And He does so in response to faith.
Exactly. Good point.
In fact, James mentioned the real issue in his letter. Humility. (James 4:8). We may well be saved by grace through the method of faith, but the thing which qualifies us for grace is that we humble ourselves. While people get caught up in the discussion of faith vs. works, it is helpful to remember the reason that faith is the chosen method over works, for grace. It is because God has chosen an avenue that excludes any cause for boasting (Eph.2:8), which is pride, which God resists. The fact that James mentioned this should tell us that he would never have meant to contradict himself. Abraham's justification according to James, was not the same justification that Paul was referring to. We can be justified for many things. We are justified to receive grace through humility. James said it.
What Abraham was justified for was to have righteousness placed on his account. It was his faith that justified him for this. But it was his willingness to sacrifice his son that proved his faith. So in a round about way, his work of sacrificing his son justified him. But only in the sense that it revealed his heart, that he believed God. We know that this is what James meant by simply reading the letter.

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
AndyBern said:
THE FOLLOWING IS WHY LUTHER at first HAD DOUBTS ABOUT The book of James Luther was not sure if james was God word or not .. read what james says

james is saying in james 2 he justifies men by what "he" james sees.. note --james justifying BY WHAT HE SEES cant save any one from their sins.

Luther finaly accepted that james was originaly part of the bible because God was showing the difference how men justify and how God justifies..

God is saying in Romans He justifies the ungodly .. :) JESUS IS THE LAMB OF GOD WHO TAKES THE SINS OF THE WORLD AWAY........ THINK of the worst people you can think of-- RADICAL ISLAMISTS OR WHO EVER God DECLAIRED THEM RIGHT WITH HIM ALSO fOR tHE SAKE OF Jesus who died for their sins.

Hitler God declaired right with him for the sake of jesus who died for him..

me and yopu also..

THAT MEANS even THIS BIBLE VERSE IS TRUE..

"FOR GOD WAS RECONCILLING THE """WORLD"" TO HIMSELF IN CHRIST NOT COUNTING MENS SINS AGAINST THEM.

FIRST PART IS OBJECTIVE jUSTIFICATION --WHOLE WORLD

Romans 5:7-9
New International Version (NIV)

7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since we have now been justified by his blood,---

subjective justification ------- Individuals go to heaven -------- through faith in jesus merits alone
how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
Paul states that Abraham's works are not what is important, but his Faith, through which he was justified. He gives the physical example, showing a work that Abraham preformed because of his preexisting faith.

James states that without preexisting faith, Abraham would not have been able to do the work he was told to do. His works proved the faith he already had.

In both James' and Paul's message... The result of faith is works...

Yet both men are delivering slightly different messages... As I understand it...
...Paul says Abraham's works were not what God was looking at, but his faith...
...James says Abraham's works are a physical manifestation of faith... and that the 2 go together.