Jesus could not do

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Interesting is it not that in Mark 6:5 it says that Jesus could do no mighty works and then one verse down it says He marveled at their unbelief. Their unbelief was holding back the hand of God in their lives for provision.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I wonder if there's more of a point to this.

I don't think that it's that God is held back by our lack of faith. Jesus even pulled Peter out of the water and said,,,,, "Oh ye of little faith.....".

Maybe the reason Jesus could do no mighty work there was because it wouldnt' do any good.

I wonder also, if a might work would be conversion of unbelievers. I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible that says, healing and the like are mighty works. Although, they seem mighty. Which is the most important? Salvation.

So, Jesus saying a prophet is not without honor except in his own house,,,,, Might show that they only believed him to be the carpenter, Joes son. In other words, Jesus tried to proclaim his divinity, yet was scoffed at and mocked because of who they believed him to truely be.

There has been nothing that held back the hand of God, If God choses to do something it will be done. Just as God said, "I cause the rain to fall on the wicked and the righteous", and also, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy".

The one thing that God doesn't force is faith.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
I wonder if there's more of a point to this.

I don't think that it's that God is held back by our lack of faith. Jesus even pulled Peter out of the water and said,,,,, "Oh ye of little faith.....".

Maybe the reason Jesus could do no mighty work there was because it wouldnt' do any good.

I wonder also, if a might work would be conversion of unbelievers. I haven't seen anywhere in the Bible that says, healing and the like are mighty works. Although, they seem mighty. Which is the most important? Salvation.

So, Jesus saying a prophet is not without honor except in his own house,,,,, Might show that they only believed him to be the carpenter, Joes son. In other words, Jesus tried to proclaim his divinity, yet was scoffed at and mocked because of who they believed him to truely be.

There has been nothing that held back the hand of God, If God choses to do something it will be done. Just as God said, "I cause the rain to fall on the wicked and the righteous", and also, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy".

The one thing that God doesn't force is faith.

If He does not force faith then faith holds back His hand. :)

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If He does not force faith then faith holds back His hand. :)

It is not the lack of faith that holds back his hand, but he holds back his hand. God has the power to do anything but he will not go against his own nature. His plan was before time, and all things fall according to his plan. As things unfold to us in our time, things are complete in his. He is "outside" what we understand as time, yet omnipresent with us in our time. Faith has no power over God as it is not us who have created him but he who creates us. A vessel filled with no faith is just that, perfect in every way God created it, lacking nothing to fulfill God's perfect plan and purpose.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not the lack of faith that holds back his hand, but he holds back his hand. God has the power to do anything but he will not go against his own nature. His plan was before time, and all things fall according to his plan. As things unfold to us in our time, things are complete in his. He is "outside" what we understand as time, yet omnipresent with us in our time. Faith has no power over God as it is not us who have created him but he who creates us. A vessel filled with no faith is just that, perfect in every way God created it, lacking nothing to fulfill God's perfect plan and purpose.

Great post! It seems so simple that God will not go against His nature - but the opposition to this idea is fierce on this board.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Yeah... I was just thinking the other day that I have more faith in advil than I do in God... when I take advil I know my headache's gonna be gone in 20 minutes without a doubt... but when I ask God to remove my headache I'm like, "We'll see if it's still there in 20 minutes and IF it is I'll take some advil because I know that shiz works" Pretty fricken pathetic on my part... sorry Dad...

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah... I was just thinking the other day that I have more faith in advil than I do in God... when I take advil I know my headache's gonna be gone in 20 minutes without a doubt... but when I ask God to remove my headache I'm like, "We'll see if it's still there in 20 minutes and IF it is I'll take some advil because I know that shiz works" Pretty fricken pathetic on my part... sorry Dad...

We know Advil "might" work. It doesn't work everytime, but, that's also because the pain isn't caused by inflamation everytime. However, We have faith in Advil, because, if we take Advil, it wont say to us, "There's a reason I'm going to let you experience this headache."

It's sometimes hard to have faith in God, as in, that He will heal you, because, that maynot be his plan. I think we still have faith in God, we just don't understand Him.

In the same sense, The Lord did give us wisdom to create something like Advil, aswell as many other natural remedies. I think that's a mercy from God, and we use those in faith, because we know God created them for a purpose, and that purpose wont let us down.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I think it's more because from the time I was a child I was trained to put my faith in man and not God... like I said... sorry Father I trust in things created by man more than the power of you... no excuses... just confession... but that's just how I do it... everyone else can see it how they choose...

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
We know Advil "might" work. It doesn't work everytime, but, that's also because the pain isn't caused by inflamation everytime. However, We have faith in Advil, because, if we take Advil, it wont say to us, "There's a reason I'm going to let you experience this headache."

It's sometimes hard to have faith in God, as in, that He will heal you, because, that maynot be his plan. I think we still have faith in God, we just don't understand Him.

In the same sense, The Lord did give us wisdom to create something like Advil, aswell as many other natural remedies. I think that's a mercy from God, and we use those in faith, because we know God created them for a purpose, and that purpose wont let us down.

Jesus paid the price for our healing the night before He went to the cross for our salvation. From Genesis to Revelation is is his will for us to be healed.
That is one of the lies that the devil likes for us to believe is that it is not god's will for us to be healed. Truth is Jesus was sent to destroy the works of the enemy and sickness is one of those works. To believe different is to believe a lie.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I agree religusnut... death, sickness, etc are God's enemies, not his friends... and our Father wants to deliver us...

And what good Father wouldn't want to deliver their children from such things...

I take responsibility for my lack of freedom... I believe it's my lack of faith and belief that hinders me and not God's lack of power or desire...

The same way Jesus looked at Jerusalem and weeped and said, "If Only!" I'm pretty sure my Father probably looks at me everyday and says, "If Only"

Father help!!!

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
I agree religusnut... death, sickness, etc are God's enemies, not his friends... and our Father wants to deliver us...

And what good Father wouldn't want to deliver their children from such things...

I take responsibility for my lack of freedom... I believe it's my lack of faith and belief that hinders me and not God's lack of power or desire...

The same way Jesus looked at Jerusalem and weeped and said, "If Only!" I'm pretty sure my Father probably looks at me everyday and says, "If Only"

Father help!!!

Actually Robbie many times our faith is destroyed because we try to figure out the things of God instead of just obeying them.

There are few things, in fact I don't know of any that simple repentance and forgiveness won't set free. Because it is so simple most people don't even take a second look.

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010

Father help!!!

Look at this way Robbie. There was no sickness or death before sin entered this world. There will be none after it leaves this world.

Father help!!!

Look at this way Robbie. There was no sickness or death before sin entered this world. There will be none after it leaves this world.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus talked quite a bit about the disciple's lack of faith, but I am not sure it was a judgment of their character - as if they were being bad for having a lack of faith. Instead, I think He was simply pointing out reality - giving them a picture of where they were at, spiritually. The point is not to try harder to have faith - faith is a pure gift of God and a by-product of knowing God through prayer, the Bible, and practicing our sanctification through love. Experience with God leads to awe, wonder and faith.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Don't get me wrong,

I'm not saying that Jesus didn't pay the price, and that God doesn't want us healed. However,, (don't I always have one of those?)

Who was it? I think maybe Paul suggested to Timothy? to have a little wine because of his health?

Seems to be that it's a bigger trick of the devil to accuse. Isn't it?

Take an asprin, the devil says, "You don't believe in God! You're failing by taking that!" How about some tea with lemon, and honey,, Do you have a cold and take medicine? Will the devil say the same thing? Yep!

I honestly don't believe the Lord wants us all to be healed of everything. For many, their infirmities are blessings to them and to others.

If I didn't have the infirmities I have (arthritis) , I guarantee you that I would be arrogant about my physical strength. If I didn't have the mental disorder I have (OCD, and general low seritonin), I guarantee, I would be arrogant about my intelligence. If I didn't have a blemish on my face (rosacia), Yep, I'd be conceited too.

God changes hearts, but, He goes the extra mile for those of us who need more work.

So, if I take anything to manage any of the above things, am I not trusting God? Or is God providing a mercy?

We could argue that my heart is bad and that the Lord hasn't changed it or I haven't allowed Him to change it,,,,,,,,,,, Or we can see that because of these things I am humbled where I otherwise wouldn't be. :)

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Good point whiteknuckle...

I heard someone say once that you know whether something is from God or satan because if it's from God it will cause you to want to draw closer to Him... and if it's from satan it will make you want to run away... like conviction of sin... if it makes you want to repent and turn to Him it's from God... if it makes you feel condemned and like you should just give up it's from satan...

For me I confess me not fully experiencing His power because of my lack of faith because I want to draw closer to Him... I want to experience the fullness of the victory Christ earned for us on the Cross... I don't want to wait for heaven... I want to experience the fullness of His will and Kingdom on earth... the last enemy of His defeated being death... and I want to see that on earth... if it's not in heaven I don't want to see it on earth... so for me it's healthy... because it creates in me a desire to see the fullness of His Kingdom on Earth...

On the other hand it can be a negative thing... if I feel like me not experiencing victory because of my lack of faith makes me feel worthless which makes me want to give up and turn away from God that's not good... the revelation of our lack being us and not God shouldn't cause us to lose hope... it should give us hope... because if the problem is the lack of God's willingness or power there's no hope because I can't change God... but if the problem is simply my own lack then I can get excited about my walk with God and Him growing my faith until every last enemy in me is put under His feet... because I can't change God... but God can change me...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not think that God relies on evil to teach good. He does bring goodness out of evil, but this is an entirely different prospect. God never wanted evil / sin / disease to enter the world and He wants the best outcome for us.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I do not think that God relies on evil to teach good. He does bring goodness out of evil, but this is an entirely different prospect. God never wanted evil / sin / disease to enter the world and He wants the best outcome for us.

*LIKE*

I've also come to really dislike sayings such as, "You can't have the light without the darkness"

The truth is you can't have light with darkness... because when light is present the darkness is absent...

It's like saying you can't know the good without the bad...

I could go my whole life only ever drinking good milk and love good milk... and the reality is taking a drink out of milk that has gone bad not only wouldn't make the good milk taste better... it might ruin the taste of milk for me all together...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*LIKE*

I've also come to really dislike sayings such as, "You can't have the light without the darkness"

The truth is you can't have light with darkness... because when light is present the darkness is absent...

It's like saying you can't know the good without the bad...

I could go my whole life only ever drinking good milk and love good milk... and the reality is taking a drink out of milk that has gone bad not only wouldn't make the good milk taste better... it might ruin the taste of milk for me all together...

Absolutely! Teaching that good is dependent on evil is like saying heat is dependent on cold. If Good was dependent on Evil - we would have had to sin in the Garden to know good and the Devil would have to exist to define God. Dualism has no place in Christianity.