MetalMike's Testimony (Mike)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up in an abusive family and come from a long line of alcoholics and addicts. There was a lot of physical and psychological abuse growing up (and I'm not counting the spankings I got for misbehaving). I was made to feel worthless and useless from the repeated names I was called by my parents, despite having a clean school record and excellent grades. We were not a church-going family, and we had no bible in the house. I had come to the conclusion that God couldn't exist since I was in such an abusive situation, and what loving God would do that to somebody?

I joined the military after high school to run away from home. I had the grades for college and was accepted but was not eligible for scholarships due to lack of extracurricular activities (which my parents forbid me to participate in). While my home life, particularly as a teen, was bad, my young adult life was not much better. I followed in my dad's footsteps and took up drinking, and I made a lot of bad choices that made my life anything but happy. This had fueled my belief that God didn't exist. I met my wife and we got married over my parents' objections (they didn't like her because she was of Italian descent). My family actually disowned me over marrying her and didn't accept my children as their grandchildren. This made me more bitter, but I had at least quit drinking after I met my wife.

Long story short (I had a long story when I started this, but this forum doesn't accept posts over 1000 characters LOL), I finally tried out church at my wife's repeated pleadings, and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior on March 31, 2005.

I still bear the scars from my childhood, but I don't attribute my childhood to it being a result of a lack of God's existence. I realized that God put me in that situation to bring my heart to Him, and that He was with me the whole time, even as I rejected Him in my younger days. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Sorry for the short story, but I'm trying to keep this under 1000 characters.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I grew up in an abusive family and come from a long line of alcoholics and addicts. There was a lot of physical and psychological abuse growing up (and I'm not counting the spankings I got for misbehaving). I was made to feel worthless and useless from the repeated names I was called by my parents, despite having a clean school record and excellent grades. We were not a church-going family, and we had no bible in the house. I had come to the conclusion that God couldn't exist since I was in such an abusive situation, and what loving God would do that to somebody?

I joined the military after high school to run away from home. I had the grades for college and was accepted but was not eligible for scholarships due to lack of extracurricular activities (which my parents forbid me to participate in). While my home life, particularly as a teen, was bad, my young adult life was not much better. I followed in my dad's footsteps and took up drinking, and I made a lot of bad choices that made my life anything but happy. This had fueled my belief that God didn't exist. I met my wife and we got married over my parents' objections (they didn't like her because she was of Italian descent). My family actually disowned me over marrying her and didn't accept my children as their grandchildren. This made me more bitter, but I had at least quit drinking after I met my wife.

Long story short (I had a long story when I started this, but this forum doesn't accept posts over 1000 characters LOL), I finally tried out church at my wife's repeated pleadings, and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior on March 31, 2005.

I still bear the scars from my childhood, but I don't attribute my childhood to it being a result of a lack of God's existence. I realized that God put me in that situation to bring my heart to Him, and that He was with me the whole time, even as I rejected Him in my younger days. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Thanks for sharing Mike, I love to read people's testimonies as it's always uplifting to hear what God is doing in people's lives.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(I had a long story when I started this, but this forum doesn't accept posts over 1000 characters LOL),

Just put your testimony in more than one post.

We're definitely interested in the details.

(if your post goes over, just cut the latter end of it until it is short enough, and then paste it in the next post. If it's still too long after one time of doing this, paste it back in the first post and cut out a little more.)

Reactions: GracefulWarrior

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonderful testimony! I find it interesting that in such a household you were able to maintain a good GPA. I am in the public education field, and many times this isn't the case.

I would hope things are better between your parents and yourself, but if they aren't, I wouldn't blame you.

Thanks again for your testimony.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Awesome testimony brother! Thank you for sharing xox :goodn: PS: I was not aware of the limitations on Testimonies. Perhaps you could have posted more than once.... :Broadly:

Blessings to you and Peace from God!

Reactions: Keturah