Jesus appeared to Cephas, then to the TWELVE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
After Jesus' ascension, Acts 1:

26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.
1 Corinthians 15:

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
Wait a minute. Judas died. There were only eleven.

Paul might not have been perfectly accurate here. By "twelve", he meant "eleven". Alternatively, Matthias could have been there with the eleven before he was chosen to replace Judas.

6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.
Pulpit offered another possible explanation:

"the twelve" is here the designation of an office, and great ancient writers are always indifferent to mere pragmatic accuracy in trifles which involve nothing.

Prycejosh1987

May 20, 2024
Balsall Heath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul might not have been perfectly accurate here. By "twelve", he meant "eleven". Alternatively, Matthias could have been there with the eleven before he was chosen to replace J
I believe it was God ordained because After Judas died they gathered men to replace Judas who had to meet a certain criteria. Understand Jesus words, Seen Jesus, etc. So practically everyone there had a chance to be a disciple,m but they wanted to choose the 12th leader. But they bet on it, hoping God would ordain the decision. I personally believe that the true 12th disciple is Paul. Jesus chose Him personally. Matthias has no mention after that part of the story.

Reactions: Cassandra

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul might not have been perfectly accurate here. By "twelve", he meant "eleven". Alternatively, Matthias could have been there with the eleven before he was chosen to replace Judas.
I'd be careful before thinking a passage isn't accurate.

Acts 1:22 KJV
Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

Matthias was there from the beginning, and was a witness of all, including of Jesus' resurrection.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it was God ordained because After Judas died they gathered men to replace Judas who had to meet a certain criteria. Understand Jesus words, Seen Jesus, etc. So practically everyone there had a chance to be a disciple,m but they wanted to choose the 12th leader. But they bet on it, hoping God would ordain the decision. I personally believe that the true 12th disciple is Paul. Jesus chose Him personally. Matthias has no mention after that part of the story.
Other Apostles were not mentioned either.

I think that as Paul referred to "the 12", this indicates Paul didn't consider himself part of that number.

Much love!