Learn some new vocabulary words ( fun)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey ppl , lets see if this can be fun and increase our vocabulary.
I love words, starting with God's.
Words are the most common form of communication.

1. A. COMPLIMENT. expression of praise, admiration or congradulation.
B.COMPLEMENT.something that makes better or completes
2. A .WOOD. hard, porous, fibrous structure found to a limited extent in herbaceous plants....trees
B. WOULD. wished, desired, used to refer to future time from POV of the past.
3. A.STORE. a place where merchandise is offered for sale.
B. STORE something that is accumulated, to set aside, to keep.
4.A. INTIMATE.warm friendship developed through long association, very personal & private.
B. INTIMATE to make known publically or formally.
5. A. SUIT an ensemble of 2 or more matching outer garments.
B.SUIT An action or process in court for the recovery of a right or claim.
C. SUIT a group of things forming a unit. armor, sails & counters in games.

Reactions: Taken and marks

whitemorning

Nov 18, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great game, I didn't even know the meaning of some of the words. Sometimes you think that you know everything in the world, but it is not so. It is necessary to constantly develop, if something does not work out, then you can use support https://proessayservice.com/book-report-writing-service Such tasks do not allow the brain to stand still and encourage constant mental activity

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Physics,

The study of mathematical mechanical relationships of nature.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jealousy v Envy

This was a pet peeve of a former co-worker. Both are subsets of covetting but in different ways.

Envy is wanting what someone else has, e.g., my neighbor got a new boat.

Jealousy is afraid of losing what you have to someone else, e.g., my wife's attention.

Often people say that they are jealous when someone just got something, but they mean that they are envious.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jealousy v Envy

This was a pet peeve of a former co-worker. Both are subsets of covetting but in different ways.

Envy is wanting what someone else has, e.g., my neighbor got a new boat.

Jealousy is afraid of losing what you have to someone else, e.g., my wife's attention.

Often people say that they are jealous when someone just got something, but they mean that they are envious.
Thank you!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regardless, not "irregardless"!

:eek:

We define irregardless, even though this act hurts the feelings of many. Why would a dictionary do such a thing? Do we enjoy causing pain? Have we abdicated our role as arbiter of all that is good and pure in the English language? These are all excellent questions (well, these are all questions), and you might ask them of some of these other fine dictionaries, all of whom also appear to enjoy causing pain through the defining of tawdry words.

Much love!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regardless, not "irregardless"!

:eek:

We define irregardless, even though this act hurts the feelings of many. Why would a dictionary do such a thing? Do we enjoy causing pain? Have we abdicated our role as arbiter of all that is good and pure in the English language? These are all excellent questions (well, these are all questions), and you might ask them of some of these other fine dictionaries, all of whom also appear to enjoy causing pain through the defining of tawdry words.

Much love!
Yep, this one makes me cringe when used.
My sister does it all the time even though we have had the " debate".

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep, this one makes me cringe when used.
My sister does it all the time even though we have had the " debate".
Regardless mean without regard. Ir- reverses the meaning. So Irregardless means to not disregard, or 'to give regard to'. Ergo, Irregardless would actually mean the opposite of how it is used. Were it a real word!

Much love!

• Haha

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regardless mean without regard. Ir- reverses the meaning. So Irregardless means to not disregard, or 'to give regard to'. Ergo, Irregardless would actually mean the opposite of how it is used. Were it a real word!

Much love!
Thanks.
I do love the break down of English, and it's correct usage in sentences of communications .

• Love
Reactions: marks