Just something I've noticed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Just something I've noticed. We may all have this issue sometimes, or stuggle with it like I have.

When someone gives you an answer, don't get upset, no matter how outrageous it may seem to you.

James 1:20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

The other person may genuinely believe what they're saying. Try to be patient, and calm.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

I've noticed that, when you remain calm, and try to be gentle, your words actually come out a lot better, and so do your answers.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, as an Administrator, this is something I want to say Amen! to!

At the onset, we must realize that the vast majority of people who frequent Christian forums already have formed an opinion on the subject. This means that when you're debating, you are a foreign army marching into enemy territory in one sense. That's just a fancy way of saying, the hard part is on you, and you're very, very rarely going to get a person to say 'Oh, I was wrong all those years, thanks for your single post or thread that clears everything up, crystal clear."

I'll say it again and again, but you win people over by gentling showing them. The Bible mentions letting all of our words be full of grace and only then be seasoned with salt. (Colossians 4:6)

I don't know how many people cook here, but if you have a recipe full of something, then that is your meat or base item. If you put too much salt on something, it tastes horrible, but yet not enough and it tastes bland. Salt must be tempered. And that's what the Bible is saying, the greatest element of your conversation is grace, but if you need to make a point or instruct, then temper it. Apply an adequate amount of salt, but don't do too much!

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
HammerStone said:
Well, as an Administrator, this is something I want to say Amen! to!

At the onset, we must realize that the vast majority of people who frequent Christian forums already have formed an opinion on the subject. This means that when you're debating, you are a foreign army marching into enemy territory in one sense. That's just a fancy way of saying, the hard part is on you, and you're very, very rarely going to get a person to say 'Oh, I was wrong all those years, thanks for your single post or thread that clears everything up, crystal clear."

I'll say it again and again, but you win people over by gentling showing them. The Bible mentions letting all of our words be full of grace and only then be seasoned with salt. (Colossians 4:6)

I don't know how many people cook here, but if you have a recipe full of something, then that is your meat or base item. If you put too much salt on something, it tastes horrible, but yet not enough and it tastes bland. Salt must be tempered. And that's what the Bible is saying, the greatest element of your conversation is grace, but if you need to make a point or instruct, then temper it. Apply an adequate amount of salt, but don't do too much!
Amen.

I've never seen Colossians 4:6 in that light before.

Proverbs 14:17 He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated.

Proverbs 14:29 He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And my other gripe is that when you do get one of those 1/5 people who are truly searching or new to something (usually the faith), it's probably not the time to present them with your 49 point exposition on Revelation 9 when they are asking about finding a church.

I am guilty of this myself at times, but restrain a response to address the topic at hand...and then expand as necessary. I've seen so many replies where someone replies with an answer, and then someone else replies to start a debate with the first poster over trivial issues or other times where someone asks a simple question and the reply is a 500 page essay largely tangental to the topic.

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.

Don't try to overwhelm seekers or opponents with information - cut to the chase.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
HammerStone said:
And my other gripe is that when you do get one of those 1/5 people who are truly searching or new to something (usually the faith), it's probably not the time to present them with your 49 point exposition on Revelation 9 when they are asking about finding a church.

laff.gif

THAT is positively priceless! A smack down through righteous humor.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree about a long desertion that could be summed up in one paragraph.
I pass up most of them.
I try to keep in mind the non-member readers when I post a comment. try it, it will change your words.
I believe that posts are read more by non-members. we are not just talking to each other.
pomp.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely pompadour! The vast majority of readers are not members! This site averages 15,000+ unique visitors every month, and a we served around half a million pages, so you can see that we have a number of lurkers who don't even have accounts, but they read the boards pretty heavily. I couldn't tell you how many are nonbelievers, but I could tell you by the law of averages, many of them are. When they read your post, that might be the only impression of Christianity that they ever see.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW, I knew it was large but I did't know the numbers were that large. A good opportunity to fish for souls.
Pomp.