Jesus... had a House!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a fun topic that will make some people's head explode! funny.gif

Lot of folks don't realize Jesus had a house!

Mark 2:1,2 (NASV)
When He [Jesus] had come back to Capernaum several days afterward; it was heard that He was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room, not even near the door; and He was speaking to them.

Mark 2:13-15
And he went forth again by the sea side; and all the multitude resorted unto him, and he taught them.
And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.
And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in His house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him.

Alphaeus was following Jesus to Jesus' house... Jesus was not following Alphaeus to Alphaeus' house.

John 1:38,39
Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?
He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.

In Luke 9:58, and Matthew 8:20 when Jesus said He had no place to lay His head, He was obviously not in His hometown where He lived when he said this. Plus, the He had no favor among the religious jews who would have threatened those that supported Jesus so when He was out of his hometown ministering He would not have been able to rent a room for the evening in most places He visited around Israel.

Some of the disciples, apostles, had houses....

Matthew 8:14
And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.

Mark 1:29-33
And forthwith, when they were come out of the synagogue, they entered into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.
But Simon's wife's mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.
And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils.
And all the city was gathered together at the door.

Did Jesus own a home in Capernaum?
Many have the impression Jesus was an itinerant preacher, traveling from place to place around Galilee preaching the Gospel. However, there is a hint that early on Jesus owned His own house.
In Mark 2, we have the account of Jesus being at a house in Capernaum. So many people had gathered that a group of men were forced to cut a hole in the roof to lower their paralytic friend down to Jesus for healing.
But notice what Mark says in verse 1:

When He [Jesus] had come back to Capernaum several days afterward; it was heard that He was at home. And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room, not even near the door; and He was speaking to them. (NASV)

It talks about this house being Jesus’ home. By the size of the crowd it was obvious Jesus was a bit of a celebrity in the city. This verse also suggests it was not the first time people had gathered at Jesus’ house, as people were waiting for Him to return.

We have a similar mention of Jesus’ home in John 1:38-43. This passage records Jesus visit with John the Baptist where he calls Jesus the Lamb of God. Two of John’s disciples (one being Andrew, Peter’s brother) asked Jesus where He was staying.

In verse 39, Jesus took the two disciples to His house, where they stayed for the rest of the day and perhaps even over night. It was during this visit that Andrew convinced Peter — who was also living in Capernaum (Mark 1:29) — to visit Jesus at His home.

We know from the Gospels that Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Matthew 2:1) but grew up in Nazareth with His parents (Luke 4:16). Matthew adds this tidbit:

And leaving Nazareth, He [Jesus] came and settled in Capernaum which is by the sea, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtaill. (Matthew 4:13 NASV).

At some point, Jesus moved to Capernaum. He would need a place to live, so he obtained a house or being a carpenter or more probably a stonemason (Mark 6:3) maybe even built His own. We are not told the specifics of Jesus’ living arrangements.
In his commentary, William Barclay has this to say about the Greek word “tekton” translated carpenter:

The word used for “carpenter” is [@tekton], meaning not a mere worker in wood. It means “a craftsman”, more than merely a joiner. In Homer the [@tekton] is said to build ships and houses and temples.

Matthew notes in verse 14 that Jesus’ move to Capernaum fulfilled an Old Testament prophecy (Isaiah 9:1-6) about the Messiah coming from this region. Matthew also adds in verse 17, that it was after His move to Capernaum, that Jesus began His ministry.
It appears from a statement made later, that Jesus eventually abandoned His house and traveled around Israel preaching the Gospel:

Jesus said to him, “The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” (Matthew 8:20 NASV)

However, Jesus’ ministry basically started off as a simple home group in Capernaum. It was here that Jesus came in contact with four of his disciples — Levi (Mathew), Peter, James and John (Mark 1:29).

Shortly after his decision to follow Christ, Matthew had a party at his home (Mark 2:14-17) where he invited many of his coworkers — fellow tax-collectors — to meet Jesus and His disciples. This was possibly a going away party for Matthew, who Luke said left everything to follow Christ.

This party at Levi’s home may have marked the transition point, when Jesus moved from a house-based ministry to a national one.
But we see several times the group returned to Capernaum, which Matthew describes as “His [Jesus] own city” (Matthew 9:1). It is generally believed they probably stayed at Peter’s house, who we know was married and had his mother-in law staying with him (Matthew 8: 5, 14).
But in the end, Jesus would curse Capernaum because of the amount of time He invested in that community and the inhabitants refusal to repent:

And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will descend to Hades; for if the miracles had occurred in Sodom which occurred in you, it would have remained to this day. 24 Nevertheless I say to you that it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you.” (Matthew 11:23-24 NASV).

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so ya know.....I'm NOT cleaning up the mess!
1000016929.png

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
laughing2.gif
I posted this on another board a couple years ago and I was very surprised to learn that because I found scripture that says Jesus had a house... I was going to hell! funny.gif

• Haha
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 39540
I posted this on another board a couple years ago and I was very surprised to learn that because I found scripture that says Jesus had a house... I was going to hell! View attachment 39541
Seeing as he had an earthly mother, Mary, it is safe to think he also had a home.

Wasn't it the eldest sons responsibility to take care of the widowed mother.

He did appoint her another son, John, the beloved, to continue that care at the cross.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 39540
I posted this on another board a couple years ago and I was very surprised to learn that because I found scripture that says Jesus had a house... I was going to hell! View attachment 39541
When ppl fail to study the word of God they lack any idea what is written within other than their pet scripts to back false doctrine, their mantras, or opinions !

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm thinking while growing up Jesus was very highly successful and highly skilled at being a craftsman so I doubt very seriously His family was living in poverty.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm thinking while growing up Jesus was very highly successful and highly skilled at being a craftsman so I doubt very seriously His family was living in poverty.
The ppl plus scribes & Pharisees recognized him as a carpenter.

Mark 6:3
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ppl plus scribes & Pharisees recognized him as a carpenter.

The word used for carpenter is supposed to be craftsman so he probably did more than just build houses

He was probably what guys in this trade would call a Master Craftsman meaning He was highly skilled in all aspects of building and making stuff.

God's Word doesn't get in to all the details about what all Jesus worked on, but knowing He is perfect and walked in righteousness all the days of His life, I'd imagine He was highly skilled and very successful.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word used for carpenter is supposed to be craftsman so he probably did more than just build houses

He was probably what guys in this trade would call a Master Craftsman meaning He was highly skilled in all aspects of building and making stuff.

God's Word doesn't get in to all the details about what all Jesus worked on, but knowing He is perfect and walked in righteousness all the days of His life, I'd imagine He was highly skilled and very successful.
I cannot wait to meet him.
I want to hear everything that God ever did, saw or thought.

It will be so glorious to be in his presence. I can't even begin to imagine the beautiful perfection of heaven !

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too! We will be learning much since we will know... as we are known!

The Lord can't wait until His bride comes home as He has much to reveal to us in real time.

1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Meanwhile... we have some very serious blessing by having God's Word and the Holy Ghost!

John 16:15
All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

1 Corinthians 2:12
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

• Love

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:Zek: and I fully agree. If it were not for his precious word to guide, comfort, to use in battle against the enemy, trust in and stand on I'd have given up years ago.

John 6:67-69
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.