Matthew 7:6

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
i dont think it wise for a person to debate the bibles doctines.

Matthew 7:6 (New International Version)

6"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

01CobraVortech

May 2, 2010
NJ
Sure its wise to debate the doctrines of the Bible. We should always be pursuing the truth and the full understanding of the word. Thank God we have disagreements and a willingness to fully understand the most complex writing that has ever come across man's hands. If our ancestors subscribed to the notion that it wasn't wise to debate the scriptures, then we might never have had a Reformation.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Ya, pretty much all be praying to Mary if not looking at Doctrine, and debating.

Jesus Is Lord

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia

6"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

This isn't talking about debating. This is about giving a spiritual gift to those who agressively reject God (i.e. sharing a prophecy, sharing a vision, etc.)

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The above verse relates to the one after it Mat. (7:7) "Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will be open unto you."

Jesus reminds us that He will care for all our needs by His explanation of the lilies of the field that are better clothed than Solomon himself Mat (6:26) and the birds of the air, who do not spin or toil, always find their food (6:28).

Jesus was saying our Father in heaven is very mindful of our needs and will not let us down if we ask Him. Unfortunately some don't even ask.
Jas. (4:2) Nevertheless God promises to cover our needs.

One day as I was reading (7:7) the Lord enlightened the passage for me. He showed me that most people will remain in a "asking mode" for the majority of their life. They ask for everything and anything that they may need. Spiritual, mental, emotional, physical, social it doesn't matter, God knows our needs before we ask and provides for us, His children. However as long as we remain in this "asking mode", we remain in a chidlike mode. A child is always asking for something: a baby cries for a bottle or a diaper change, a todller is asking for a cookie or a hug, a teen is looking for the car keys and $10 for pizza.

God then explained that He was looking for people to grow up and mature. People who will trust Him in supplying their needs so that they can get on with seeking Him. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God..." Seeking God is a sign of maturity. We rest assured in His love, care and benevolence to cover all the bases of our needs so that we can move on and seek Him for who He is. Their is much more to God than we can ever imagine. The Depth of His Love, Compassion, Knowledge, etc. is beyond our wildest imagination. 1 Cor. (2:9) states: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

The things that God will share with us when we seek Him, with all our heart, will revolutionize, change, amaze, transform our lives. These are the nuggets of gold, the priceless pearls that He so graciously drops into our hands, our lives. They are wonderful blessings that we cherish for a season. However these are also the pearls that God eventualy would have us deliver to others in order to enrich their lives. As His ambassadors we should always be on the look out for that open door which He will often swing open without us even knocking.

But sometimes we do throw them to swine. Has it ever happened to you? God shows you something wonderful and your exitement you shared it with the first person you meet. They listen to you, and when you're finished, they look at you with a blank stare and ask you: "So how are the petunias coming along?"

That's my 2 cents.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

this isnt really about christians discussing scripture or debating doctrines....its about wasting our time debating with non believers who have no intention on hearing the word with an open heart. Those sorts of people will not accept the word of God no matter how much we try to show them so Jesus was telling his disciples not to waste time with them because they will not appreciate it but rather trample it down.

Now with regard to doctrines, if we 'dont' debate what we see to be falsehood, then we could fall into the trap of believing every word we hear and never questioning it. If a doctrine is inaccurate and not inline with scripture, we have a responsibility to God to ensure that it is exposed as being false and therefore its imperative that we do examine and debate such things. Jesus did so with the religious leaders of his day and so we should today.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
this isnt really about christians discussing scripture or debating doctrines....its about wasting our time debating with non believers who have no intention on hearing the word with an open heart. Those sorts of people will not accept the word of God no matter how much we try to show them so Jesus was telling his disciples not to waste time with them because they will not appreciate it but rather trample it down.

Now with regard to doctrines, if we 'dont' debate what we see to be falsehood, then we could fall into the trap of believing every word we hear and never questioning it. If a doctrine is inaccurate and not inline with scripture, we have a responsibility to God to ensure that it is exposed as being false and therefore its imperative that we do examine and debate such things. Jesus did so with the religious leaders of his day and so we should today.

Good answer when taken out of context.
But the Lord did show me otherwise as per my previous post.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Good answer when taken out of context.
But the Lord did show me otherwise as per my previous post.

so christians are to have no responsibility when it comes to what they believe

they should simply accept every word they hear from preachers without question?

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
It is necessary for divisions to exist between those of faith in regard to the true interpretation of scriptures. It allows those who are listening/reading on to come to the truth. Because the true interpretation will hold up to testing from those who put forward the false view.

Read the following scripture:

1 Corrinthians 11
18 For first of all, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you, and in part I believe it. 19 For there must also be factions among you, that those who are approved may be recognized among you.

The primary benefit of debate on the true message of scripture is not to the ones involved in the debating, but on the third parties that are viewing it and listening.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so christians are to have no responsibility when it comes to what they believe

they should simply accept every word they hear from preachers without question?

Not at all. Your point is well made. We are to test, correct, reprove any teaching or presching that does not line up with God's Word. There are many verses to support that. I'm just saying this verse is not one to support that when taken in context. The context is not to be watchful of false teachers but to be trusting of God's care and benevolence towards His people so that they will never lack or need to worry.