John 3:5... YES! ANOTHER BAPTISM THREAD!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Since there is just one way to be saved/enter the kingdom. With there being no alternatives then there is a definite connection between being born again and doing the will of God. God has commanded water baptism (Matthews 28:19-20 cf Acts of the Apostles 10:47-48) and those who obediently submit to baptism (doing God's will) are the one's who are born again.

Sorry. Jesus said, I AM THE WAY, THE LIFE, THE WATER OF LIFE, THE DOOR. "He who does not enter by The Door into the sheepfold, the same is a thief and robbing murderer."

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I prefer to follow the example that Jesus and the Apostles gave us and be baptized in water. I suspect there is a reason they gave us that example to follow.

That will be you <preferring>, not <following>. You'll have to find John the baptist to go baptise you in the river Jordan. You will not find luck. And you cannot follow the apostles as your example because they set you no example, as simple as that. You tell yourself they did; they did not. They followed the risen Christ's authorisation of THEM and baptised "IN THE NAME" and successfully spread the Gospel across the world because Christ promised them the Holy Spirit to do the impossible for them. But they since, have all died.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
You are lost. Where are you? You don't know this way or that, in Matthew 28 or in Acts 8?

And what did you slip to mention between 'the' and 'Phillip'? Apostle? No, no apostle this Phillip was; Acts only knows of "Phillip the evangelist", "one of the seven" deacons. Acts 6:5, chapter 8 and 21:8.

Now in Acts 8:26 "a messenger of the Lord" -- one of the believers who (v8) "were scattered abroad" after the stoning of (v2) Stephen who "went everywhere preaching the word", inter alia (v5) in Samaria, (v25) "returned to Jerusalem", and he, "26 spake unto Phillip (the deacon) to go south towards Gaza from Jerusalem. 27 And as he went, he [incidentally] saw a man, a servant .." "29 Then said the spirit (his intuition) in Phillip, approach and stay with the chariot..." The rest we already discussed. No one, no agent, no messenger, no <Spirit>, and least of all <<Jesus commissioned disciples (or <humans>) to administer water baptism>> OR ANY BAPTISM WHATEVER. But the servant, defiantly taunted, "Here is water, what hinders me to be baptised?" But the deacon pleaded with the servant, Don't you understand, "If thou BELIEVEST with all thine heart, thou mayest". Note: “mayest”, not must, because "if thou BELIEVEST with all thine heart, thou SHALT be saved" as Paul declared; the grace of God is ENOUGH.
I cited Acts 8 and Phillip for Phillip is an example of the great commission of Christ (go, teach, baptize) being carried out where Phillip went, taught and baptized the eunuch. The Spirit did not miraculous illuminate the understanding of the eunuch apart from the word nor did the SPirit "spirit baptize" the eunuch. I do not know where you get the idea that the Spirit of verse 29 was nothing more than Phillip's intuition. Matthew 28:19-20 Mark 16:15-16 clearly shows disciples being commissioned to go teach and baptize. Paul was baptized himself (Acts 22:16) he baptized others (1 Corinthians 1:14,16) and taught the necessity of baptism (Rom 6:3-7; Gal 3:27; Col 2:11-14; etc) for Paul was under the great commission as other disciples are under it.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
If you take John 3:5 <consistent> with itself, you are saying Jesus told Nicodemus to be born twice out of "flesh", verse 6 <in the context>!
Jesus speaks of ONE birth that has two elements; 1) Spirit 2) water.

The role of water is water baptism
John 3:5----------Spirit++++++++++++water>>>>>>>>>>>in the kingdom
1 cor 12:13------Spirit+++++++++++baptized>>>>>>>>>>in the body
Tt 3:5-----------holy Ghost++++++laver of water>>>>>>>>>saved
Eph 5:26--------the word+++++++laver of water>>>>>>>>>cleansed

The Bible shows that "water" of Jn 3:5 is equivalent to "baptized" and "laver of water".

The role of the Spirit is the word, the Bible that the Spirit authored that instructs men on how to be saved in commanding men to be water baptized for remission of sins. Hence men are born again/begotten by the word, the gospel, James 1:18; 1 Peter 1:23; 1 Corinthians 4:15.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Thank you Earnest. In that case I leave you to your beliefs and will offer no more to you. I have presented my arguments and reasoning. Furthermore, new ideas were given by other posters that support my theory. If these are not enough to convince you, then it's time to end the discussion between us.

Please realize I am not against literal water baptism. Never have been.

You mentioned "theological bias". That is fine if you want to pin it on me... So long as you realize that you have it too.

Where is my bias in having water of Jn 3:5 mean literal water?

The bias is from those trying to get literal water out of the verse.

John 3:5-----------------SPirit+++++++++++water>>>>>>>>>>>>>>in the kingdom
1 Cor 12:13-------------Spirit+++++++++baptized>>>>>>>>>>>>>>in the body
Titus 3:5---------------Holy Ghost++++++laver of water>>>>>>>>>>>saved

Water = baptized = laver of water.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I cited Acts 8 and Phillip for Phillip is an example of the great commission of Christ (go, teach, baptize) being carried out where Phillip went, taught and baptized the eunuch. The Spirit did not miraculous illuminate the understanding of the eunuch apart from the word nor did the SPirit "spirit baptize" the eunuch. I do not know where you get the idea that the Spirit of verse 29 was nothing more than Phillip's intuition. Matthew 28:19-20 Mark 16:15-16 clearly shows disciples being commissioned to go teach and baptize. Paul was baptized himself (Acts 22:16) he baptized others (1 Corinthians 1:14,16) and taught the necessity of baptism (Rom 6:3-7; Gal 3:27; Col 2:11-14; etc) for Paul was under the great commission as other disciples are under it.

Re: <<Phillip is an example of the great commission of Christ (go, teach, baptize) being carried out>>
Refuted: "Philip the deacon" - Cruden's as well as Luke. He did carry out his mission: he explained the Name of God the Father Son and Holy Spirit and Salvation through faith in HIM Period. <<Phillip went, taught-and-baptized[*] the eunuch>>. YOUR words! [* Hendiadys]

Re: <<The Spirit did not miraculous illuminate the understanding of the eunuch apart from the word nor did the SPirit "spirit baptize" the eunuch (apart from the word).>>
Refuted: Again YOUR words indisputably clear and true!

Re: <<I do not know where you get the idea that the Spirit of verse 29 was nothing more than Phillip's intuition.>>
Refuted: It is written (as I quoted before) "the spirit IN HIM"-Philip. And as clear as clear blue sky, there, is nothing written like (Acts 8:16) <<go teach and baptize>>; which is what you ADD to Acts in between 8:26 and 35, On top you ADD baptise meaning, with 'WATER'-- NOWHERE ANYWHERE in the whole anecdote.

Re: <<Matthew 28:19-20 Mark 16:15-16 clearly shows disciples being commissioned to go teach and baptize.>>
Refuted: Matthew 28:19-20 Mark 16:15-16 clearly shows disciples being made apostles by the risen Christ who commissioned them and NOBODY ELSE to go teach and baptize.

Re: <<Paul was baptized himself (Acts 22:16)>>
Refuted: Paul was baptized "...CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD". Hendiadys. NO water!

RE: <<he baptized others (1 Corinthians 1:14,16)>>
Refuted: "...lest any should say that I baptised in MY NAME" claiming that he too. like the other apostles, "baptised IN THE NAME OF THE LORD! Again, NO water!

Re: <<and taught the necessity of baptism (Rom 6:3-7; Gal 3:27; Col 2:11-14; etc)>>
Refuted: And where is you water, number one; and where is your 'great commission' to any body than 'the' apostles commissioned by Jesus on earth in person? NOWHERE!

Re: <<for Paul was under the great commission as other disciples are under it>>
Refutation of everything you have claimed so far!

Last edited:

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Re: <<Phillip is an example of the great commission of Christ (go, teach, baptize) being carried out>>
Refuted: "Philip the deacon" - Cruden's as well as Luke. He did carry out his mission: he explained the Name of God the Father Son and Holy Spirit and Salvation through faith in HIM Period. <<Phillip went, taught-and-baptized[*] the eunuch>>. YOUR words! [* Hendiadys]

Re: <<The Spirit did not miraculous illuminate the understanding of the eunuch apart from the word nor did the SPirit "spirit baptize" the eunuch.>>
Refuted: Again YOUR words indisputably clear and true!

Re: <<I do not know where you get the idea that the Spirit of verse 29 was nothing more than Phillip's intuition.>>
Refuted: It is written (as I quoted before) "the spirit IN HIM"-Philip. And as clear as clear blue sky, there, is nothing written like (Acts 8:16) <<go teach and baptize>>; which is what you ADD to Acts in between 8:26 and 35, On top you ADD baptise meaning, with 'WATER'-- NOWHERE ANYWHERE in the whole anecdote.

Re: <<Matthew 28:19-20 Mark 16:15-16 clearly shows disciples being commissioned to go teach and baptize.>>
Refuted: Matthew 28:19-20 Mark 16:15-16 clearly shows disciples being made apostles by the risen Christ who commissioned them AN NOBODY ELSE to go teach and baptize.

Re: <<Paul was baptized himself (Acts 22:16)>>
Refuted: Paul was baptized "...CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD". Hendiadys. NO water!

RE: <<he baptized others (1 Corinthians 1:14,16)>>
Refuted: "...lest any should say that I baptised in MY NAME" claiming that he too. like the other apostles, "baptised IN THE NAME OF THE LORD! Again, NO water!

Re: <<and taught the necessity of baptism (Rom 6:3-7; Gal 3:27; Col 2:11-14; etc)>>
Refuted: And where is you water, number one; and where is your 'great commission' to any body than 'the' apostles commissioned by Jesus on earth in person? NOWHERE!

Re: <<for Paul was under the great commission as other disciples are under it>>
Refutation of everything you have claimed so far!

---The great commissions sends disciples to go, teach and baptize and that is EXACTLY what Phillip did in Acts 8. This is EXACTLY how men today are saved by being taught and baptized. CHristianity is a taught religion and once taught must be obeyed.

---Acts 8:29 refers to the Holy SPirit that sent Phillip to the eunuch, not Phillip's own spirit with in him.

---Christ had chosen His apostles BEFORE he gave the great commission. This commission applied to all the apostles and all disciples. If it only applied to the apostles then Christianity would have died out centuries ago for no one would be left after the last apostle died to go teach the gospel and make disciples.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Then what was your purpose for citing that verse?
My reason was that YOU posted,
Ernest T. Bass said:
<<The verse you cite does not do away with the necessity of baptism or repentance confession or belief.>>
You beat around the bush but pray the snake might not come out from under it.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The great commissions sends disciples to go, teach and baptize and that is EXACTLY what Phillip did in Acts 8.

By now I am obliged to say that you LIE.
<The great commissions> does NOT <send disciples>; it sends --correction: it SENT apostles.

To <<go, teach and baptize>> was NOT what the <disciple> and deacon to the end, "Phillip the evangelist" did; he was NOT commissioned by the risen Christ, but was told by a "messenger of the Lord", not, to go to "the world" and "all nations", but, no further than into the "desert south of Jerusalem".

And <<to go, teach and baptize>>was NOT, <<EXACTLY what Phillip did in Acts 8>>; he succumbed to the demands of the bombastic ignorant Eunuch, and after he had finished to <teach and baptize> with the WORD from Isaiah, "went DOWN WITH" the servant and water-baptised him--, in or with water, it does not matter which way, as water-baptism not the least mattered and was NO PART of the deacon's instruction.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Christ had chosen His apostles BEFORE he gave the great commission. This commission applied to all the apostles and all disciples. If it only applied to the apostles then Christianity would have died out centuries ago for no one would be left after the last apostle died to go teach the gospel and make disciples.

Re: <<Christ had chosen His apostles BEFORE he gave the great commission.>>
Refuted: Yes, He chose them from before the foundations of the world; He <commissioned> them after He had raised from the dead--, not before.

Re: <<This commission applied to all the apostles and all disciples.>>
Refuted: Simply a lie too obvious to point out in detail because the Risen Christ specifically gave order to heavenly angels to tell the eleven that He after his resurrection would go before them to Galilee and that there they would see Him.

RE: <<If it only applied to the apostles then Christianity would have died out centuries ago for no one would be left after the last apostle died to go teach the gospel and make disciples.>>
Refuted: Gibberish. "The Gospel is the POWER OF GOD unto salvation to everyone that believeth" : believeth the APOSTLES' Good News commissioned THEM to proclaim by CHRIST IN PERSON. That is and makes the whole and all difference.