Love Like Mom

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 5-7-22 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Iyar 5, 5782 49th. Spring Day

Shabbat Shalom/Happy Sabbath

Day 20 ― Yesod of Tiferet: Bonding in Compassion

For compassion to be fully realized, it needs bonding. It requires creating a channel between giver and receiver; a mutuality that extends beyond the moment of need.

A bond that continues to live on. That is the most gratifying result of true compassion. Do you bond with the one you have compassion for, or do you remain apart? Does your interaction achieve anything beyond a single act of sympathy?

Exercise for the day: Ensure that something eternal is built as a result of your compassion.

Love Like Mom

odb20220507.jpg

Read: 1 Thessalonians 2:1–9 | Bible in a Year: 2 Kings 1–3; Luke 24:1–35
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Just as a nursing mother cares for her children, so we cared for you. 1 Thessalonians 2:7–8

Juanita told her nephew about growing up during the Great Depression. Her poor family only had apples to eat, plus whatever wild game her dad might provide. Whenever he bagged a squirrel for dinner, her mom would say, “Give me that squirrel head.

That’s all I want to eat. It’s the best piece of meat.” Years later Juanita realized there wasn’t any meat on a squirrel’s head. Her mom didn’t eat it. She only pretended it was a delicacy “so us kids could get more to eat and we wouldn’t worry about her.”

As we celebrate Mother’s Day tomorrow, may we also recount stories of our mothers’ devotion. We thank God for them and strive to love more like them.

Paul served the Thessalonian church “as a nursing mother cares for her children” (1 Thessalonians 2:7). He loved fiercely, fighting through “strong opposition” to tell them about Jesus and to share his own life with them (vv. 2, 8). He “worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while [he] preached the gospel of God to [them]” (v. 9). Just like Mom.

Few can resist a mother’s love, and Paul modestly said his efforts were “not without results” (v. 1). We can’t control how others respond, but we can choose to show up, day after day, to serve them in a sacrificial way. Mom would be proud, and so will our heavenly Father.

Who has loved you sacrificially? Who are you loving as your heavenly Father loves you?

Father, no one could love me more than You.

INSIGHT
First Thessalonians was most likely the earliest of Paul’s letters, written about ad 50 to the church formed in Thessalonica during Paul’s second missionary journey (Acts 17). In response to a mob protesting Paul and Silas’ claim that Jesus—not Caesar—is the true king (v. 7), Paul and Silas were forced to leave the city to protect the church from being persecuted.

Leaving the young faith community was so painful that Paul describes his separation as being “orphaned . . . for a short time” (1 Thessalonians 2:17).

Later, Timothy was sent to minister to the community of new believers there (3:1–5). After hearing Timothy’s good report of their faith growing and thriving (v. 6), Paul reconnected with and encouraged the Thessalonian believers through this letter.

Love For God 1 Thessalonians Two:1-9

By Mike Wittmer|May 7th, 2022

30th. Torah Portion after Tabernacles 2021, Kedoshim Lev. 19:1- 20:27,
Amos Nine:7-15, Matthew Twelve:28-34

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother was a hard worker all of her life. I remember her scrubbing the family's clothes on a hand-held wash board over a large tub of soapy water. She wore rubber gloves because the soap was a lye soap she made herself and was worse than hard on the hands. From the scrub board and soapy water she would wring out each piece by hand and soak it in the clear rinse water of the next tub. Of course the water in both tubs would have to changed often. After the last hand rinse, she would carry baskets of wet clothes to the outdoor clothes line and carefully hang them all up with clothespins to dry in the air. During inclement weather, somehow she managed to do this all in the kitchen and short clotheslines strung out in all directions in the house. We never ran out of clean clothes. We were truly blessed but did not realize how much mom's work had blessed until much later in our lives.

While I was still at home and in school, my stepfather was able to purchase her one of the new wringer washing machines so she no longer had to wring the water out of each piece of clothing by hand. It was many years after I was out of her home before she was able to have the modern style of clothes washers and dryers in her home.

Thank God for my mother. She's been gone from us since 2006, but I cannot ever forget her... This is only one of many good stories I could tell about her...

Praise God indeed for good and loving mothers!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother was a hard worker all of her life. I remember her scrubbing the family's clothes on a hand-held wash board over a large tub of soapy water. She wore rubber gloves because the soap was a lye soap she made herself and was worse than hard on the hands. From the scrub board and soapy water she would wring out each piece by hand and soak it in the clear rinse water of the next tub. Of course the water in both tubs would have to changed often. After the last hand rinse, she would carry baskets of wet clothes to the outdoor clothes line and carefully hang them all up with clothespins to dry in the air. During inclement weather, somehow she managed to do this all in the kitchen and short clotheslines strung out in all directions in the house. We never ran out of clean clothes. We were truly blessed but did not realize how much mom's work had blessed until much later in our lives.

While I was still at home and in school, my stepfather was able to purchase her one of the new wringer washing machines so she no longer had to wring the water out of each piece of clothing by hand. It was many years after I was out of her home before she was able to have the modern style of clothes washers and dryers in her home.

Thank God for my mother. She's been gone from us since 2006, but I cannot ever forget her... This is only one of many good stories I could tell about her...

Praise God indeed for good and loving mothers!

Great memory bro! My mom will never be forgotten by many. She had every fruit of the Spirit, all the time!!! Oh how I miss her. She has been gone since 1990, I have out lived her more than 5 years now, and my dad 4! Seven kids, close in age, a cranky dad (sorry dad, but you were...but for reason, I did not understand back then)
She was the peacekeeper. the soft spoken gentle in all her ways lovely God fearing PERFECT mom

Happy Mothers Day to all moms!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reflect on my wife as the mother of our two adult boys, especially today. She gave them all her best years and for me as well and then she became sad and hurt for many years.. And now I can really celebrate and thank my Father, as we are a family again, today, because both boys independently called Mom up on the phone to wish her a great mother's day. It has been nearly 20 years or so since this last happened.

Miracles do happen....thank you Father for the blessings you give us and especially when we are so long and tired with patience and hope we are ready to give up, and then you surprise us with joy. Don't tell me our Father does not work in mysterious ways that we cannot understand.

I want to give a shout out to @Cristo Rei as an instrument of the Father's work, for his words he shared with me from his heart about his family that stirred my heart for him and his family, and then prompted me to reach out after all these years to our two boys again. We thought they truly had abandoned us. I was wrong.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reflect on my wife as the mother of our two adult boys, especially today. She gave them all her best years and for me as well and then she became sad and hurt for many years.. And now I can really celebrate and thank my Father, as we are a family again, today, because both boys independently called Mom up on the phone to wish her a great mother's day. It has been nearly 20 years or so since this last happened.

Miracles do happen....thank you Father for the blessings you give us and especially when we are so long and tired with patience and hope we are ready to give up, and then you surprise us with joy. Don't tell me our Father does not work in mysterious ways that we cannot understand.

I want to give a shout out to @Cristo Rei as an instrument of the Father's work, for his words he shared with me from his heart about his family that stirred my heart for him and his family, and then prompted me to reach out after all these years to our two boys again. We thought they truly had abandoned us. I was wrong.

That's wonderful Apak!
I am so happy for you and your family...God is a "fixer", a "restorer" and everything that is good :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I miss my mom. Turned out she was my best friend and advocate. Realized this after she went to be with Jesus. World feels empty without her. Looking forward to her presence in my life again when I shed this earthly tent. Although we will be more like children of the King - at least I get to be near her again....miss u mom. 459830qyqjkq81to.gif

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OHHH MY GOOOSH...
IT WAS MOTHERS DAY YESTERDAY...
GEEZ...

That's fine... It won't change anything. She'll understand. I don't watch TV, I'm busy, I have things on my mind. I love and honour my parents and they love me. I spoke to her Friday and I'll speak to her again today.

That brought tears to my eyes Major. Reminds me of the prodigal son story despite your boys not really being all that bad. Life can take up so much of our time and effort that we don't even have time for our friends and family.

Also they say that time apart makes the heart grow fonder. I believe that is true as well as I have experienced it and it must be at play with your sons

Now you ought to organise a get together once a year, at least... And keep in contact with them regularly. I try talking to my olds once a week, sometimes twice a week. Even a text.

Praise be to God