Mormonism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The video is staged to highlight accurate, but a sensationalized version of what Mormons believe. It is propaganda.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I'm disappointed in this thread. I was hoping to learn more about what Mormons actually believe.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm disappointed in this thread. I was hoping to learn more about what Mormons actually believe.

Ask a specific question and I will do my best to answer it.

By-the-way, Joseph Smith was murdered in jail before Brigham Young lead the church to Utah.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Ask a specific question and I will do my best to answer it.

By-the-way, Joseph Smith was murdered in jail before Brigham Young lead the church to Utah.
Oh gee, where to start. Perhaps you can correct any misconceptions I have. It's my understanding that Mormons believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh gee, where to start. Perhaps you can correct any misconceptions I have. It's my understanding that Mormons believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers.

It is true. Mormons believe that all angels, demons, and people are brothers and sisters - children of a Mother and a Father god of this world. Jesus is the oldest brother. Mother and Father god are made of flesh and bone - they have bodies. When the Mother god gave birth to all of us - we were only spirits. So there was a dilemma, how to get us bodies. Brother Lucifer came up with one plan (I cannot remember what it was, but it was glorifying Lucifer instead of Father God), but it was rejected - and Lucifer and his brothers and sisters were kicked out of Heaven without bodies because they insisted on Lucifer's plan. Then Jesus presented his plan, which is what is happening now. We were born into bodies and are encouraged to have lots of children in order to provide our spirit brothers and sisters with bodies.

One of the ramifications of this is that Adam and Eve were supposed to eat the fruit so they could start having children. So - like an abusive parent, God told them not to eat, secretly hoped they would, and then punished them for doing so.

Hope that helps.

Also - this website has some great audio theology / church history / and information on a variety of cults, including Mormonism: http://www.brucegore.com/

I will also continue to answer questions if you are interested.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
It is true. Mormons believe that all angels, demons, and people are brothers and sisters - children of a Mother and a Father god of this world. Jesus is the oldest brother. Mother and Father god are made of flesh and bone - they have bodies. When the Mother god gave birth to all of us - we were only spirits. So there was a dilemma, how to get us bodies. Brother Lucifer came up with one plan (I cannot remember what it was, but it was glorifying Lucifer instead of Father God), but it was rejected - and Lucifer and his brothers and sisters were kicked out of Heaven without bodies because they insisted on Lucifer's plan. Then Jesus presented his plan, which is what is happening now. We were born into bodies and are encouraged to have lots of children in order to provide our spirit brothers and sisters with bodies.

One of the ramifications of this is that Adam and Eve were supposed to eat the fruit so they could start having children. So - like an abusive parent, God told them not to eat, secretly hoped they would, and then punished them for doing so.

Hope that helps.

Also - this website has some great audio theology / church history / and information on a variety of cults, including Mormonism: http://www.brucegore.com/

I will also continue to answer questions if you are interested.
Very interesting Aspen. I'll have more questions for you as I think of them. Do you know how many professing Mormons there are?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Very interesting Aspen. I'll have more questions for you as I think of them. Do you know how many professing Mormons there are?

I do. This is an interesting area of Mormonism too. The LDS church has been very vocal about being the fastest growing "christian" church on the planet - well, they are right, sort of. Most Christian churches are in decline (not including Emergent and Assemblies of God churches), but the LDS church has thousands of people joining everyday, across the world. What the church doesn't advertise is that they have the worst rate of holding onto new members, compared to all Protestant/Catholic churches. In fact, since 1985, their membership has fluxed between 10-12 million members, worldwide.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I do. This is an interesting area of Mormonism too. The LDS church has been very vocal about being the fastest growing "christian" church on the planet - well, they are right, sort of. Most Christian churches are in decline (not including Emergent and Assemblies of God churches), but the LDS church has thousands of people joining everyday, across the world. What the church doesn't advertise is that they have the worst rate of holding onto new members, compared to all Protestant/Catholic churches. In fact, since 1985, their membership has fluxed between 10-12 million members, worldwide.
Almost sounds like they are making it a competition with Catholics.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Almost sounds like they are making it a competition with Catholics.

Mormons are competitive - have you been to Utah? Every neighbor is in competition for the best image of the modern American family. Utah also has one of the highest rates of bankruptcy in the country. Also, dishonest people have traditionally taken advantaged of Mormons because members are taught to trust their feelings - "I have a testimony that I should buy that ocean front property in Kansas! It is a burning in my bosom from the Lord!". It is no surprise that Utah has the highest fraud in the country, as well.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010

-- If you actually want to learn more about Mormonism, not just the surface, I would recommend any of these podcasts.

http://server.firefighters.org/fernandes/36795.mp3

http://server.firefighters.org/fernandes/36797.mp3

http://server.firefighters.org/fernandes/36796.mp3

It covers the actual beliefs of Mormons as well as why those beliefs are wrong.
It also does the same for Jehovah's Witnesses and even for incorrect Catholic teachings.

The web site is actually a font of knowledge:

http://apologetics315.blogspot.com/2008/03/ultimate-apologetics-mp3-audio-page.html

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Thanks Foreigner. I'm sure there is an ocean of info in the internet. I just don't want to spend much time finding out what is accurate. How about eternal punishment/ Hell, Aspen.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Foreigner. I'm sure there is an ocean of info in the internet. I just don't want to spend much time finding out what is accurate. How about eternal punishment/ Hell, Aspen.

Hi Ducky - I read another one of your posts on the denial of hell and decided to address this issue there:

http://www.christian..._60#entry113772

However, I should add that Mormons believe in multiple Heavens - anywhere from three to seven depending the Mormon you talk to. Since Mormons claim to have a living prophet - their doctrine changes quite a bit and prophets have contradicted each other over the years so it is often difficult to nail down specific beliefs and doctrine.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
However, I should add that Mormons believe in multiple Heavens - anywhere from three to seven depending the Mormon you talk to. Since Mormons claim to have a living prophet - their doctrine changes quite a bit and prophets have contradicted each other over the years so it is often difficult to nail down specific beliefs and doctrine.
No wonder it's confusing.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No wonder it's confusing.

It really can be!

Joseph Smith was actually closer to orthodoxy than the LDS church is today. He believed in the Trinity and never got into Father/Mother god doctrines or the idea (now denied by LDS) that God was once Adam.

All the weirdest Mormon beliefs came from their second prophet Brigham Young (great great grandfather of former 49er quaterback, Steve Young, BTW).

After Smith was murderer in jail, he wife Emma (who denied the doctrine of polygamy - small wonder) took her son and a few followers and split from the Brigham Young Mormons. The BY Mormons left for Utah and Emma, believing her son to be the true prophet remained in MO - they became the Restored Church of Latter Day Saints (RLDS) and are now known as The Community of Christ and are considered by many as a eclectic denomination of Protestantism rather than a cult because they believe in the Trinity and (although they have a prophet) reject new revelation.