Joel Osteen and Doing Well

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorite scriptures...

If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.- Exodus 15:26

God said that he would put none... Zero... Of the diseases that he brought upon the Egyptians. In my life... In Pentecostal circles... I find few people doing well. In our two local PH churches in our area, our pastor is ate up with cancer, and the pastor of the near by Sunnyside PH church has got liver disease. And most Pentecostal Holiness churches are simply not doing well in attendance either. Notice that God said that if you would do right in his sight... There is a New Testament scripture that goes along with this...

For this cause (not taking communion properly) many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. - 1 Corinthians 11:30

Notice the key words...

Weak - Sick and without energy
Sickly - Diseased
Sleep - Dead

I see too much of this in our day and time. I can't tell you of the people I have met on the Internet who post stuff saying that they are 'skeered' and do not know whats going on. Then they quit posting. I don't know if they died or what... But they were in dire straights before all that happened. My thoughts with many whom I have met on the Internet is simply 'how have they been saved for so long and are not doing any better?'

I find four needs in this day and time...

1. Righteousness - People have got to follow righteous paths! I think the Georgian pastor Jentezen Franklin does an excellent job in presenting this lifestyle.
2. Encouragement - People have got to be encouraged to claim the many promises that God has out there for them!
3. Prayer - A person may be ugly and only 5 foot tall... But he is beautiful and very powerful down on his knees!
4. Praise - Time to praise God for the victory!

Now we are ready to do well!

I get a little flack from time to time of the Joel Osteen stuff I post online. My thoughts are that, with the people I have met online, that many are not doing well in life and need the encouragement... In which Joel comes through in this department. But, when accused of materialism and a lack of Word knowledge, I don't defend the guy either. But... How many educated preachers are a source of encouragement these days?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I came from a Baptist church in which the people there very elegant. The Spirit of God came mightily in my heart in the Pentecostal church as a teenager so I fell in with them. Though I love the communion of the Spirit of God I have ran into many who simply do not do well. People where there is much room for improvement. One time our group was on a hike and took off our shoes to wade in the water. Well, one of the guys with us had so little motivation that his toe nails had grown long and curled up. I am like Dennis, cut your toenails dude!

There are times when I go into peoples houses and the place stinks. The house is a mess and unorganized. I helped a lady at the Salvation Army and was taken back on what a filth hole she lived in. I would have been afraid to sit on the sofa not knowing what kind of vermin would jump out on me. And there were stains on the upholstery that I did not want to guess where they came from.

So I am not talking about making a million dollars in life. I am talking about living a clean, decent, Christian life.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.- Exodus 15:26 :)

God said that he would put none... Zero... Of the diseases that he brought upon the Egyptians. :)
:)

I am never sick- I am always happy - I focus on the things above and not on the earth - I know I am a daughter of a King and all of His riches are there for me...my inheritance to accept - I am a cheerful overcomer of any obstacle...
And Why? Because I believe every single promise Jesus said.

I have "tested" or practiced them ---- Try giving Him each and every burden ---loosing your keys when you are already running late --- giving up any anxiety over paying bills ---every single minor thing and all the big ones -
do I know many Christians that do that ---more and more are. :)

My friends of 36 years see the diffrence in me in the last 5 years, I wish they could
tell you what I say is the truth
and I'm not some yaya just saying stuff anonymously on a forum.

Everything Jesus said is true...He came for us to have n abundant life - in our home, health, relationships, also.
The power to have it all is right here.

Now if you don't believe that - then it is like what Thomas Edison said:
If you believe you can, you are correct. If you believe you can't, you are correct.

Focusing on others and fearing evil, fearing the recession is Nowhere'sville...focusing on the things
above is what we were instructed to do.
I do that and by golly ---it works!!!

Try for one week to put 2 things into practice...do not worry and let's see...
Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first ----before anything else --contemplate day and night what that even means and seek it diligently....report back in one week. Ha!

(If you can not, for one week, seek the Kindgom of Heaven first --then what have you been doing all this time?)
:) Miss Hepburn

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.- Exodus 15:26

God said that he would put none... Zero... Of the diseases that he brought upon the Egyptians. In my life... In Pentecostal circles... I find few people doing well. In our two local PH churches in our area, our pastor is ate up with cancer, and the pastor of the near by Sunnyside PH church has got liver disease. And most Pentecostal Holiness churches are simply not doing well in attendance either. Notice that God said that if you would do right in his sight... There is a New Testament scripture that goes along with this...

For this cause (not taking communion properly) many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. - 1 Corinthians 11:30

Notice the key words...

Sickly - Diseased
Sleep - Dead

I see too much of this in our day and time. I can't tell you of the people I have met on the Internet who post stuff saying that they are 'skeered' and do not know whats going on. Then they quit posting. I don't know if they died or what... But they were in dire straights before all that happened. My thoughts with many whom I have met on the Internet is simply 'how have they been saved for so long and are not doing any better?'

1. Righteousness - People have got to follow righteous paths! I think the Georgian pastor Jentezen Franklin does an excellent job in presenting this lifestyle.
2. Encouragement - People have got to be encouraged to claim the many promises that God has out there for them!
3. Prayer - A person may be ugly and only 5 foot tall... But he is beautiful and very powerful down on his knees!

I get a little flack from time to time of the Joel Osteen stuff I post online. My thoughts are that, with the people I have met online, that many are not doing well in life and need the encouragement... In which Joel comes through in this department. But, when accused of materialism and a lack of Word knowledge, I don't defend the guy either. But... How many educated preachers are a source of encouragement these days?

Osteen is not strictly a gospel preaching man. He takes tremendous liberties with content, purpose and object. The man is an opportunist.

Proof of the assertion is that his staff has a strict restriction AGAINST hiring or placing people with formal religious training in his organization. There are a few token persons in the organization, but generally speaking its a policy. Why? It's a marketing group, not an institution of education.

Further proof can be found in public statements from Joel himself that the principle requirment for admission into heaven is NOT belief in Christ. Osteen can't restrict contributors by saying they MUST accept Christ else his level of donations will diminish. There are rumors of sexual and financial impropriety among members of his staff. I have the information from a witness, one who was once employed in the organization. Obviously I cannot testify directly to these acts since I've not seen them myself, but be certain that when and if I do, it'll be posted liberally everywhere. Osteen does not preach the gospel. Whether he's a Christian or not is a matter between himself and God.

As to sickness and ailments of our day versus the Biblical standard of the ancient Hebrew people I think I need to point out to everyone that we live in different times. The Hebrews lived in an agragrian society which was governed by leaders who were of a mind to obey God and to love and serve those over whom they were appointed as leaders. This is not true today as we all know.

American society is industrial in nature. Our farmers are exposed to as much envrionmental risk as any factory worker (possibly more so). My brother in law has given me an earful from time to time.

Our governance is thrust upon us by secular leaders who are anti-God, increasingly anti-Christian and anti-citizen. They are motivated by profit and kickbacks from profit making industrialists. They do not seek nor do they work for the good of the nation as a whole. As a result all of us suffer. Literally.

Everything from dog food to people food, from necessities of life to building materials is tainted with poison. Everything. We now know that cancer as well as many lesser afflictions are triggered by poisons. The likelihood of a trigger being activated is increased substantially by chemicals in our food and environment.

For example, ingredients in popular dog foods produced by Purina, Iams and Eukanuba are now tainted (buy Blue Buffalo instead). Want proof? Look in the bottom of the bag. There is a powery substance there indicative of unknown fillers. You can ask your dog. Feed them a little of the aforementioned foods for a while and then let them sample the Buffalo. They won't volunteer to eat the old stuff again. Dog lovers we know won't feed their pets ANY processed dog food any more. Our family lost a beloved dog last year due to some unknown liver ailment, of WHICH NO ONE KNOWS the cause. Our pets are being poisoned.

Do you remember stories about toothpaste from China laced with poison? That came out a couple of years ago. What about mad cow disease? Has that simply "gone away" or has the press been told to shut up about it. Nobody knows the status of our beef. NOBODY. I personally acquired a very serious allergic reaction to certain sun block lotions. As a result I'm now being treated for a minor case of skin cancer. Sheetrock from China was recently shown to have embedded carcinogens. Those that installed it in their house became sick from the chemicals.

If we were to live as the ancient Hebrews did FROM BEFORE BIRTH, I'm sure we'd have none of the modern afflictions. The problem is that we don't; three mile island, Love Canal (an entire community of homes built on top of a toxic waste dump), high voltage electrical transmission lines near your home, carbon monoxide emissions from our cars and trucks. Just watching TV or reading this message on your computer is a risk. Did you know that the plastic keys on your keyboard and the insulation on the wire for your mouse (unless its wireless) are TOXIC?

Bottom line is that these issues are not a failure of God's providence for us. They aren't a failure of faith either; Pentacostal, Catholic, Baptist or even the Osteen crowd. They are endemic to our society. Period.

Now faith is the substance of God's grace toward us. The grace of Our Lord is sufficient to be with us in times of health and in times of increasing risk of exposure to the hazards of industrialization gone wild. Always remember that sooner or later death will have us all. When that happens Our Gracious Lord will be with us - even then. I praise God for His faithfulness.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rocky,
I'll never give you flack re Joel.
I have no preconceived ideas how he 'should' speak - he could talk about car tune-ups and how
they relate to our lives and never say the name Jesus - what do I care if he
says a scripture verse or not?
And if he packs 'em in... What is that to me?
I love him and his message...
And the message of Jesus - love, have an abundant life, with no worries and
live right in our Father's eyes, love our neighbor and God...when Joel goes against those messages
we may have to talk.

Imagine a person talking about love, how to show love, how to be happy and do good in the community with clarity, confidence, power and joy ---Oh, I don't have to - Joel is already doing it.

Shame on him....sarcasm alert, sorry.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish Joel would just be honest and call himself what he really is, a motivational speaker.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I wish Joel would just be honest and call himself what he really is, a motivational speaker.

I'm with you Aspen, Joel is part of a group that teach a self help gospel, even his book titled "your best life now" is indicative of something contrary to scripture.
There are some representations in the NT scriptures of some of these people today but it isn't positive.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that in the seven church locations each had their issues...

Ephesus... Church at the time of the apostles... Lost their first love
Smyrna... Church at the time of the martyrs... Few issues here!
Pergamos... Orthodoxy,.. The doctrine of the Nicolaitanes is to live the heathen lifestyle.
Thyatira... Catholic... The spirit of Jezebel is to kill, control, and to dominate...
Sardis... Protestant... Thinks they are alive... Note Thinks!
Philadelphia... Wesleyan.. Can't keep the revival going.
Laodicean... Word of Faith... Overdone in materialism,.

Ten years ago I developed a ringing in the ear and began to experience hearing loss and vertigo. My doctor said that I would likely go deaf in two years. So I quit going to him. As I needed the motivation I would turn to the Word of Faith movement which helped me. Eventually my ears got better and I experienced healing. As these were traumatic times I appreciate the good words. More than what the educated Rev Polar Bear would have done for me. I only hate the Word of Faith folks over do the materialism.

Watch the following service and tell me that this is not a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_e28NYb1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97wvigyovs

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Joel Osteen doesn't preach a Christian message at all. That is why he is so popular!

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not a bad idea - what does he call himself anyway?
Probably doesn't matter as much as what those that know him call him.

I'm not familiar with anything non Christian that he preaches, mentioned in a post here.

I dare say, anything that is said about him that he is supposed to fit into a limited concept constructed
in someone's mind as to the proper way to preach could be
considered by some to be non or un Christian in itself, I suppose.
(It being uncharitable; with parameters and rules placed on someone that interprets and encourages positively as opposed to
other's interpretations of how things should be presented, perhaps... should being a concept in itself.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh! Love the youtubes!!!! Thanks - wonderful as always. :)

**Can the time given us to do corrections be extended by 20 minutes
or something so it doesn't always show I edited a little typo!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not a bad idea - what does he call himself anyway?
Probably doesn't matter as much as what those that know him call him.

I'm not familiar with anything non Christian that he preaches, mentioned in a post here.

I dare say, anything that is said about him that he is supposed to fit into a limited concept constructed
in someone's mind as to the proper way to preach could be
considered by some to be non or un Christian in itself, I suppose.
(It being uncharitable; with parameters and rules placed on someone that interprets and encourages positively as opposed to
other's interpretations of how things should be presented, perhaps... should being a concept in itself.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh! Love the youtubes!!!! Thanks - wonderful as always. :)

**Can the time given us to do corrections be extended by 20 minutes
or something so it doesn't always show I edited a little typo!

Good posting there Ms H! I also need the extra time in posting too! As Hammerstone is an English major his opinion is more likely that we should take more time to think over our posts! haha!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not have anything against Joel as a motivational speaker, but could you imagine going to him with a real problem? The guy is not in reality when it comes to pastoral needs. He does not challenge his congregation. He has admitted that he leaves theology to the people who are good at it. If you want to feel good for no reason, by all means listen to Joel (and I am not discounting this - feeling good isn't a bad thing), but if you want to learn about scripture, theology and insight into application of scripture, go somewhere else.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Notice the key words...

Sickly - Diseased
Sleep - Dead

Good post!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I make this comment as I do not want anyone to get the wrong idea about taking communion and live in fear or bondage about whether they are doing things right or not.

This passage of scripture refers to those who attend the communal meal, bring some food with them and then start eating and drinking before everyone has arrived, especially widows and slaves who may not be able to contribute food which means that there would be no food for them to eat.

1Co 11:33 So that, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.
1Co 11:34 But if anyone hungers, let him eat at home, so that you do not come together to condemnation. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Joel Osteen doesn't preach a Christian message at all. That is why he is so popular!

Tis referred to as the self-help gospel and is very popular because self doesn't have to die.
Reminds me of something that Ravenhill said, "If Jesus would have preached the way many preach today, they wouldn't have crucified Him".

I make this comment as I do not want anyone to get the wrong idea about taking communion and live in fear or bondage about whether they are doing things right or not.

This passage of scripture refers to those who attend the communal meal, bring some food with them and then start eating and drinking before everyone has arrived, especially widows and slaves who may not be able to contribute food which means that there would be no food for them to eat.

1Co 11:33 So that, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.
1Co 11:34 But if anyone hungers, let him eat at home, so that you do not come together to condemnation. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

I agree with you, the Lord's communion was originally a meal shared with the others not just wine and bread, tis why it is referred to as the Lord's supper.

Paul said that their gathering was bad and not good because they did not love and respect each other and were dishonoring the Lord Jesus and His sacrifice at the cross when they acted the way.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a good sermon by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFyVjyvn5UI