Jonah being swallowed by a big fish...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As the title says... I was wondering, so is it possible to be swallowed by a big fish and still live in the belly? Is the belly empty like that like in Pinocchio? lol! please help me to understand this anatomically, thanks! I want to build my faith and for my faith to increase if I can understand this part. Thanks, I want my knowledge and understanding to catch up with my Spirit.

Last edited:

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, I am not making fun of this, I am just asking for help to understand this and wondering about the anatomy of a fish, if that is possible, trying to understand.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I looked up ''anatomy of a big fish'' and it does seem to look empty in there as if you can just be swallowed up in a big fish and still live in there, lol! but it'll be nice to have more help on this. Thanks!

Reactions: Debp

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess you can end up in the belly (stomach) of a fish, but once you're in the intestines then you can't still be alive, is that right? And how can someone stay for so many days in the belly of the fish and not go down anywhere else where they can't survive anymore? Again, I am not educated in this so answers would be nice.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As the title says... I was wondering, so is it possible to be swallowed by a big fish and still live in the belly? Is the belly empty like that like in Pinocchio? lol! please help me to understand this anatomically, thanks! I want to build my faith and for my faith to increase if I can understand this part. Thanks, I want my knowledge and understanding to catch up with my Spirit.
We don't know that it was a whale. But I don't have a clue how Jonah survived?

However, I picked up an article many years ago about a young girl who was about to drown far from shore, and was picked up by a fish and deposited closer to shore. I still have the article somewhere, I think?

I think the story is really indicated to be miraculous. It sounds no more reasonable than a man who never walked suddenly getting up when Paul saw he had faith and told him to get up.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fish have a "swim bladder" connected to the gut which contains air and helps them to control their buoyancy. It's possible that Jonah ended up in that part of the fish's anatomy.
But the Hebrew of chapter 2 suggests that Jonah did actually die (at least for a time). He speaks of being "in the realm of the dead" (verse 2) .

We can only speculate. The story has a prophetic meaning (which Jesus points out in Matthew 12), and doesn't describe anything "normal".

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Fishy business or no, who is that understands how God calls into existence things that previously didn't exist?

For Jonah the fish opened his mouth, for Daniel the lions closed theirs, for Elijah fire came from heaven, for dead Lazarus his ears heard the command of Jesus to come out of the tomb, and for Jesus, he raised himself from the dead as he said he had authority to do.

John 10:18
'No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.'

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I forgot how long Jonah was in the belly of a fish, I think it was 3 days?
I see that he died but then survived after in scripture.
I have more of an understanding now. Thanks
Thanks for the insights, it could've also been a miraculous and abnormal experience.
Anyone else?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not a biologist but I don't know why a person couldn't live a little while in the belly of a big fish.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
Jonah afterwards still wanted to die as the end of the story shows...

Jonah 4:8 And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live.
9 And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.
10 Then said the Lord, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night:
11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

So here is advice for all:

Colossians 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think he survived. He specifically said, “Out of the belly of Sheol [hell] I cried." I think he died and went to Abraham's bosom, the "good" part of hell that was partitioned off for the saved souls until the resurrection of Christ, and they could ascend to heaven. I think God caused the fish to vomit his body up, and he was resurrected like Lazarus.

Last edited:

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As was the death of Christ, who was resurrected after three days in the tomb, Jonah was a type of Christ, so it is more likely that he died and was brought back to life after that time.

Reactions: Jericho