Men, Can you Tell If Other Men Are Good-Looking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men, can you tell if other men are good-looking?

• Not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a slightest sense of it.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I can tell, I think, but not to the degree women can.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, I can perceive that another man is good-looking.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So refreshing to hear a husband speak in loving words about his wife...and visa-versa :)
And yes, agreed about the "infatuation at first sight"...lust, really...IMHO.
I think love of all kinds can grow if we feed it and water it.

I couldn't think of anything for our golden anniversary until I was complaining to someone how her crafting and sewing materials were filling up my shed. He said "sounds like she needs a she-shed."

So...
48920165167_30ee3f9368_b.jpg

Reactions: Nancy and onlyme17

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She was really happy about it. She thinks I'm an old man, so I had to pay someone to frame and roof it, but I got to finish it out for her. It did give me my shed back, so there is that. I'm still working on the solar system, so she'll have enough power to run a fan or heater as needed.

She designed, I built. It was a great time, working together. Except gluing down the indoor/outdoor carpet. Don't ever do that, if you can avoid it.

Reactions: onlyme17 and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She was really happy about it. She thinks I'm an old man, so I had to pay someone to frame and roof it, but I got to finish it out for her. It did give me my shed back, so there is that. I'm still working on the solar system, so she'll have enough power to run a fan or heater as needed.

She designed, I built. It was a great time, working together. Except gluing down the indoor/outdoor carpet. Don't ever do that, if you can avoid it.

Awesome.
No gluing, got it ;)

Reactions: onlyme17

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
American men don't usually go around telling other men they are good-looking, but I have heard some comments like that in Asia. Occasionally, I have heard an American man say another man was good-looking.

I didn't take these comments as serious, though. I have almost no ability to tell if another man is good-looking. I can tell if I, personally, think a woman is good-looking, and for the ones I consider exceptionally good-looking, most other men seem to agree.

I read a blog post where a woman asked a guy if a potential date was good-looking, and this male friend of hers said he could not tell. She thought he was being dishonest. I got curious. Can men tell if another man is good looking? Am I lacking in some normal ability? I never thought much about it but if someone had asked me, I would wonder if it was just the case that women could tell if women are good looking and straight men were clueless.

Thinking back, it was not just me who is in this boat. In college, I worked with a guy who was upset at first when a girl said he looked like French actor Gérard Depardieu. But later a girl told him that that actor was good-looking, so he did not feel bad. (The actor was younger back then, and he did resemble him and have the same build and hair.)

Come to think of it, male movie directors would have to have some sort of sense of this to cast good-looking leading men unless they relied purely on female opinion.

I did a straw poll of a few guys at work and a conversation with another group of guys. One man said he could tell. He was a musician. Maybe he had an artistic bent. Another said that was something only women could know. I think 40% were in my category, no idea or just the slightest sense.

If a guy has strange features, I can guess that he is not good-looking. But sometimes I can guess that a man in a movie is good-looking-- but usually I get context clue like he is going to be the male lead in a move. I ask my wife if a man is good-looking in a movie, because sometimes it helps me pick up on those aspects of the storyline.

I know that facial symmetry and certain other features contribute to beauty. With female faces, that seems to be part of it, but exaggerated features like feminine features (feminine jawline) or large eyes can make a woman look prettier. I am assuming symmetry plus a big square jaw might be two variables for men. With women, I can see facial beauty instantly. With a man, I'd have to guess based on psychological research. :)
I look in the mirror these days and have distant memories about when I was once good looking. Someone took a picture of me beside my 28 year old daughter, and when I saw it I initially wondered who the old guy was!!

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I look in the mirror these days and have distant memories about when I was once good looking. Someone took a picture of me beside my 28 year old daughter, and when I saw it I initially wondered who the old guy was!!

After a while, it gets better. I was shaving today, and thought "I'm not as ugly as I thought I was."

Reactions: onlyme17

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
American men don't usually go around telling other men they are good-looking, but I have heard some comments like that in Asia. Occasionally, I have heard an American man say another man was good-looking.

I didn't take these comments as serious, though. I have almost no ability to tell if another man is good-looking. I can tell if I, personally, think a woman is good-looking, and for the ones I consider exceptionally good-looking, most other men seem to agree.

I read a blog post where a woman asked a guy if a potential date was good-looking, and this male friend of hers said he could not tell. She thought he was being dishonest. I got curious. Can men tell if another man is good looking? Am I lacking in some normal ability? I never thought much about it but if someone had asked me, I would wonder if it was just the case that women could tell if women are good looking and straight men were clueless.

Thinking back, it was not just me who is in this boat. In college, I worked with a guy who was upset at first when a girl said he looked like French actor Gérard Depardieu. But later a girl told him that that actor was good-looking, so he did not feel bad. (The actor was younger back then, and he did resemble him and have the same build and hair.)

Come to think of it, male movie directors would have to have some sort of sense of this to cast good-looking leading men unless they relied purely on female opinion.

I did a straw poll of a few guys at work and a conversation with another group of guys. One man said he could tell. He was a musician. Maybe he had an artistic bent. Another said that was something only women could know. I think 40% were in my category, no idea or just the slightest sense.

If a guy has strange features, I can guess that he is not good-looking. But sometimes I can guess that a man in a movie is good-looking-- but usually I get context clue like he is going to be the male lead in a move. I ask my wife if a man is good-looking in a movie, because sometimes it helps me pick up on those aspects of the storyline.

I know that facial symmetry and certain other features contribute to beauty. With female faces, that seems to be part of it, but exaggerated features like feminine features (feminine jawline) or large eyes can make a woman look prettier. I am assuming symmetry plus a big square jaw might be two variables for men. With women, I can see facial beauty instantly. With a man, I'd have to guess based on psychological research. :)
Yeah, if he looks like me in my prime, he's good looking! ;)

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol, yes...hooking up like that is beyond ridiculous but...then again...it is the WORLD'S view. How sad.
It's another attack on degrading the sanctity of Marriage ! with such a show.
That show is just another attempt that is clearly dragging such through the mud.
It should off been called what it truly is Bogans anomy.