Midweek Service

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The thing is, I don't care what the Bible "means to you" I care what the Bible means. These "what does the Bible mean to you" studies only leads to theological error.
seems right, huh?
he who says he knows, does not
how is it you did not know I was not talking about bread?

I assume that is in your humble opinion.

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well you might just review and trust the crowd wisdom here so far; count the likes for and against iow.
but i hope you dont perceive these as condemnation ok...as i said, we pretty much all believe the sun rose out our butts too lol. its a human condition i guess
you have started to believe everything you say
Scripture calls that "standing where it should not be."
pretty much endemic tho i think
I don't care what the Bible means to a person, I care what it means.

Actually what I said is distinctly different than what you tried to project on me.
just so you know there is even a v you would not much like in the context of your previous post there, but i guess now is not the time. You might observe others who are guided by Absolute Truths here and see tho. peace

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
weird how we confemn science, right, but science readily admits to "knowing" just <5% lol
and thats collectively.
individually we might know as little as like 1 even?
i guess a baby = 0?

and dunning-krueger, huh?

but all i can find Scripturally on the matter is the cryptic
he who says he knows, does not...
well i guess there is
wise in his own eyes,
plenty of that right.
so there it is

oh, plus eating what is it?

if my eating meat offends

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Though there is no mandate in Scripture to have supplemental services, they served a vital purpose when that was the norm. If you love something, it becomes your priority; it is hard to drag you away from it. The Church as Scripture describes it, is marked by an unmistakable and overt mutual love for one another, and genuine caring for one another. True love desires to be around each other as much as possible. We would call that true fellowship (not what we flippantly call "fellowship" today). I believe that the Early Church automatically had that sense of love and community, and that you did not have to schedule an event to get people to want to be together. Early on, most did not have any designated building they called "the Church", so such a schedule was unlikely to be needed.

Yet, here we are today. Most of us live busy lives in large communities where we rarely see fellow Christians during the week that we worship with on Sundays. I think that supplementary services were scheduled to encourage fellowship, and it was a response to what people wanted. Unfortunately, it may have devolved into being viewed as a forced schedule, and to some... a means of implying who was committed, and who was not. Personally, I liked the supplemental services. I have been in places where true fellowship actually happens apart from a schedule of Church endorsed events; this sadly, was a rare experience.

In the New Testament Church they met every day.

Reactions: Pisteuo

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My church, which is a New Testament church, doesn't have a formal midweek 'service' as such but people meet informally in small groups to study the bible and pray together and then once a month the church comes together - again informally - as a whole to pray.
Hello Pearl. What does a New Testament Church look like?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The thing is, I don't care what the Bible "means to you" I care what the Bible means. These "what does the Bible mean to you" studies only leads to theological error.
Theological error is usually caused by a church that does not acknowledge the teaching of scripture which prevents the ministry of teaching to be recognised, so the pastor is a one size fits all person who has no teaching ability whatsoever.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Few churches have midweek services these days. It is nice to go to church on a weeknight and worship as a congregation and then have some kind of class for a half hour or so.

When I was a teenager my week looked like this.
Sunday morning 10am Boys Brigade Bible Class. 11am. Morning service. 2.30pm. Sunday School. 6.30pm Evening meeting. 8pm. Youth Fellowship.
Monday. Junior Boys Brigade assistant.
Tuesday. Christian Endeavour.
Wednesday Prayer and Bible Study.
Thursday -------------
Friday. Boys Brigade
Saturday. Youth Fellowship or visiting an area Youth Rally.

From time to time I was taken by one of the deacons who was booked to speak at another church to lead the service or give an impromptu message for children.

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wed nights we have open discussion . as ell as sunday school. we also have preaching of the word which i support

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
wed nights we have open discussion . as ell as sunday school. we also have preaching of the word which i support
Just as a matter of interest, where in the NTC was there preaching of the word?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Pearl. What does a New Testament Church look like?
It tries to follow the blueprint/template for believers which is described in Acts 2:42-47 in which all the believers are a priesthood and minister to each other and are allowed to share words or scriptures, songs or prayers etc. during meetings. Also there is no hierarchy of clergy, no one 'pastor' and we all get turns at ministering the bread and wine or doing baptisms. And we also share lunch together after the meeting once a month. And most importantly we all love each other. It isn't perfect though, but then which church is.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It tries to follow the blueprint/template for believers which is described in Acts 2:42-47 in which all the believers are a priesthood and minister to each other and are allowed to share words or scriptures, songs or prayers etc. during meetings. Also there is no hierarchy of clergy, no one 'pastor' and we all get turns at ministering the bread and wine or doing baptisms. And we also share lunch together after the meeting once a month. And most importantly we all love each other. It isn't perfect though, but then which church is.
Sounds good to me.

Reactions: Pearl

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Corinthians 1:21
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
Sorry Ezra but you have quoted a verse but not what it means so let me enlighten you. The word preaching in this verse means the gospel. It is a proclamation of the gospel. In the New Testament church as you will see in Acts 2 that they did not proclaim the gospel when they met together. They concerned themselves with the apostles teaching.

In Acts 2 v 42 it says they continued in the apostle's DOCTRINE, not apostle's PREACHING. The word for doctrine is Didache. The word for preaching is kerugma so doctrine and preaching cannot be the same word or mean the same thing. In fact, the NTC met for fellowship amongst believers, not unbelievers so they would have no reason to preach the gospel as everyone present would know it.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, immediately after Pentecost they met daily…

At the Temple. That’s a FACT! (Acts 2:46).

How long did that last? They shared all things in common (in Jerusalem only) and their Communism failed in spectacular fashion and became a burden for the rest of the Church. (2 Cor. 8). Such actions as Communal Communism were never commanded by God, nor were they seen as prescriptive for the rest of the Church. They met “daily” at the Temple, yet there is no indication how long they did it for. (It wasn’t long before you would be arrested for being a Christian after that).

This records what they did, not what God established or commanded. The fact that they met “daily” in the Temple was an observation of fact, not a prescription for the Church. It was an organic Movement where people wanted to be together/ not prescribed to be at Church every day. How I wish that we were all so excited that nothing could keep us apart… DAILY! God, nor the example of Scripture makes it a command or normative.

If this is what you believe is normative or commanded from God, by all means! Go to your local Temple and meet up with other Christians on a daily basis!

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Yes, immediately after Pentecost they met daily…

At the Temple. That’s a FACT! (Acts 2:46).

How long did that last? They shared all things in common (in Jerusalem only) and their Communism failed in spectacular fashion and became a burden for the rest of the Church. (2 Cor. 8). Such actions as Communal Communism were never commanded by God, nor were they seen as prescriptive for the rest of the Church. They met “daily” at the Temple, yet there is no indication how long they did it for. (It wasn’t long before you would be arrested for being a Christian after that).

This records what they did, not what God established or commanded. The fact that they met “daily” in the Temple was an observation of fact, not a prescription for the Church. It was an organic Movement where people wanted to be together/ not prescribed to be at Church every day. How I wish that we were all so excited that nothing could keep us apart… DAILY! God, nor the example of Scripture makes it a command or normative.

If this is what you believe is normative or commanded from God, by all means! Go to your local Temple and meet up with other Christians on a daily basis!

In the New Testament Church, they met every day. Yes, immediately after Pentecost they met daily…At the Temple. That’s a FACT! (Acts 2:46).

And it is also a fact they met from house to house. Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart.....

How long did that last? They shared all things in common (in Jerusalem only) and their Communism failed in spectacular fashion and became a burden for the rest of the Church. (2 Cor. 8).

If that is communal communism that is the longest bow I have ever seen.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable etc....We don't pick and choose what fits our theology. If it is there, it is there for a purpose. We don't say "Oh well, God didn't institute that so we can ignore it. We will do things our way."How do you know doing things your way is what God wants, especially if it is not in scripture?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable etc....We don't pick and choose what fits our theology.
In the New Testament Church, they met every day. Yes, immediately after Pentecost they met daily…At the Temple. That’s a FACT! (Acts 2:46).

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable etc....We don't pick and choose what fits our theology.

That's why when you have no idea if it was commanded, or if it was continued beyond that statement in time, that you would form a theology around it or dismiss all recorded Christian history to the contrary-- is not being "Biblical", but assumptive. The facts are not ignored in the least. Every example is not prescription, and it is utter nonsense to demand that every Christian must meet at the Temple daily because the Jewish converts in Jerusalem did so immediately after Pentecost.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's why when you have no idea if it was commanded, or if it was continued beyond that statement in time, that you would form a theology around it or dismiss all recorded Christian history to the contrary-- is not being "Biblical", but assumptive. The facts are not ignored in the least. Every example is not prescription, and it is utter nonsense to demand that every Christian must meet at the Temple daily because the Jewish converts in Jerusalem did so immediately after Pentecost.

I have never demanded that converts meet daily in the temple. You are like so many others who take one example or one verse and make a doctrine out of it which is a no, no. My comments are based on a two-year study for a Ph.D. where I read besides scripture, over 60 books on the subject.