Lonely.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am retired and do some volunteer work.

I had a long discussion yesterday with a person I have a lot of respect for. He emphasized that the most important thing in life is our service to others. I wonder if that is my problem - not enough service to others.
Ok, that’s an interesting opinion from another person.

Reactions: Debp and Bob Estey

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Bob.

I understand what you say ,as God is always with us in our spirit.

I guess I should’ve said....in my opening post, that I get lonely as in personal interaction, the social side so to speak....maybe I need to get out more, ....maybe get involved with a hobby, where we all meet, a bit like a knitting club....I did join one some years ago....maybe I need to go back to it.as I’m in a much better place in my head.
As believers, there will be times when we have to walk alone. But I don't believe we are meant to walk alone 24/7. That's why God created woman, because it wasn't good that man be alone.
Also...

Ecclesiastes 4:7-12
[7]Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun.

[8]There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail.
[9]Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.
[10]For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.
[11]Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?

[12]And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I think that’s my problem as well....I may start my knitting up again.

I need an interest outside of housework, gardening and cooking.
I used to be a good knitter, able to do complicated patterns but I don't do it anymore. I started to embroider again at the start of lockdown and did a few projects - my dad taught me to do embroidery. I also have done lots of complicated crochet projects - dresses for my girls and and Aran look jumpers for Raymond. My eyes aren't good enough these days for finer projects but I can still crochet - I taught myself out of very old encyclopaedia using my an old crochet hook that came from my grandma.

I can also make things out of felt which I taught myself to do when I was in the WI. I loved that, just going along to the first ever meeting of the Eccles Cakes WI thinking that I could just sit there. But within a very short time I was making name badges for everybody and then got volunteered to make the little Eccles Cakes WI banner for head office, which was my first felt creation. I got elected to the committee and eventually to Vice President. I loved it. We had so much fun and laughed till we cried but I had to leave as the lady who gave me a lift couldn't go anymore. So if there's a WI group near you get joining and make some new friends and have a laugh. It isn't all jam and Jerusalem. one of the daftest things our group did was to make hanging baskets out of old bras. Not a dry eye in the house we laughed so much. And some of the speakers that we invited were extremely interesting.

• Love
Reactions: Wynona and Debp

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am retired and do some volunteer work.

I had a long discussion yesterday with a person I have a lot of respect for. He emphasized that the most important thing in life is our service to others. I wonder if that is my problem - not enough service to others.
Life has more purpose and meaning if we don't live it just for ourselves, but to serve others by doing whatever God puts into our hands to do, and do it as unto Him.❤️

Galatians 5:13
[13]For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Mark 9:41

[41]For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Matthew 10:39-42
[39]He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.
[40]He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
[41]He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

[42]And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My husband I are retired and until lockdown in 2020 we would go out almost everyday the weather was good - maybe three or four times in a week. Catching buses or trains to go a bit further afield when we wanted a change from our local town. He was using a mobility scooter back then but it didn't stop us. Now neither of us goes out as he is too frail. So we don't have much of a social life. If I manage to get to church meetings with my son occasionally I enjoy going and chatting to people afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debp and TLHKAJ

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just an idea for some that might be looking for an activity to help others.

If you are able, if there is a senior citizen that cannot get to the grocery store easily, you might drive them over to the store. Or perhaps just pick up a few items they need sometimes.

Now I am having my groceries delivered since taking care of mom is a full-time job.

But before a nice teen guy in my building used to sometimes drive me to the store. He would carry all of the bags to my apartment. And he never took any money even though I tried to give him at least gas money. Just a really nice guy!

• Love
Reactions: Wynona