More help answering another question...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bihzor

May 2, 2012
Have you ever been asked something so dumb (for lack of a better term; not trying to be unkind) that you weren't sure how to respond?
There's a lady that works in the same building that I do, and since she's found out that I'm a Christian, she makes an effort to socialize with me - we've eaten lunch together a few times, etc., etc...
But anyway, back to this lady at work. I would call her nominally Christian. She has little to no knowledge of the Bible, Christianity, Jesus, etc. I think this comes from a combination of her being from the so-called "Bible Belt" and not really having much education.
But she's a sweet lady and I don't mind giving her the time and attention she seems to want from me.
This evening after I left work, I got a text from her that said, "i meant to ask you today why dont we follow judaism being they are chosen," which she immediately followed with "you know follow the religion with them being the chosen people israel."
I told her I'd email her about it later, because it's way too long for a text, but I just can't even think what to say to her!
Thanks - you guys are the best!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't really think you need to go any further than the book of Romans - Romans 9 in particular comes to mind.

Romans 9:30-32
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bihzor said:
Have you ever been asked something so dumb (for lack of a better term; not trying to be unkind) that you weren't sure how to respond?
There's a lady that works in the same building that I do, and since she's found out that I'm a Christian, she makes an effort to socialize with me - we've eaten lunch together a few times, etc., etc...
But anyway, back to this lady at work. I would call her nominally Christian. She has little to no knowledge of the Bible, Christianity, Jesus, etc. I think this comes from a combination of her being from the so-called "Bible Belt" and not really having much education.
But she's a sweet lady and I don't mind giving her the time and attention she seems to want from me.
This evening after I left work, I got a text from her that said, "i meant to ask you today why dont we follow judaism being they are chosen," which she immediately followed with "you know follow the religion with them being the chosen people israel."
I told her I'd email her about it later, because it's way too long for a text, but I just can't even think what to say to her!
I would suggest that you ask her what exactly she thinks the nation of Israel was chosen "for"? Many Christians mistakenly think Israel was chosen to be
that nation whom God would save. The truth is Israel was chosen to be that nation through whom God would save all men, Jew and Gentile, who put their faith in the person and work of Jesus. "All Israel" does not mean all the physical descendants of Abraham, but rather all the physical descendants of Abraham who are counted righteous by faith, and that includes some number of Jews from every generation from the beginning of time till the end of time at the 2nd coming of Jesus.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Since she is a nominal Christian. I would tell her that the Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died on the cross for our sins and that he rose again and intercedes to the Father on our behalf. Therefore, their sins remain...

Reactions: Enquirer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
Since she is a nominal Christian. I would tell her that the Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that he died on the cross for our sins and that he rose again and intercedes to the Father on our behalf. Therefore, their sins remain...
But while that is true of the majority of the Jews it is not true of all the Jews. There is a remnant of Jews who believe in Jesus and are saved. They are part of the church, the body of Christ. In fact, it is that believing remnant that God counts as Israel, not the majority who have rejected God's Messiah in favor of one of their own interpretation.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Pilgrimer said:
But while that is true of the majority of the Jews it is not true of all the Jews. There is a remnant of Jews who believe in Jesus and are saved. They are part of the church, the body of Christ. In fact, it is that believing remnant that God counts as Israel, not the majority who have rejected God's Messiah in favor of one of their own interpretation.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Although this is true...bihzor stated that she has little or no knowledge of the bible. With that in mind, my thoughts were to make it simple rather than launching into a historical background of the Hebrew people tracing back thousands of years.....

It is my impression that she is like a new believer and relatively naive, as such...I would keep it simple... :) JMHO

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina said:
Although this is true...bihzor stated that she has little or no knowledge of the bible. With that in mind, my thoughts were to make it simple rather than launching into a historical background of the Hebrew people tracing back thousands of years.....

It is my impression that she is like a new believer and relatively naive, as such...I would keep it simple... :) JMHO
I understand and appreciate your point, and perhaps bihzor could try that simple answer and let us know how it goes. But I believe the inevitable response will be, "but ... the Jews are the chosen people." So I don't think such a simplistic answer as "the Jews are lost" will clear anything up for her. I'm sure she already knows the majority of the Jewish people don't accept Jesus as the Messiah.

And allow me to caution everyone against jumping to conclusions about people. The Gospel doesn't require a M.Div degree to understand it, and assuming we must water down the truth for those who are ... less educated ... is just a tad bit arrogant. The question she posed is not simple, it has tripped up some of the most educated people in Christendom. So the question itself shows she has given some thought to a rather complex issue. So let's give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she is capable of understanding a more complex answer ... even if she is "from the Bible Belt."

A Bible Belt Believer in Christ,
Pilgrimer

Theodore A. Jones

Aug 15, 2011
HammerStone said:
I don't really think you need to go any further than the book of Romans - Romans 9 in particular comes to mind.

Romans 9:30-32
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.
I think your response to the OP's question reveals the crux of the OP's issue. Paul's argument in Romans cannot be understood if it assumed that the word law is always referencing the Sinai code and ceremonial laws. "For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 Paul is not referencing the Sinai code nor ceremonial OT law in this statement. He is referencing the fact that the law was changed by and after the Lord's crucifixion, and ascension. Heb. 7:12 The 'stumbling stone' he referrers to is the fact that the law was changed by adding a word to it. Note Acts 7:53, Rom. 5:20, & Gal. 3:19 relative to Heb. 7:12. The OP's author has expressed a great amount of condescension toward his/her questioner BTW, but probably understands less than the questioner.
Pilgrimer said:
I understand and appreciate your point, and perhaps bihzor could try that simple answer and let us know how it goes. But I believe the inevitable response will be, "but ... the Jews are the chosen people." So I don't think such a simplistic answer as "the Jews are lost" will clear anything up for her. I'm sure she already knows the majority of the Jewish people don't accept Jesus as the Messiah.

And allow me to caution everyone against jumping to conclusions about people. The Gospel doesn't require a M.Div degree to understand it, and assuming we must water down the truth for those who are ... less educated ... is just a tad bit arrogant. The question she posed is not simple, it has tripped up some of the most educated people in Christendom. So the question itself shows she has given some thought to a rather complex issue. So let's give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she is capable of understanding a more complex answer ... even if she is "from the Bible Belt."

A Bible Belt Believer in Christ,
Pilgrimer
That it is true that very few actually find the gate into God's kingdom does not lend much credibility that "from the Bible belt" is of any advantage.

Tex

Jun 29, 2014
I would go to Acts 15. The council of Jerusalem discussed what parts of the old Jewish religion is contained in the New Covenant. They came up with 3(4) things. Tell her it's not a bad question and they discussed it during biblical times.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
bihzor said:
<< "i meant to ask you today why dont we follow judaism being they are chosen," which she immediately followed with "you know follow the religion with them being the chosen people israel.">>

It was the descendants of Abraham who are the chosen people and Abraham was declared righteous because he believed God.

Gentile Christians are of the same faith as Abraham; we believe God and it is credited to us as righteousness.

We ARE God's chosen people having the same faith as Abraham.

We don't follow Judaism because the Law of Moses was given specifically to the Jews for the specific purpose of teaching them that no one can be righteous by keeping laws and rules and regulations. It can't be done because EVERYONE, without exceptions, violates the laws, rules, regs. It is not possible for anyone to live a perfect life. That is what the law was designed to teach us.

What we have to do is trust God's mercy rather than our ability to keep 613 different laws.

Judaism is the religion defined by the Old Covenant (testament). It was given only to the Jews.

Gentiles are under the New Covenant established by Jesus death and resurrection. The Law still tells us what is right and wrong, but knowing that we can't keep every one of them every day of our entire life, God provided a sacrifice for all people for all time to take away the sin of the world.

I hope that wasn't confusing......