Mark 16?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Also the serpent that moses had...when his serpent ate the other serpents...did this represent Jesus taking on our sin?

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
interesting idea setfree, but I tend to think that particular story of Moses' staff/serpent was to demonstrate Gods almighty power over any other "power"

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Red_Letters88;53481)
where exactly are you talking about in scripture, setfree? Id love to help and look but im lost.
All I know, is that nowhere in the bible that refers Christ as a serpent, as the serpent is only associated with evil.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(setfree;53472)
I am trying to study Mark 16...the part of the serpents.
There are 2 applications - natural and spiritual. In Acts, Paul literally was not poisoned when a snake bit him (he didn't tempt The Lord by deliberately finding a snake to play with).The spiritual aspect is that believers will have power over the cunning poison of religios serpents, Jesus referred to the pharisees as a generation of vipers. Believers that know the true gospel and it's power to transform lives will not be tricked by religious concepts and false gospels that don't.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Red_Letters88;53481)
where exactly are you talking about in scripture, setfree? Id love to help and look but im lost.
I have gone back to Mark 16 to study it a little more and when I came across the serpents I was looking up all the serpent scriptures in the Bible....I came across Numbers 21 when it was talking about the Lord sending fiery serpents to the people.... I too thought that the serpent always represented evil....but when Moses made a serpent made of brass(this is what I want to know about), does it represent Jesus(this is what I was taught years ago.) I was wanting to know what brass represented in the Bible?What the serpent in Numbers represented?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(thesuperjag;53482)
All I know, is that nowhere in the bible that refers Christ as a serpent, as the serpent is only associated with evil.
So you are saying the brass serpent that moses made represents evil?What about the moses staff that turned into a snake and ate the other snakes...does moses snake represent evil here too?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Red_Letters88;53475)
interesting idea setfree, but I tend to think that particular story of Moses' staff/serpent was to demonstrate Gods almighty power over any other "power"
I was taught this too, and it makes sense!But I was taught like thesuperjag that serpents represented evil, but that does not make sense when the serpent(moses staff) ate the other serpents..can moses staff represent evil?Also the brass serpent...when they looked upon this serpent they lived...so if it serpents represent evil...how does it fit in here if they lived by looking at evil.Do you see my confusion? when I try to think like I was taught (serpents represent evil)...well it does not fit!So I was thinking that the (brass) serpent here represented CHrist. The fiery serpents represent(?)Maybe as Tall man said...they represent the religious(generation of vipers).Now to put this with Mark 16 where it says ..take up serpents and they shall not hurt you. If I could understand more about Numbers I think it will shed light on Mark. Anyway..this is where I am going with this. If anyone could shed light on this...I will appreciate it.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(setfree;53500)
(Red_Letter88;53475)
I was taught this too, and it makes sense!But I was taught like thesuperjag that serpents represented evil, but that does not make sense when the serpent(moses staff) ate the other serpents..can moses staff represent evil?Also the brass serpent...when they looked upon this serpent they lived...so if it serpents represent evil...how does it fit in here if they lived by looking at evil.Do you see my confusion? when I try to think like I was taught (serpents represent evil)...well it does not fit!So I was thinking that the (brass) serpent here represented CHrist. The fiery serpents represent(?)Maybe as Tall man said...they represent the religious(generation of vipers).The literal snake is not evil. In fact everything God creates is SO good. So God creates snake which is a reptile is good.The serpent in the bible most of the time (at least) is referred as a characteristic of a man. Most of the time it is used symbolically.

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
(kriss;50075)
Yes it applies to everyone but in those days there was no large church body the command to go forth and preach the Word was given to them but as the church body grew it was the command to the entire body of the chruch
How come it applies to everyone? Sometimes Jesus was speaking specifically to the apostles and sometimes to all disciples.Here Mark tells us Jesus was speaking to the eleven and told them to preach (proclaim) the gospel (verse 15). He then (verses 17,18) said what believers could do.He told all believers they would witness to him (Acts 1:8) “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” But here he in Mark gives instructions to the apostles to preach.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(kriss;50075)
they are both mentioned because believe requires repentance and the holy spirit comes to you think of Jesus here he always believed but the holy spirit did not come on him til he was baptised.Yes it applies to everyone but in those days there was no large church body the command to go forth and preach the Word was given to them but as the church body grew it was the command to the entire body of the chruchTongues here is the same word we have discussed before in means the natural languages of men they had not known before So they could preach the Gospel around the World as commanded it did not spread the Word if one preached in Greek to a spannish audiencethey needed to speak the language of the peoples they were speaking to 1 Cor. this is the same thing. The command is preach the gospel around the World. And yeah I have to agree with you here the poison could very well be sybolic for lies of Satan. But it could also be literalto the power of healing and laying on of hands I say this because it implies one can choose to drink a deadly thing why would a believer choose to drink in the poison of Satan/or deadly things? And I completly agree with you on the snake being symbolic
[1] I was baptised in the Holy Ghost before I was baptised in water. So were the believers in Acts 10.Tongue were and are divers, If you was to read 1 Corinthians 12: 10. & v 28. you will see that.There are different ways in which we can speak in tongues.[1] Different langueges. Acts 2: 4--12.[2]Mysteries. [ That no man will understand] 1 Cor 14: 2.[3] Tongues that will edify you. 1 Cor 14: 4.[4] Our prayer language. 1 Cor 14: 14-15.[5] A tongue in which there will be an interpretation. 1Cor 12:10 & v 30. 1 Cor 14:26-28.But please notice that no tongue was given for preaching or teaching God's message. In Acts 2. they were not preaching or teaching, they were speaking the wonderful works of God.In fact 1 Cor 14: 21. say's, They will not understnd.Altough I believe one can. teach or preach in another language if God wanted. I would never limmit God.I know one man spoke in tongues to a German man, and the German heard it in the German language, and the German got saved.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(winsome;53838)
How come it applies to everyone? Sometimes Jesus was speaking specifically to the apostles and sometimes to all disciples.Here Mark tells us Jesus was speaking to the eleven and told them to preach (proclaim) the gospel (verse 15). He then (verses 17,18) said what believers could do.He told all believers they would witness to him (Acts 1:8) “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” But here he in Mark gives instructions to the apostles to preach. [/COLOR]
If you read Mark 16: 17. It doesn't say it was only for the Apostles, It says, "These signs shall follow THEM THAT BELIEVE"