MATTHEW 16:21 GET THEE BEHIND ME, SATAN

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

Peter was rebuking Jesus for pronouncing his death and resurrection. It was by Christ's redemption, his complete work of salvation by his cross, that all can be saved freely. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

Peter could not have been preaching the same gospel of salvation unto eternal life by the cross, as Paul would. Peter could not deny the death of Jesus if he had a full understanding of what it would accomplish. 1 Corinthians 1:18

16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Jesus was speaking to the Jewish disciples in regard to what was required of them to enter the kingdom on earth; the kingdom promised to Israel in the law and the prophets. Daniel 7:18 Exodus 19:6

16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Jesus was speaking of his coming, to establish his millennial kingdom on earth. Jesus was speaking of the reward, which will be given in the kingdom, to those Jews who will follow him; those who will take up their cross, and be willing to lose their life in the tribulation, for their gain in the kingdom.

16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HUH??

Jesus hadn't yet finished His ministry.
Jesus hadn't yet died on the cross.
Jesus hadn't yet Risen.
Jesus hadn't yet sent the Holy Spirit to His Disciples.

WHY would you make such a bizarre presumption about Peter this early in Christ's ministry - and before the indwelling of the Holy Spirit??

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HUH??

Jesus hadn't yet finished His ministry.
Jesus hadn't yet died on the cross.
Jesus hadn't yet Risen.
Jesus hadn't yet sent the Holy Spirit to His Disciples.

WHY would you make such a bizarre presumption about Peter this early in Christ's ministry - and before the indwelling of the Holy Spirit??

I was giving food for thought because some say there is only one gospel. Peter was not preaching the cross as Paul would if Peter did not yet understand the cross.

Peter was at this time told to preach the gospel of the kingdom. The coming prophetic on earth, in which, Jesus would reign with the Apostles over the Gentile nations, and be a light to the Gentiles. Matthew 4:23 Luke 9:2

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was giving food for thought because some say there is only one gospel. Peter was not preaching the cross as Paul would if Peter did not yet understand the cross.

Peter was at this time told to preach the gospel of the kingdom. The coming prophetic on earth, in which, Jesus would reign with the Apostles over the Gentile nations, and be a light to the Gentiles. Matthew 4:23 Luke 9:2
Once again - you are talking about Peter BEFORE . . .
- Jesus finished His ministry.
- Jesus died on the cross.
- Jesus rose from the dead.
- Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to His Disciples.

Paul came to Christ AFTER all of these things came to pass.
It's apples and oranges . . .

Reactions: amadeus

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting explanation of the passage, but I'm not sure that Jesus' exhortation had anything to do specifically with Jewish saints during the tribulation (scripture kind of suggests that saints during the great tribulation will be beheaded, not crucified. But I suppose God can mix metaphors.)
The Jews actually did have the gospel of salvation long before the birth of Jesus, much less His death and resurrection. Isaiah wrote it pretty clearly in the suffering servant passage which we have as chapter 53 of the book of Isaiah, though Jesus wasn't mentioned by name there. The problem was that the Jews didn't understand the passage then and still don't today.
It became painfully clear to me over the last few days that at least some professing Christians in these forums don't grasp the meaning or point of the Lord's rebuke. I think that it's obvious that the rebuke came at Peter's attempt to keep Jesus from the cross. But why did He say "Get behind me Satan" to Peter, the rock?
I'm reasonably sure that Peter isn't Satan so I'd like to hear a reasonable explanation of the rebuke and I'd like to hear an application of this passage to our lives (unless you think its just a story and not relevant.)

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting explanation of the passage, but I'm not sure that Jesus' exhortation had anything to do specifically with Jewish saints during the tribulation (scripture kind of suggests that saints during the great tribulation will be beheaded, not crucified. But I suppose God can mix metaphors.)
The Jews actually did have the gospel of salvation long before the birth of Jesus, much less His death and resurrection. Isaiah wrote it pretty clearly in the suffering servant passage which we have as chapter 53 of the book of Isaiah, though Jesus wasn't mentioned by name there. The problem was that the Jews didn't understand the passage then and still don't today.
It became painfully clear to me over the last few days that at least some professing Christians in these forums don't grasp the meaning or point of the Lord's rebuke. I think that it's obvious that the rebuke came at Peter's attempt to keep Jesus from the cross. But why did He say "Get behind me Satan" to Peter, the rock?
I'm reasonably sure that Peter isn't Satan so I'd like to hear a reasonable explanation of the rebuke and I'd like to hear an application of this passage to our lives (unless you think its just a story and not relevant.)

Peter was resisting the death of Christ because he did not yet understand it.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again - you are talking about Peter BEFORE . . .
- Jesus finished His ministry.
- Jesus died on the cross.
- Jesus rose from the dead.
- Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to His Disciples.

Paul came to Christ AFTER all of these things came to pass.
It's apples and oranges . . .
And Paul also had some serious problems before he knew who Jesus was. Both of them, Peter and Paul, went through a conversion process. Both of them grew closer to God through Jesus by the Holy Ghost. In both cases we are able to read their testimonies in the scriptures. Ultimately God has only one message for men although many of the details for individuals are certainly different. Not every man will be the fingers or the ears or the mouth of the Body of Christ! Every one has his calling!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm still wondering about the language Jesus used to rebuke Peter. Why didn't He just say something like, "stop it Peter, you don't understand! The cross is my father's will." Was " get behind me satan" a common idiom of the day? I don't know the original languages, but was Satan commonly used to refer to any adversary? Was Jesus saying that Satan was influencing Peter? I think the latter is most likely as the Holy Spirit was not yet given, but I'm interested in other perspectives.

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Why did Jesus wants to go to Jerusalem and Peter forbid him ?
Because in Jerusalem there lies the Scribes of Sadducee and Pharisees, and many of them are against Jesus and spread the lies and forbid people of Israel to not follow Jesus teaching. Their worship to God were not using their heart and feelings but they worship God only by ritual and physical appearance, that's why many sick and handicap people are prevented being enter into the house of God. That's why Jesus was mad to Peter because Jesus need to rebuke those High Priests in Jerusalem. (Matthew 16:5-12). If we see how Jesus was always using his heart when he healed the sick and all people that need a help :
  1. He desire mercy : Matthew 9:13
  2. He had pity to his people : Matthew 9:36; Matthew 14:14; Matthew 15:32; Matthew 20:34
  3. He desire mercy not a sacrifice : Matthew 12:7
  4. Many high priests was made sacrifice as priority in worship : Matthew 23:23
So, many examples of above scriptures are subjected on how did mankind was always made a sacrifice to the demons, they won't solve the problem rather of eliminate the problem. Many high priests was prioritising their pride of society and the high value of the official position rather than using their heart, because many high priests are representing the law of the nation and keeping their decision pleases the haters of Jesus; this is similar to Herod that prefers to keep his dignity and to please their guest to behead John (Matthew 14:1-12). That's why many high priests are in dilemma when they're faced to pleases the Lord or pleases the dignity of the king (gov).