Joyce Meyer at Lakewood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I am somewhat torn on this.

I have a friend at another church who is a big fan of Beth Moore and her teachings.
Beth Moore does the lecture circuit and sells workbooks, CDs, and DVDs of her teachings.
Some of those lecture materials run well over $100.

The last straw for my friend was when her church here in town was going to have a live feed from Beth Moore seminar roughly a thousand miles away.
When people showed up they found that in order to watch a live streaming video of that conference they would need to pay $45.

The pastor showed them the documentation requiring that cost be charged for the seminar from Beth Moore Ministries.
The church itself added ZERO costs to host the screening.
I could see this if fund raised from activities such as this went to helping those who could not afford these teachings. But that is not the case.

I have no problem with these people making money, but when they reach the point of multiple expensive homes, private jets, millions in the bank, etc.
eventually you would think they would then become more concerned with getting the word out than ensuring there is a decent profit margin with each sale.
One would think there would more of a drive to get the materials to as many people as possible.

I understand the costs to create and package workbooks, CDs, DVDs, etc. as well as the cost of shipping.
But it is infinitely less expensive to post the materials to on your web site to be printed off of downloaded.
It would then allow you to greatly reduce any cost necessary to share these materials.

THAT WOULD MEAN MORE PEOPLE WOULD BE ABLE TO HEAR GOD'S MESSAGE.....if that is indeed what it is.

That is what my church did. After every service people could order a CD of the worship and the sermon for $3.00 or a DVD for $5.00.
This was a reasonable rate but the church found it was cheaper - and more people could be reached - if they simply updated their web site to allow for download.
No charge whatsoever.

On the flip side, I am uncomfortable with many of the things that the gentleman in that video had to say.
Yes, it would be a great idea if Joyce Meyers would call on women to save the money they would have spent coming to her conference and distribute it amongs the poor and the needy.
But to make comments like the women who are going are going to be buying alcohol and getting drunk or gouging themselves on food, etc. is not what I think he should be spewing from the pulpit.

Neither is saying, "she has the devil in her" and does not care about women in need.
This man has no idea what Joyce Meyer or her ministry donates to charities or shelters. No idea whatsoever.
Or when he says she considers herself a "superstar" and the reason she calls all these women to her conferences is to feed her ego and "I need you as my slaves."
Or claiming that St. Louis itselfs gives her "a big kickback" for holding these conferences in their town.

Where does this man come off spouting these such as this from the pulpit?
What happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged" or "First plank, then splinter?"

I have never given money to Joyce Meyers or her ministry. I have never bought a book or CD of hers, nor have I seen one or borrowed one from someone.
But I do know people who have been blessed and their walk with Jesus improved by listening to her.

The guy and his rants are unfair and are not fitting of a man who is a leader of a church.

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012

I have a friend at another church who is a big fan of Beth Moore and her teachings.
Beth Moore does the lecture circuit and sells workbooks, CDs, and DVDs of her teachings.
Some of those lecture materials run well over $100.

The last straw for my friend was when her church here in town was going to have a live feed from Beth Moore seminar roughly a thousand miles away.
When people showed up they found that in order to watch a live streaming video of that conference they would need to pay $45.
I am not torn at all. Christ plainly says...

Mat 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Anyone who puts a price on the Gospel is violating this principle.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
IAmAWitness said:
My thoughts are with this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIjOsWtY8w You've gotta be careful what you say about people. If this Brother is really concerned about how Joyce runs her ministry, he should just pray for her and focus his attention on emptying shelters as the Lord leads him. And besides, when God called Joyce into the ministry, He told her to go preach East, West, North and South and she's been doing that ever since and blessing people every where she goes. So for this Brother to speak against how Joyce operates her ministry is to say that he knows better than God how she should be functioning in God's call on her life...and last I checked, we are to take our instructions from God, not man. You get yourself into trouble when you raise your tongue against another.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The moral of this story is that if you have a famous teacher or preacher that you look up to, don't post it here, or the wolves will rip you apart. :D
Foreigner said:
I agree with most of what Foreigner says in this post. I understand that to reach the masses in today's world, it takes money and a lot of time. The world is run a lot more differently today than it was when Paul was ministering. But on the other hand, I hate to see how people are taken advantage of sometimes. You can't even hardly buy a Bible for less than $40. I agree that using the internet more is a good thing. In our church, we put the sermon audio on our web site. It's a great tool.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
These types of things are happening worldwide. It is we should be careful in giving tithes / offerings to these people..! We are responsible to spending our money to what purpose..!

We cannot give offering to a terrotist body. Its our responsibility to enquire on where that money goes at the end. Are they giving statement of the money they have collected and for what they have spent? Or, are they willing to provide those information to public at any point of time?? 95 to 99% of established ministries wont do that. Because they spend the money lavishly.

Think and spend our earned money with carefullness. That leads you to be answerable in the God's Judgement.

Thanks

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John_8:32 said:
I am not torn at all. Christ plainly says...

Mat 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Anyone who puts a price on the Gospel is violating this principle.
Just because the gospel is free doesn't mean that the vehicle the gospel is delivered in is always free. Not very many people trash Billy Graham. Billy Graham has led countless people to salvation. What percentage of those people would never have been saved if it wasn't for TV? It's not cheap to get the gospel on TV. Saying that nobody should invest in ministries that are truly reaching the lost is like saying it's not worth your money for people to be saved.

You can reach your community for free, but it costs money to reach the masses. We're not of this world, but we still live in it.

stefen

Mar 3, 2013
Chennai, India
Yeah, delivering the gospel to remote areas is not free. I am not able to watch above video on my phone. But see how apostles have preached gospel and see how many thousands of people have baptized in one day with single preaching. And how did they traveled around the world..! Even disciple thomas came to India. How did he came to here and preached the gospel and so many were followed the Jesus Christ with him. I could understand the following.

God would have supplied all their needs. They didn't request (worst word is begging) any gentiles for traveling and lodging expenses..! God have taken care of all their needs.

They would have worked on their own and preached the Gospel. I am frankly speaking here. There are pastors who does preach on sundays only and sit at home and does all their personal work, get their salaries from their ministry and enjoying their life. If they have true responsibility for the food they are eating and gospel they have to preach, they won't sit at home. They will go and work with their village/town people, come closer to them and can preach the gospel by understanding their problem. This is what Paul did. It is also practical.

One of the famous current gospel preaching methods is by TV. It reaches to every home. I am happy about it and there are lots of testimonies on this TV ministry. But why should the minister ask money in the same program? Its doesn't look like business.? If you can't afford it and not getting help from God. Don't do it. Pray to God and say thanks to your supporters, it will bring more money. That's what apostles wrote as thanks giving. Yeah, people are ready to give it, if its genuine, God will work in them. God has capacity to change people mind. Best example is pharoh in moses days.

I have seen a ministry who won't ask for money and collect offerings in the middle of church service, which has around 500+ churches in one single state. Its definitely impossible for any other ministry to establish like that in 20 years. Its name is Hosanna Ministries. If you are longing for money. It won't come to you. You should understand it. They send their monthly book at free of cost. If you afford, you can pay monthly nominal subscription. Or else, It will come to you as free all your life. I am not advertising that ministry. We can see the properties of a tree by its fruit.

If anyone ask for money. Don't give it to them. Help the beggars or homeless and orphans in the street corners. You will be definitely blessed. Don't be questioned by God for irresponsibly spending your money.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
It would cost a lot less to the donors if this place was a bit scaled back I suppose...

JMHomeAerial.jpg

Wonder what this place is? This is where Joyce Meyer lives.

I don't begrudge anyone of means (I aspire to be a person of means myself), I just want them to be completely honest and say some of the money donated to the ministry or some of the proceeds from the books and tapes pays for their estate of 5 luxury homes, pool, guest house, landscaping, etc.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
BiggAndyy said:
It would cost a lot less to the donors if this place was a bit scaled back I suppose...

JMHomeAerial.jpg

Wonder what this place is? This is where Joyce Meyer lives.

I don't begrudge anyone of means (I aspire to be a person of means myself), I just want them to be completely honest and say some of the money donated to the ministry or some of the proceeds from the books and tapes pays for their estate of 5 luxury homes, pool, guest house, landscaping, etc.
The church payed for everything, including any remodeling and the grounds keeping all expenses lights water ect. Not one dime of Meyers personal income paid for this.
Its the norm for mega church leaders to channel the money this way, but the Meyer family is the soul CEO in charge of every penny. And everyone in the family has a salary.

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
Why so many people buy books to follow and serve Jesus? He explained how to follow Him in the gospels simply and clearly.

I just dont get it.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
In a mega church there is precious little teaching about Christ and Him crucified. Much teaching is on how to feel good about your sin or how to feel good about your abysmal character or how to feel good when you are feeling bad. A few Christian buzz words are thrown in but for the most part you could replace the word Jesus and God and Holy Spirit with Rotary Club, Family, and Bank Account and the sentences would not suffer grammatically.