Love not the world, nor the things of the world...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
KJV 1 John 2:15-16
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

I really don't expect much of a response to this thread, because most Christians, myself included, have some worldly tendencies and affections, and haven't fully forsaken those things that could be classified as belonging to the world. Speaking about them in depth can trigger some uncomfortable feelings we may not want to entertain.
The question and discussion I thought might be interesting, is what are those things that being to the world that we shouldn't be partaking of? The lusts of flesh and eyes, and pride of life... What are they? Can we list them? Are they different from one culture to another? Are they different from one generation to another?
I ask because John isn't mincing words here. He's talking straight, the love of the Father isn't in him.
Is our love divided? Are we serving two, or more, masters?
KJV Romans 6:16
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Thoughts?

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think a good example of those two lusts, and the pride are shown through Jesus temptations in the desert. Turn this stone to bread = lust of the flesh; I will give you everything you see if you worship me = lust of the eyes; prove your the Son of God, jump off the building, God will catch you = pride of life!

One thing to remember, God has no problems with us having stuff, (for He gave us richly all things to enjoy) as long as we don't put stuff before Him!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It can't mean that we are to avoid everything that people in the world do---like sleeping or using the restroom.

I think it means we are not to join the world in rebelling against God and His Word.

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It can't mean that we are to avoid everything that people in the world do---like sleeping or using the restroom.

I think it means we are not to join the world in rebelling against God and His Word.

I agree; it also means, like I said before, that we should not put ANYTHING, even sleep, before God, and His Word.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

I really don't expect much of a response to this thread, because most Christians, myself included, have some worldly tendencies and affections, and haven't fully forsaken those things that could be classified as belonging to the world. Speaking about them in depth can trigger some uncomfortable feelings we may not want to entertain.
The question and discussion I thought might be interesting, is what are those things that being to the world that we shouldn't be partaking of? The lusts of flesh and eyes, and pride of life... What are they? Can we list them? Are they different from one culture to another? Are they different from one generation to another?
I ask because John isn't mincing words here. He's talking straight, the love of the Father isn't in him.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Thoughts?
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Reactions: amigo de christo

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33
Hey John. I love that scripture. I had been a Christian for about 10 years then fell away. I wasn't at that time the Bible student I am today. I would read the scriptures from time to time, but not as study. I fell away from God, from fellowship, from the Christian way of life for about 5 years.
When in desperation I fell to my knees and pleaded for forgiveness, asked Him to heal my marriage, and bring my children home to Him, and asked God, what must I do, that verse came to my mind as God's answer. After 5 years God was still willing to speak to me. I followed his counsel, and my marriage has never been better, and my children did all come to Him, except one.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey John. I love that scripture. I had been a Christian for about 10 years then fell away. I wasn't at that time the Bible student I am today. I would read the scriptures from time to time, but not as study. I fell away from God, from fellowship, from the Christian way of life for about 5 years.
When in desperation I fell to my knees and pleaded for forgiveness, asked Him to heal my marriage, and bring my children home to Him, and asked God, what must I do, that verse came to my mind as God's answer. After 5 years God was still willing to speak to me. I followed his counsel, and my marriage has never been better, and my children did all come to Him, except one.
According to God, first things always first and then what? "All these things shall be added".

Our marriages, our children, our comforts! Are these all then guaranteed? No, although some people claim guarantees that I do not see. God, however, loves us and if we are obedient in seeking the first things, does He not bless us greatly?

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to God, first things always first and then what? "All these things shall be added".

Our marriages, our children, our comforts! Are these all then guaranteed? No, although some people claim guarantees that I do not see. God, however, loves us and we are obedient in seeking the first things, does He not bless us greatly?
And lets not forget this blessing either .
JESUS once said something that i think most folks would not see as a blessing .
BUT IT IS A BLESSING .
BLESSED are you when you are hated , persecuted , revilved , seperated and cast out for HIS name sake .
THE LORD is with the lambs no matter what comes against us . And on that note , ME THINKS ITS TIME AGAIN TO YET PRAISE and THANK
and THANK and PRAISE the GLORIOUS LORD . So lift those hands up again my friend and let the glorious LORD be praised .

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Our marriages, our children, our comforts! Are these all then guaranteed? No, although some people claim guarantees that I do not see. God, however, loves us and if we are obedient in seeking the first things, does He not bless us greatly?

All these things added in context is talking about needs, like clothing and food; things we need not worry about. When God said "it is not good for man to be alone" That guarantees that you should find your mate; there are many promises throughout the OT that promises children also. So yes those are guaranteed. God also gives us richly ALL THINGS to enjoy! As long as we put Him first.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Temperance, self sacrifice, self denial. That's what the practise of the children of God ought to be. The world is lost in a see of self indulgence. Pleasure and the satisfying of lustful passions are the way of the world. We are called to be different. To be a light. To separate ourselves from that mindset. Sadly,
KJV Luke 8:14
14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
I think most of us are guilty of compromising from time to time. We believe 'just a little worldly pleasure never hurt anyone'. And that 'little' so often becomes a 'little more', until there is no separation between ourselves and our unbelieving neighbors. But God isn't a liar. The love of the Father is not in him.
We are approaching judgement. Can we confidently claim we are saved if at the same time the scriptures speak so directly against so many of our cherished loves and desires?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Temperance, self sacrifice, self denial. That's what the practise of the children of God ought to be. The world is lost in a see of self indulgence. Pleasure and the satisfying of lustful passions are the way of the world. We are called to be different. To be a light. To separate ourselves from that mindset. Sadly,
14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
I think most of us are guilty of compromising from time to time. We believe 'just a little worldly pleasure never hurt anyone'. And that 'little' so often becomes a 'little more', until there is no separation between ourselves and our unbelieving neighbors. But God isn't a liar. The love of the Father is not in him.
We are approaching judgement. Can we confidently claim we are saved if at the same time the scriptures speak so directly against so many of our cherished loves and desires?
Let all who name the name of Jesus Christ depart from iniquity . Its time to plant those feet and fight the good fight of faith .
Never looking back and in all that we do and say may it HONOR the Glorious LORD .

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
While I certainly agree with the above, I think we tend toward compromising our faith by partaking of things which, while they may not be perceived as openly rebellious, are still of the world and therefore devoid of the Spirit of God. In such cases we tend to mix the holy with the profane. We even go to such lengths as "baptizing" practises and objects to justify keeping them.
Such as "Christian rock".

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Thoughts?
The things of the world are faithlessness ie, relying on ones achievements and judging according to the lack of them.
At heart I'm a self indulging hedonist. That might shock some...it even shocks me......however, there is another principle which wars with this fundamental inclination.....and that's how it is.
Is the war being won? "there is therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus......' Romans 8:1
Here lies my security, here lies my trust, here the war is won.

Reactions: Nancy and Brakelite

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are a selfish lot... including so many it seems who are quick to name themselves Christians as they assure themselves that they are finally saved and simply need to wait for the rewards they believe God promised to them.

Is that like our Jesus? Is that even on the approach to being like our Jesus?

Jesus asked for something for himself here:

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me..."

However what he was asking was not in accord with His Father's will. He perhaps already knew that as he added these words:

"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

Jesus was completely selfless as a man with fleshly temptations.

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus," Phil 2:3-5

When is it we are to be like him... after the dirt is shoveled on our faces? Will that not be a bit late if our time of testing and growing is now during the time allotted to us?

Reactions: Nancy and Brakelite