Living Water - The woman at the well (Jn 4:7-15)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to share something interesting that I cam across some time ago and then forgot.

In the story about the woman at the well and the "living water" there are two things that are connected, but not obviously.

Firstly "living water" refers to the Holy Spirit.
Jn 7:37-39
On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and proclaimed, “If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, ase]"> the scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, which those who believed in him were to receive; for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Secondly, in the story a point is made about drawing water from the well (v 7, 11, 15).

The connection?
In the Jewish Encyclopaedia it says (in a section on baptism):
The only conception of Baptism at variance with Jewish ideas is displayed in the declaration of John, that the one who would come after him would not baptize with water, but with the Holy Ghost (Mark i. 8; John i. 27). Yet a faint resemblance to the notion is displayed in the belief expressed in the Talmud that the Holy Spirit could be drawn upon as water is drawn from a well (based upon Isa. xii. 3; Yer. Suk. v. 1, 55a of Joshua b. Levi).

BAPTISM - JewishEncyclopedia.com

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just wanted to share something interesting that I cam across some time ago and then forgot.

In the story about the woman at the well and the "living water" there are two things that are connected, but not obviously.

On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and proclaimed, “If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, ase]"> the scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, which those who believed in him were to receive; for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Secondly, in the story a point is made about drawing water from the well (v 7, 11, 15).

The connection?
The only conception of Baptism at variance with Jewish ideas is displayed in the declaration of John, that the one who would come after him would not baptize with water, but with the Holy Ghost (Mark i. 8; John i. 27). Yet a faint resemblance to the notion is displayed in the belief expressed in the Talmud that the Holy Spirit could be drawn upon as water is drawn from a well (based upon Isa. xii. 3; Yer. Suk. v. 1, 55a of Joshua b. Levi).

Hi Mungo,

This is not to give any apathy towards water baptism. Personally, I want to obey every command of God, and is the reason I wanted to get baptism right. So I've been baptized for different reasons 4 times. But the last one is the true one that I believe God honors. And if you believe it means the Holy Spirit, that is still good, as many in the Church don't recognize Him or His work in us. Or that the gift of Jesus to us is the Holy Spirit to empower us to take on the divine nature.

I know you said this in the other thread on water baptism to @Enoch111

Yes, born of WATER not born of the word of God.
Just because you claim it is a metaphor does'nt make it one. That's just your opinion for which you provide no supporting evidence..

Enoch may have responded, but I just want to tell you my experience. I'm 72 and have studied the scriptures all my life, and Jesus' words to Nicodemus always puzzled me. Was He talking about the water in the womb, or the water of baptism. Never once did I correspond it to the Word of God until Enoch's post. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a follower of Enoch, nor he of me as he gets upset by most of my posts LOL, but I do like to read some of his, and this one gave me goose bumps. It was definitely the Holy Spirit of Truth in charge. I immediately thought of all the other scriptures that this proves. It is not just "opinion." Let me show you.

John 1:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, (the living Word) and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

1 John 5:
7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

So you see, it has become very clear that the living water is the living Word.

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mungo,

This is not to give any apathy towards water baptism. Personally, I want to obey every command of God, and is the reason I wanted to get baptism right. So I've been baptized for different reasons 4 times. But the last one is the true one that I believe God honors.

I know you said this in the other thread on water baptism to @Enoch111

Enoch may have responded, but I just want to tell you my experience. I'm 72 and have studied the scriptures all my life, and Jesus' words to Nicodemus always puzzled me. Was He talking about the water in the womb, or the water of baptism. Never once did I correspond it to the Word of God until Enoch's post. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a follower of Enoch, nor he of me as he gets upset by most of my posts LOL, but I do like to read some of his, and this one gave me goose bumps. It was definitely the Holy Spirit of Truth in charge. I immediately thought of all the other scriptures that this proves. It is not just "opinion." Let me show you.

John 1:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, (the living Word) and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

1 John 5:
7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

So you see, it has become very clear that the living water is the living Word.

" Was He talking about the water in the womb, or the water of baptism. "

This is exactly what I believe it is talking about...born of the flesh...in the womb born of water once, then born of the Spirit.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
" Was He talking about the water in the womb, or the water of baptism. "

This is exactly what I believe it is talking about...born of the flesh...in the womb born of water once, then born of the Spirit.

I always questioned it, but not any more. If you read my post I believe Jesus was talking about believing the Word of God and being born again of the Spirit. I no longer believe Jesus meant the womb or baptism, but everything to do with Himself. Or who knows - all of the above. LOL

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I always questioned it, but not any more. If you read my post I believe Jesus was talking about believing the Word of God and being born again of the Spirit. I no longer believe Jesus meant the womb or baptism, but everything to do with Himself. Or who knows - all of the above. LOL

thumbup1[1].gif

Reactions: Nancy

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I didn't intend to start another baptism argument and the OP is not about John 3:5.

I just thought it was interesting.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The connection?

I think your idea is too much of a reach.

The water I think represents the literal waters of God's River that was in His Garden of Eden and flowed out to feed four other rivers on the earth, per Genesis 2. The Ezekiel 47 and Revelation 22 chapters show it's to be literally established on earth again in Christ's future millennial reign.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think your idea is too much of a reach.

The water I think represents the literal waters of God's River that was in His Garden of Eden and flowed out to feed four other rivers on the earth, per Genesis 2. The Ezekiel 47 and Revelation 22 chapters show it's to be literally established on earth again in Christ's future millennial reign.

Fine.
I'm not pushing it. I just thought I'd share the thought.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fine.
I'm not pushing it. I just thought I'd share the thought.

Nothing wrong with it, just that many don't consider the waters as a symbol to be about real living waters like God's River.

The main Message I get from reading about the Samaritan woman at the well isn't about water, but about this sudden change of subject here...

John 4:15-20
15 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw."

16 Jesus saith unto her, "Go, call thy husband, and come hither."
17 The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said unto her, "Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."
19 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

KJV

The subject changed from the 'water' to her husbands, and then to the idea of true worship vs. false worship. This is also why our Lord Jesus said this to her...

John 4:22
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
KJV

Her fathers? The Samaritans. Who were they? The Samaritans were pagans the king of Assyria took from 'five' provinces in Babylon and put them in the northern promised land from where the ten tribes of Israel had been removed. Thus her five husbands could serve as a symbol for five pagan gods those Babylonians brought with them, each province having a separate pagan god in false worship (2 Kings 17).

Reactions: FHII

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with it, just that many don't consider the waters as a symbol to be about real living waters like God's River.

The main Message I get from reading about the Samaritan woman at the well isn't about water, but about this sudden change of subject here...

John 4:15-20
15 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw."

16 Jesus saith unto her, "Go, call thy husband, and come hither."
17 The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Jesus said unto her, "Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."
19 The woman saith unto Him, "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and Ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

KJV

The subject changed from the 'water' to her husbands, and then to the idea of true worship vs. false worship. This is also why our Lord Jesus said this to her...

John 4:22
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
KJV

Her fathers? The Samaritans. Who were they? The Samaritans were pagans the king of Assyria took from 'five' provinces in Babylon and put them in the northern promised land from where the ten tribes of Israel had been removed. Thus her five husbands could serve as a symbol for five pagan gods those Babylonians brought with them, each province having a separate pagan god in false worship (2 Kings 17).
Yes, I have noticed the change in topic too... Never understood why he changed the topic. That is an interesting thought... I'll have to think on it and study about it.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mungo,

I have read your post several times, and I am not sure what exactly you are getting at.