Judo/martial Arts.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Well, as being sober for over a year or so, I've been going down the list of things that I've always wanted to do or learn but couldn't because I was drunk.

So, now at the ripe 'ol age of 33 I decided to take on some Judo. I'm signed up for the class and sat in on one of them and watched. I'll be starting in a couple weeks. They say you learn alot about life and yourself and all this stuff by practicing martial arts. Well, I guess so,,,,, Before I explain this, I want to say a little about my decision.

Firstly, I feel no need to have any kind of self defense. However, I don't think it's a bad Idea. I like Aikido and Judo because they are designed with the safety of the "enemy" in mind as well as yourse. So, they're designed to not cause very much intentional harm to the attacker. To me that's good.

I don't have a macho mentality, and don't have a desire to be competetive, (however, I hope to atleast be in one tournament at some point later, just to try my skills.) I have no desire to be a tough guy etc, etc, and I don't need help with my self esteem and I don't have much ego.

This just seems like a fun and interesting thing to do and a decent way to stay active and get some exercise.

Now, What did I learn my sitting and watching that one class?

Firstly, I looked at alot of the people in the class and they all reminded me of the kids that got picked on alot in school. You know the type,, the non jocks, maybe a little nerdy, or the skater kid, or what ever. Reflective lesson learned,,,, I'm thankful God showed me that I was no better than anyone back then and I wasn't a bully and was always the friend of the "under dog" and even was an underdog myself. But, looking back at how many might have been trained in Martial Arts, ROFLOL, boy am I glad I wasn't a bully!

Second lesson.
While I was watching this class, I kept hearing some odd drum beat comming from somewhere in the Dojo. After about 45 minutes or so, the owner and Master Sensei walked out from the back in some weird garb to say hi to his friend that was visiting. Then he retreated back to his ceremony. I guess his friend noticed the look on my face and explained to me that Sensai was a Budist. (LOL, surprise I thought to myself, the dude eats sleeps and breathes Aikido, which the original inventor of Aikido demanded all his students practice Shinto) Anyway,,, Lord willing maybe I'll get an oppertunity later on.

As I was watching all of this, I began reflecting on my life, and being thankful, and admiring the people in the class especialy some of the more physically unfit for giving it a try. I was thankful for lots of things. And as I was thinking about finally getting on the mat and starting something new, I began thinking of all the things I've been doing now with my good life. I've noticed that I haven't been spending any time studying the bible in the past 6 months or so. I still pray and still reflect on God and have my little conversations with God. However, I guess spending time to Honor him seemed never to come around.

Here was this 6th dan (20+ years worth) Aikido sensai, and a very high ranking( I believe almost the same rank as Aikido) Judo Sensei, that has practiced and practiced every day, all day long since he was 18, making time for his god that doesn't exist.

So I thought about everything. I don't know why it never dawned on me before! Aikido, Judo, or any other Martial art, they learn balance. As I noticed this man taking time for his god when he had a class to be taught, I realized what they mean by balance, and harmony.

Everything in life you need to take time for. God is alway first, but in all your ways acknowledge the Lord. But, you can't just do one thing all the time. You need to take time for everything. Make time to study God, to Worship God. Take time to exercise. Take time to rest. Take time for your spouse. Take time for your kids. Take time for your friends. Take time for your job. Take time for your hobbies.

That's balance. I know through my persuits I've neglected every single one of these for a time, or multiple times. It's funny how things kick in. Some of the oddest places watching something so seemingly unrelated can lead down a path of deep thought, and realization and deeper understandings of how God wants you to live. So, now I'm planning to make and take time for the other things in life that are sooooooooo Important.

I can't wait to start training if this is what I realized just watching!

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Very cool whiteknuckle. I really got a kick out of UFC when they were broadcasting it for nothing over the air. But I kinda cringed alot afterwards thinking about how it aroused me psychologically. I always was impressed with someone who could handle themselves, and enjoyed watching the overly confident fellow fall to a meeker dude, the underdog thing.

You are right and I receive your post as a personal invite to stop being so focused on one issue at a time. I don't multi-task very well, so generally I avoid complicating my life. With the passage of time and the drudgery of work, a lot of things get forgotten and sidelined in order to make life simpler. But that may be a cop out, as you said somewhat at the end of your post. Neglecting important matters needs to be looked at more closely as to why, or should I.

Thank you for revealing yourself to us and provoking me as well.
fivesense

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
WWE baby!!! and layth the smacketh down!!!!!!!

Whiteknuckle.................... 33 is old???????????????

Great post!!!!

Jesus Is Lord.

Endzone

May 7, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I wouldn't do it if I were you. I can be an open door to the demonic associated with the religion/teachings behind the martial arts. No, probably the greatest majority never have a problem. But I remember a guy telling a story once of how he received a demonic spirit just by listening to a Black Sabbath album. They can be much harder to get rid of than they are to acquire.

No, honestly I wouldn't do it. Everybody on this board can write me off as "seeing a demon behind every bush". But really I see 3 or 4.

You can just work out with the weights or machines, run, and/or get a license to carry if it is really about self-defense.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Thats good that your into that whiteknuckle but be very very aware that a good majority of martial arts out there usaully draw from either buddhism or taoism. In taoism they beleive in thia substance called chi now what the purpose of chi is supposidly about is to help channel while your training and to help focus. However being into taoism about four years ago myself i quickly realized that this chi wich is basically energy soon lead to aspects of taoism thats when i decided to get out completly and rebuke evrything of false philosiphy and of false teaching out of my life in the name of christ and got back on the path with christ through scripture. I guess through my point is that martial arts can be good if you have a christian instructor otherwise if it involves aspects of taoism and buddhism stay far far away.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Martial arts are totally secular, you won't find any religious teaching there. I've practicsed karate for 16 years and am a 3rd Dan (rd Degree Black belt) so I should know. i basically elarn't to hit people very hard but to be responsible and respectful of other people and i can't see that being blasphemous in any way. Also, Christians have lived in China and other parts of the Orient since the middle ages and have not problem with velieving in Chi. Practie Judo, train safe and have fun1

Also, you cannot get a demon from listenning to Black Sabbath but you could get a headache though.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
I wouldn't do it if I were you. I can be an open door to the demonic associated with the religion/teachings behind the martial arts. No, probably the greatest majority never have a problem. But I remember a guy telling a story once of how he received a demonic spirit just by listening to a Black Sabbath album. They can be much harder to get rid of than they are to acquire.

No, honestly I wouldn't do it. Everybody on this board can write me off as "seeing a demon behind every bush". But really I see 3 or 4.

You can just work out with the weights or machines, run, and/or get a license to carry if it is really about self-defense.

I might agree with Endzone on this, i say MIGHT becuase im not very educated on the philosophies behind martial arts. However, as christians, i think it is extremely important to thoroughly investigate what we get into. I believe martial arts is involved with eastern philosophies of the ying yang type (balance and channeling of energies, etc). These things are against God even though they will certainly proclaim otherwise. Again, im not educated on the issue but is uggest much prayer and investigation if you're gonna take up martial arts.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
You have too broard a perspective. If we talk about Judo specifically I will explain exactly what it is. It is the sport form of Jujitsu. In Judo you learn how to throw an opponent to the floor and either hold them down or perform a choke or jointlock to attain a submission. It is a sport and there really is very little philosophy involved.

Inn all my years of Karate i found that there is very little that is not compatable with CHristianity. Most of the people I've trained with are westerners and don't even believe in Chi of Ki as it is spelt in the Japanese form and I'm secptical about it myself. Christians in the Orient believe in chi though so even if you do there is nothing wrong there.

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
eastern philosophies of the ying yang type (balance and channeling of energies, etc).

You have too broard a perspective. If we talk about Judo specifically I will explain exactly what it is. It is the sport form of Jujitsu. In Judo you learn how to throw an opponent to the floor and either hold them down or perform a choke or jointlock to attain a submission. It is a sport and there really is very little philosophy involved.

Inn all my years of Karate i found that there is very little that is not compatable with CHristianity. Most of the people I've trained with are westerners and don't even believe in Chi of Ki as it is spelt in the Japanese form and I'm secptical about it myself. Christians in the Orient believe in chi though so even if you do there is nothing wrong there.

You're right in that judo is more of a sport (gonna come up short of proclaiming specifically that it is without a doubt all it is) ... but whiteknuckle said this guy teaching the sport ... is indeed a practitioner of buddhism and aikido.

Aikido is often translated as "the Way of unifying (with) life energy"[sup][1]

[/sup]I find it hard to believe this class would keep things entirely separate as only a sport ... it may take awhile but as skills advance, manipulation of ki is going to be involved to a greater and greater degree.

Ive heard of people who could literally "see in their mind's eye" where their opponent's next strike would come from, and seen videos (from 1920'ish) of an old man who was such a ki master that he rooted himself into the ground and 5-6 people on all sides of him could not budge him at all ... this was like a 5 ft tall, 100 pound old man now.

I spent a bit of time learning the beginnings of wing chun and at least for that form, from the get-go it was very philosophy oriented, in just explaining each step of movements and how they flow.
[sup]

[/sup]

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for the replies.

I understand some of the concerns. Admittedly I was a little concerned about this stuff a while back. Yes, some people include Martial Arts as part of their religious ceremony, and to them they are one in the same. I however am not one of them.

Looking close, some of the things they teach as noted by other posters, is kindness, patience, and gentleness, and respect for others. All of those are great traits and great to practice. But, those traits I'm learning from God Himself, not from any form of secular or budhist philosophy.

As for being concerned that a demon should enter me,,, I'm not concerned in the least. He who is IN ME is greater than he who is in the world. Seeing that the Spirit of God indwells this temple, I seriously doubt he's going to move over because a demon comes knocking.

The Senseis philosophy of this dojo is one of respecting others cultures, and as us being American, he doesn't bring his religion to the others unsolicited.

This Ki/Chi thing is interesting, and the explainations can be varried and each are long. I don't believe in any mystical thing such as Ki/Chi, however, I do believe that after a person practices long enough they can be more aware of what another is going to do or is doing just from shear familiarity of the art. To me, that's what it is.

A great example of this is riding a motorcycle. I rode almost everyday for about 4 or 5 years. My bike was my only mode of transportation. After a time I had a hightened sense of awareness and alertness of my surroundings. You start to ride on instinct and after seeing so many of the same situations you become familiar of what's about to happen before most people would even noticed. Things such as noticng the twitch of a car wheel and then the car pulling out in front of you. Most people look only at the whole car or just the driver, or not look at all. After a while you look other places, like the wheels, and "know" what they're doing first. No mysticism involved just familiarity of situations encountered over and over and over again.

Chi/Ki is just an ancient people to describe something they didn't fully understand, and truely wanted to believe in mysticism.

Yes, the "spiritual" side of the whole deal does concern me, However, that is not taught in class. I'm also not concerned for myself. The concern is focused towards the others who might practice it.

Judo being a sport more so than anything, not much talk of Ki/chi is used, however, where some arts would say Ki/Chi, in Judo it's pretty much just mentioned to "feel" where your opponent is and when they're off centered so you can perform technique without much effort.

I see this as many different good oppernunities. If one comes up, I have an oppertunity to share the Lord with others in a close and personal way that many wouldn't have had the chance to. Rest assured, I can't be manipulated into believing in a false god, or ancient philosophies that would turn me from the real God. Even if I like the philosophy, I check with what God says, and I tell myself,, Hey,, this verse in the bible says the same thing and that's why I practice such philosophy. However, if it does seem to turn towards some odd "spiritual" mumbo jumbo, I'll leave this dojo and go to the one down the street that is ran by an Olympic Judoka, and is nothing but full on brutal training.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
My sister-in-law became a massage therepist, and in order to get accreditation, she was required to study the philosophy of the school she attended. It was an extreme time for her, reconciling her faith and the conflicting elements of eastern "wisdom". The most problematic issues were when the eastern stuff sounded better than what she had been taught by the Creedal influences she based some of her beliefs upon. In one way it was good, the suffering she endured, in that she was forced to approach God with a sane understanding of who she really was deep down, and the need to go directly to the Source to finds the Anchor of her soul. In other ways it was a tragedy, in that it caused her to withdraw her credulity in Churchianity as a whole, removing for a season the peace found in being knit together with like-minded folks. She stands on her own now, ready to answer to Him alone, knowing she is the one with the Lord.

I also find it baffling to have the Lord's saints say they fear or think it possible to come under Satans' power. Paul never mentions such an action taking place in us, yet it is thought possible to occur anyway. While the Slanderer has powers to influence our thinking through our weaknesses and rebelliousness at times, it is mostly our own souls that are the enemy. His victory over our wills, gaining our obedience and trust, is what we have been sanctified and separated for. We no longer are even potential inmates for the jurisdiction of darkness, having been rescued by the Chief of all principalities and powers. We have been ransomed with a price beyond the enemy's reach and the seal that marks us is the seal of God. None but the Lamb can alter that seal.
fivesense

Reactions: gregg

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
I Peter 5:8; Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about , seeking whom he might devour. Satan is the master of deception, and has a lot of amminition to use. Ever notice that the Word of God is not allowed in our schools, but yoga and yes martial arts are allowed in a lot of the schools. The right to choose advocates use the term late term abortion , instead of partial birth abortion, because it sounds more appealing. You may note on the job people talk about their horoscope, thinking nothing about it being witchcraft. Playing with demons. Look at alot of the movies for children coming out of Disney and Hollywood. Creatures that look like demons, are made out to be friendly, children should not be afraid of them. Yet a Christian evangelist or pastor is made out to be a theif, an embezzaler, or worse. Not friendly to children or anyone else. Harry Potter is required reading in a lot of school, but students using scripture in a graduation speech is called down on the thought. Sin and distraction from faith in Jesus Christ always uses an excuse that seems innocent and justified. Notice, today society no longer call sin sin but a mistake , or biological, therefore foregiveness is not even called for. Many excercises seem innocent like much of the music today, but when one investigates we find the is not a so innocent motive. One way to place it in check is to ask the Lord to Bless whatever one starts to embark on. Many times a Christian will know in no way, could the Lord bless it. This in most cases is where the Holy Spirit must be allowed to guide us. Many times He will keep us from a stumble, Praise the Lord.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I agree Pastor.

It's all very sneaky. A little here, a little there.

However, this is purely sport and not much more than that. There are other "classes" offered at "no cost" that involve meditation, shinto, and other eastern religious type stuff.

So far,, just from observing a couple classes, I've realized good things, and my thoughts were towards God.

You're right, there's many things that a Christian (even if not at first) will realize without a doubt that the Lord will in no way bless certain things. I don't have any apprehension for this. And, even so, should the training start to evolve or involve eastern religion, there's plenty of other dojo's that train. There's one a couple miles from my house that trains specificaly for competition and is run by a guy that has competed in the Olympics in Judo, that's the one my son is going to be going to since mine doesn't take kids.

It's easy to see people being aprehensive of martial arts because many don't know much about it, and as with many other things there's stigmas and stereo types used in determining the thoughts and ideas of how they are run and what they are about. It's very understandable to me that a person wouldn't want to be involved with any of it. In fact if you feel that your belief and faith in the Lord will be shaken or damaged, or if there are just situations you feel you can't handle then by all means, don't bother with it.

If you saw this class, and the sensai's and the topics of conversation you wouldn't have any doubts that Judo is does not invovle religion. (some dojos might, and some people might, but that stems out to anything, including the horroscopes people at work talk about)

Aikido does seem to involve more of the religious, as the founder saw it as an extention of his Shinto beliefs and actually believed that Aikido would join the world in harmony and peace.

Judo itself was founded during a peace time of Japan after all the civil wars. Most of the Martial arts in Japan became peaceful and mere demonstrations and started involving spirituality, which isn't what Martial Art's were for in the first place. Judo was invented and developed to be a competetive form of Martial Arts, and care is taken to insure that no harm is done to the opponent. Basically, the "religion" was taken out of the Martial Arts.

Regardless how anyone views this, or any of the ethics that come with it, or any of the discipline, I view all good things as coming from the Lord Jesus in Heaven.

If my body is the temple, and I should take care of my body, then this is a good thing. In order to succeed, I will have to make changes to my non-existant exercise and diet program. On top of it, I smoke too. That needs to stop. All of these are changes I've been needing to make, and I'm now taking the steps to change them.

So, immediately, my thoughts are turned towards the Lord, Immediately I'm concerned that I haven't been taking care of my temple (Which is the Lords).

Through all of this, and even some of the members philosophy, or religion, I see nothing but positive oppertunity for me to improve, not only my health, but my relationship with the Lord, and who knows, that perhaps in time, I might be able to share the Lord with someone at the dojo.

Another good question is,, why am I drawn to this particular dojo in the first place? Why do I feel comfortable there? Why am I already reflective of my relationship with the Lord? Why am I reminded of the abuse and neglect that I've put on my own body (which isn't my body but the Lords)?

Doesn't the Lord lead people? Doesn't the Lord protect people? Doesn't the Lord open doors?

We can talk all day about this religion and that religion, and this place is full of bad things, and that place is full of bad things, and demons here and demons there.

As followers of Jesus Christ we're not ignorant to the fact that demons are out there, and they are working hard. But we're also not ignorant to the fact that the Lord Jesus is our Sheppard, and our protector.

Peter, Paul, and all the other apostles went into places that were controled by demons and evil, and the gosple was spread.

Personally, I respect and understand everyones views on this subject. I'm not afraid, and I know for a fact that in Judo, at this Dojo, religion is not part of the training. As I said, I see nothing but good oppertunity here and I'm still very excited about it.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
I know this is an old thread.

I attended The Winnipeg School of Karate.

I liked the exercises , I have always been physically fit , but pre-class exercises were a new experience. I felt very limber afterward. I liked it.

The first thing I noticed was the confidence I had on the way home. I held my head high and was completely aware of my surroundings. Martial arts conditions you to always be aware of your surroundings. Something like what WhiteKnuckle mentioned when he rides his motorcycle.

At the time , I had no religion in my life. I respected the slight and quick bow to the instructor as a way of respect in the Asian style. I equated it to our handshakes in North America. If I did not do it quite right , the class leaders were very accommodating for rookies like me.

Then I advanced quite a bit. I got to the more serious levels of the martial arts. Then the instructions began to change. Before competition , we were told to become prostrate and bow to "Karma" and pray for power and influence and spiritual help. It was clearly taught that was the secret to advancing to higher levels.

It was told that the generic word Karma was used , , but each one of us was to find our own individual higher spiritual connection and attach any name we wanted to it.. Whoever got the highest spiritual connections would attain the highest levels of competition. The two went hand in hand. If you did not have a high spiritual connection , you could not progress to high levels in Karate fighting. That is what I was told.

In order to comply with the protocols , I would get on my knees and pray.

Because I had no religion in my life , I always said the Lord's prayer as best as I could remember from my school days. I knew enough not to pray to anyone else. That is all I knew. I had no religion in my life.

I began to train for my helicopter pilots license and set aside all my other hobbies and interests including Karate. . My older brother continued with his training. He was the one who introduced me to Karate. He is a stubborn and focused person , when he sets his mind to something , he never quits. He always gave me heck for quitting projects . I was very surprised when he abruptly quit Karate and severed relationships with a close buddy of his. His buddy was the one who first introduced him to Martial arts.

I don't think he repaired the severed relationship with his buddy. They had been very good friends . My brother is typically a good and loyal friend. You can do just about anything to him , and he will never abandon the friendship. He also never wanted to talk about it afterward.

Many years later I came right out and asked him if he quit because of the bowing down to spiritual entities .. He mumbled a quick yes and walked away. I often wonder if he said the Lords prayer like I did from memory in our small country school.

They start you out with a pure white belt , progress to yellow , blue and brown and black. Once you are in the black , there are higher levels. They can be indicated by special stitching on the belt. The more spiritual entities you have the more stitches you have. These must be earned during judged and officiated competitions. Whoever has the most powerful demon helpers win. . Blackness is the appropriate color for the belt.

Be careful who you bow down too. Be careful how you pray.

I am far removed from the martial arts scene now. I have not been in a scrap for a long time. I know a lot of people who are high in the martial arts. They know I am an outsider. It also bothers them that I am not easily intimidated. One of the tactics of a high level blackbelt is to never make the first move. They first stare at you and focus. I look in their eyes and see intimidating darkness. I let them look in my eyes and they become confused. They cannot recognize my powers. I have no special powers. But I do know that the bit of Holy Spirit in me is stronger than all the darkness in them.

You can read a man's soul by looking him directly in the eye.

A good detective will tell you the same thing.

Some of the very highest level martial arts competitors have learned to train their gaze at the center of your chest instead. Dont move a muscle. Be calm. Look straight at their eyes , eventually they glance up. At that moment the fight is over.

I love walking away from fights. It saves a lot of wear and tear. I also like the christian walk. Head quite high , yet a bit humble. Lots of power , yet wanting to be helpful. A fighter who never fights.

The world says it is not what you know that is important. It is who you know that counts. I agree with that.. The old oriental martial arts tradition teaches that you must have spiritual power. I agree with that also.

Go straight to the top when you seek powerful connections and spiritual power. It saves a lot of wear and tear.

Best regards in all that you seek.

Our Father who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
forgive us this day our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us
for thine is the kingdom
the power and glory
for ever and ever
amen.

I probably got part of it wrong. It has been 47 years since I was in a public school that said The Lords Prayer every day.

But I still remember most of it. Even remembered it in a Karate class long ago.

I will be eternally grateful for those who long ago chose to have the Lords prayer recited in little Canadian country schools. It beats the heck out of using machine guns in class when a guy needs help. Saves a lot of wear and tear.

Arnie

Martin.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Inn all my years of Karate i found that there is very little that is not compatable with CHristianity.
Does Karate teach you to turn the other cheek? Or not to resist evil people?

Matthew 5:39 (NKJV)
[sup]39 [/sup]But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

deprofundis

Dec 3, 2010
Depends on who's teaching it and for what purpose. Naturally, I doubt self-defense classes teach that, and I don't think most classes go too heavily into philosophy either way (leaving the use of the knowledge up to the student), but some sensei certainly advocate pacifism, teaching that martial arts are studied for mental discipline, not for harming others or even defending oneself.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I decided not to go to the Dojo with the Budhist teacher.

There's a place in town being taught by a former Olympic competitor who is in the Judo Hall of Fame. My son now goes there too. They also have JiuJitsu for adults on the kids nights, so I do that as well.

There's absolutely no mention of religion, atleast nothing required or related to Judo anyway. I don't know what anyones beliefs are here. At this Dojo, we are taught Judo as just Judo, no Chi, Ki, or some other mystical inner strength or energy from the universe. No Karma, nothing but Judo techniques.

What is taught is, Integrity, Honesty, Patience, Respect, Mutual Benifit, and Tolerance. Judo translated means, "The Gentle Way", we're taught to take care of our partners. Although Judo is brutal and painful and uncomfortable, there are things we do to take care of eachother.

In our Dojo there is no mention of self defense, and it's not marketed that way. There's no mention of being attacked in the street and situations that you could use Judo. Alot of Judoka do think about self defense. The fact of the matter is, Most believe that you should walk away from a fight if possible. Use everymeans of escape that you can before you use Judo.

As far as worship,,,, Well, I explained the bowing thing in the Questions for Catholics thread in response to likening bowing to statues and what not as a form of worship. But, it's all a form of respect, and has nothing to do with religion at all.

My son and I never had a good relationship. Even since he was a baby, we just didn't get along for squat. Most of that was because of my drinking, but even after I was sober for a while, we just couldn't seem to build a relationship.

Now we take Judo, we go to the same Dojo, and have the same Sensei/ Sensei's (which only means teacher in Japanese, nothing more nothing less). Since we've been training, we have something we can relate to eachother with. We've built a fine relationship and have become very good friends. It's a wonderfull thing to be able to hang out with my son, and it's a wonderfull thing to fight with him using things we learn, and have fun.

My son's ability to learn, and focus has become stronger, his temper has become softer, his patience has become greater, his physical fitness has become better. His confidence has become greater. Taking Judo will allow my son to walk down the street with little fear of bullies, and be able to handle the situation with confidence that he wouldn't have had otherwise. My son get's a feeling of accomplishment, while at the same time facing his fears, his failures, and his defeats.

Myself, I have developed many of the same things. I dont' have a desire for self defense, if I did, I'd just get a gun. I've even lost 20#'s. However, I did go through a bout of depression, and gave up for a little while. I was injured and out of Judo and out of work. I worked hard to get where I am in Judo and it depressed me to think that it was all over. The whole activity of training, and working has brought nothing but positive things to my life.

All in all, I look at Judo as a gift from God, and God has used this to bring very positive things in my life, and it's been very uplifting.