Must we abandon feelings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Must we? Negative feelings frustrate us, make us lose faith, whereas positive feelings could deceive us with false promises.

So must we abandon feelings and rely only on the intellect?

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Mercy no....We have choices..we can choose to live in the happiness, peace and love that Jesus gives us...or we can choose to live in the dark, negative, depressing feelings the enemy loves us to have...If you abondon your feelings then you can not feel life, or experince life in the way God desires...intellect without heart leaves one almost robotic...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thoughts, feelings, and will are all subject to the Fall and redeemed by Christ.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God molds us in having genuine feelings as we learn to make decisions based on His Word.

dougishere

Jan 12, 2012
Illinois
I've heard it this way by people who say don't put your trust in feelings, which I agree with: the presence of good or bad emotions are neither good nor bad. But what's good is to rejoice in the Lord, which is greater than emotions. Joy is not a feeling but a inner fruit of the Spirit. So is peace. Emotions are fickle, they can be good to you, but they can be nasty too.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard it this way by people who say don't put your trust in feelings, which I agree with: the presence of good or bad emotions are neither good nor bad. But what's good is to rejoice in the Lord, which is greater than emotions. Joy is not a feeling but a inner fruit of the Spirit. So is peace. Emotions are fickle, they can be good to you, but they can be nasty too.

I think our thoughts and emotions and will all need to be sanctified, which often requires discipline from the Lord - without God, all thoughts, emotions, and will remain slaves to the false self and spiral down into hedonism and despair.

dougishere

Jan 12, 2012
Illinois
What about people with mental disorders, like bipolar, schizophrenia, and personality disorders? There is a mass of society inheriting illnesses that impair, that no exorcist could deal with, because a devil isn't the reason why the person is sick (it's a physical disorder of the brain), or the biggest faith and love for the LORD would guarantee the cure (sometimes people suffer. And it won't change. Consider efforts to end poverty). The mentally ill people can't control their emotions. Christian abiding or not. Medicine helps. But their lot is to suffer, as terrible as that may sound. Meet me, Doug. I suffer from bipolar. God knows how I've prayed in faith of Jesus Christ to bring deliverance, but like Paul's thorn, it won't go away.
So there is emotional suffering. Emotions are not what God looks at, but the fruit of the Spirit, which is spiritual, not fleshly like emotions.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about people with mental disorders, like bipolar, schizophrenia, and personality disorders? There is a mass of society inheriting illnesses that impair, that no exorcist could deal with, because a devil isn't the reason why the person is sick (it's a physical disorder of the brain), or the biggest faith and love for the LORD would guarantee the cure (sometimes people suffer. And it won't change. Consider efforts to end poverty). The mentally ill people can't control their emotions. Christian abiding or not. Medicine helps. But their lot is to suffer, as terrible as that may sound. Meet me, Doug. I suffer from bipolar. God knows how I've prayed in faith of Jesus Christ to bring deliverance, but like Paul's thorn, it won't go away.
So there is emotional suffering. Emotions are not what God looks at, but the fruit of the Spirit, which is spiritual, not fleshly like emotions.

Great point Doug. Nice to meet you and thanks for posting here.

dougishere

Jan 12, 2012
Illinois
It's good to make your acquaintence, Aspen. This forum is pretty nice. It seems like there's a sense of maturity that a former forum didn't have. I gotta figure out my profile a little more!
Doug

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's good to make your acquaintence, Aspen. This forum is pretty nice. It seems like there's a sense of maturity that a former forum didn't have. I gotta figure out my profile a little more!
Doug

We can get off track sometimes, but I think most of us respond to correction - I really enjoy this board.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Emotion is to be secondary to reason. By definition, judgment is an intellectual process, and we are to judge for ourselves if God is faithful.

Our emotions are a reaction to God working in our lives, but we are never entreated in scripture to believe God according to our emotion... we are often called to reason and discernment.

But those who allow themselves to be ruled by their emotion will cry foul rather than test this spirit the way the Bereans did.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people feel before they think - others think before they feel - both ways can be normal or disordered depending on the person.

It is tempting to compartmentalize thought, feeling and will, but it is just as futile as trying to separate the divine from the man within Jesus.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

Good post, and might I add that Joy and Peace cause good feelings and/or emotions, and that bad emotions are bad. :)

Very nice post Doug, you make some very good points too. Faith is a tricky thing for many believe it to be a self inherent tool in which man can manipulate God into doing the supernatural for them. But Faith is a gift from God and I think it's primary function is to bring about our trust in Him

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Emotion is to be secondary to reason. By definition, judgment is an intellectual process, and we are to judge for ourselves if God is faithful.

But those who allow themselves to be ruled by their emotion will cry foul rather than test this spirit the way the Bereans did.

This

Some people feel before they think - others think before they feel - both ways can be normal or disordered depending on the person.

And, This.

It's been a known fact that some people think according to emotion, applying, subjectional reasoning. They make decisions according to how they feel. (Like a poker player, "I'm feeling lucky, I'm going to chase this draw") When the cards don't do what they felt they would, the subjectional will feel great disapointment and proclaim, "I never get lucky!"

Other's apply objective reasoning. They make decisions according to facts that are presented. (Like a poker player, "I'm getting the correct odds. I'm going to chase this draw") If the cards don't do what might be expected, the objectional will think, "Yep, I'm supposed to miss 3 out of 4 times. I made the right decision and will come out ahead in the long run."

Emotional thinkers, or Fact thinkers, it doesn't matter. Neither is wrong, although, I do believe the emotional will have a harder time in some areas.

Although, many can't understand the mind, and as stated, "compartmentalizing" of an objective thinker. We do have emotions, and some run very strong and very deep, however, we don't allow our decisions and actions to be based on how we feel.