"let"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
Question-Psalm 5:11- But "let" all them who take refuge in you be glad, "let" them sing for joy;Why does the pslamist here use the word "let", when, if you were to take refuge in Him, you'd think you'd be glad anyway? You think singing for Joy (aka praising Him[I'm guessing])would be the point. I mean, if you were in front of a clown, you wouldn't say "let me laugh", would you?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I dont know what translation you are using but here is the verse from the KJVit reads better and makes it more obvious this is a prayer for all. Its more like if you were praying for others you might say let all those that trust in you ext.Psa 5:11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
(beforHim;13720)
I mean, if you were in front of a clown, you wouldn't say "let me laugh", would you?
Are you thinking that "let" means "allow"? Like, "Allow me to laugh, please." I think "let" often means an exhortation. Like, "Let's have some fun!" It can mean "allow", of course, but I don't see that in the verse you quote.

Tama

Jun 7, 2007
(B'midbar;13741)
Are you thinking that "let" means "allow"? Like, "Allow me to laugh, please." I think "let" often means an exhortation. Like, "Let's have some fun!" It can mean "allow", of course, but I don't see that in the verse you quote.
Webster Dictionary - LET - to cause to : MAKE When God was creating earth, water, light etc, His words were 'let'. It was a command more then a request 'allow' meaning. All thru out the Bible word 'let' in most cases met an action, a command, an instruction... Matthew 27:42 (KJV) He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. (word let used as challenge - 'try to' come off the cross )Mark 4:9 (KJV) And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear. (word let used as a command - have to hear)John 7:37 (KJV) In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.(word let used as plea - please come)Romans 12:9 (KJV) Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (word let used as 'no exception' - has to be this way)1 Corinthians 1:31 (KJV) That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord(word let used as a result of an action - if.... then....)