More Than Conquerors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 1-8-23 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 15 5783 19th.Winter Day

Today's Devotional

Read: Romans 8:31–39 | Bible in a Year: Genesis 20–22; Matthew 6:19–34

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. Romans 8:37

When my husband coached our son’s Little League baseball team, he rewarded the players with an end-of-year party and acknowledged their improvement over the season. One of our youngest players, Dustin, approached me during the event. “Didn’t we lose the game today?”
“Yes,” I said. “But we’re proud of you for doing your best.”
“I know,” he said. “But we lost. Right?”
I nodded.

“Then why do I feel like a winner?” Dustin asked.
Smiling, I said, “Because you are a winner.”

Dustin had thought that losing a game meant he was a failure even when he’d done his best. As believers in Jesus, our battle is not confined to a sports field. Still, it’s often tempting to view a tough season of life as a reflection of our worth.

The apostle Paul affirmed the connection between our present suffering and our future glory as God’s children. Having given Himself for us, Jesus continues to work on our behalf during our ongoing battle with sin and transforms us to His likeness (Romans 8:31–32). Though we’ll all experience hardship and persecution, God’s unwavering love helps us persevere (vv. 33–34).

As His children, we may be tempted to allow struggles to define our worth. However, our ultimate victory is guaranteed. We may stumble along the way, but we’ll always be “more than conquerors” (vv. 35–39).
When has your confidence in God’s love helped you press on? How has He affirmed your value as His beloved child even after a great loss?
Father, thank You for helping me rise up through trials in victorious praise.

INSIGHT

Before His suffering and death, Jesus both warned and assured His followers, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). Later, Paul and Barnabas encouraged believers “to remain true to the faith” in the hardships they’d face (Acts 14:22). And Paul sent Timothy to strengthen the Thessalonians so they wouldn’t be unsettled by the trials they were “destined for” (1 Thessalonians 3:2–3).

Jesus clearly stated that as His followers we would—like Him—be persecuted (John 15:20). Commentator Walter Elwell states: “Affliction is characteristic of life in a spoiled creation, but it is a means of discipline that can lead to obedience to God. . . . The afflictions experienced by Christians ‘will result in God’s richest blessing . . . forever and ever’ (2 Corinthians 4:16–18 lb).” We’re “more than conquerors through [Christ]”! (Romans 8:37).

By Xochitl Dixon|January 8th, 2023

Suffering And Hope Romans Eight:31-39

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: Nancy