My God, my God, why have you FORSAKEN me?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Judas betrayed Jesus. Peter denied him. The disciples forsook him. The wicked people spit on him, punched him, flogged him, mocked him, crowned him with sharp thorns, and finally nailed him to the cross. Jesus didn't complain about any of these to the Father.

Matthew 27:

46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).
That was the most painful moment of Jesus' life. As humans, we can't appreciate the depth of this pain. The Father and the Son/Word had been together for all eternity. There is a connection, a spiritual communion between the Father and Son. At this point, this connection was temporarily severed/forsaken for the first and only time. Jesus raised a rhetorical question because he experienced the cut/separation all humans experience when sinning. Without this separation, it was impossible for Jesus to die (Romans 6:23) physically. Sin cannot be imposed upon the divine nature of Christ. After this separation, he took on our sins and died for our sins. Jesus died; his divine nature did not.

Jesus alluded to Psalm 22:

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?
Jesus felt forsaken and the separation. That was the temporal moment for the transaction of the divine exchange, 2 Corinthians 5:

21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Heb 9:

28b Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.
Soon after Jesus experienced this separation, Matthew continues:

50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
Did Jesus' divine nature leave his human nature on the cross?

I think so. For Jesus to take on sin, the Holy Spirit (the deity) disconnected from Jesus' human spirit when he made the first cry. When he made the second cry, his human spirit left his physical body to die. But then, immediately, his human spirit rejoin the deity Holy Spirit. I speculate that Jesus' deity left him between the 1st and the 2nd cry.

Sin cannot be imposed upon the divine nature of Christ. Without carrying sin, Jesus could not have died physically. In terms of spiritual mechanics, that was how the God/Man died. God did not die. The divine nature of Jesus did not die. Jesus took up our sins and died.

How would this affect the redemption of humankind?

After the 2nd cry,

51 behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.
Jesus was the first man who had the Holy Spirit dwelling in him. Jesus didn't just die: He yielded up his spirit. By doing so, the separation between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place was torn down. After Jesus' resurrection and ascension, he sent the Paraclete Indwelling Spirit to connect with our human spirit to God permanently. The indwelling Spirit was released if and only if Jesus died.

What happened to the condition of Jesus' body?

Paul spoke in (NIV) Acts 13:

35 So it is also stated elsewhere:“ ‘You will not let your holy one see decay.’
36“Now when David had served God’s purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his ancestors and his body decayed. 37But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay."
Jesus' body was sinless. It did not decay.

See also From the sixth hour there was DARKNESS over all the land until the ninth hour.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There is a connection, a spiritual communion between the Father and Son. At this point, this connection was temporarily severed/forsaken for the first and only time.
Speaking of spiritual connections being severed, when Adam sinned by eating the fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil it brought about a severing which resulted in all mankind being made sinners, but Christ has reversed the curse of sin.

Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous.

Reactions: TonyChanYT