MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While on the Isle of Patmos, God allowed John to look into the future. And he saw something with "great admiration" as recorded In Revelation 17:6. God allowed John to see the Great Whore, the Spiritual Mother of Harlots. John's wonder was NOT coming from the standpoint of desire, but rather of showing intense shock or surprise joined with indignation at her.

Let's take a look as this scene unfolds...

Revelation 17:1 And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

[2] With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

[3] So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

[4] And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

[5] And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

*Revelation 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.

[7] And the angel said unto me, Wherefore didst thou marvel? I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which hath the seven heads and ten horns.

[8] The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

*Revelation 17:9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

Rome is known to be built upon seven hills. Rome was said to have been founded when Romulus and Remus, twin sons of Mars, ended up at the foot of the hill Palatine and founded the city. The other six hills are Capitoline (the seat of government), Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, and Aventine.

History records that a Roman Emperor named Constantine was very instrumental in setting up the First General Council of Churches in 325 A.D., known as the Council of Nicaea. The Church of Rome became the Official Church of the Roman empire with Constantine as its head. This "universal" church with its man made doctrine was established so that EVERY subject of the Empire would belong to the Official Church of Rome.

The THREE PERSON DOCTRINE which later evolved and was very clearly defined as such, was purely an orchestrated effort by Constantine designed to appease both the MONOTHEISTS (One God Christians) and the POLYTHEISTS (Multiple god pagans). From a strictly political standpoint, I guess you might say it was a brilliant move. Constantine stopped the persecution of Christians for a while so I don't guess he was all bad. However, the Roman Emperors were responsible for killing and torturing people (Christians) much like that of Hitler's Nazi death camps. The True Church was literally driven underground. As a matter of fact, the May 1976 revised edition of Halley's Bible Handbook reports on pages 761-763 "...the church was regarded as a secret society..."; "...Christians were hunted in cave and forest; they were burned, thrown to wild beasts, put to death by every torture cruelty could devise." "Christian graves are variously estimated at between 2,000,000 and 7,000,000." Papal Persecutions against Protestants in later centuries far out numbered the Early Christian Martyrs under Pagan Rome.

History also proves that the truth about one God was universally preached by the New Testament Church for many years after Christ, until the development of the "trinity" doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church.

Encyclopedia International, 1975 Edition, Vol.18, p.226 - The doctrine of the "Trinity" did not form part of the apostles’ preaching, as this is reported in the New Testament.

New Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967 Edition, Vol.13, p.1021 - The first use of the Latin word "trinitas" (trinity) with reference to God, is found in Tertullian’s writings (about 213 A.D.) He was the first to use the term "persons" (plural) in a Trinitarian context.

Encyclopedia Americana, 1957 Edition, Vol.27, p.69 - The word "Trinity" is not in Scripture. The term "persons" (plural) is not applied in Scripture to the Trinity.

World Book Encyclopedia, 1975 Edition, Vol. T, p.363 - Belief in Father, Son and Holy Ghost was first defined by the earliest general council of churches. This was the First Council of Nicaea in 325 A.D.

New International Encyclopedia, Vol.22, p.476 - The Catholic faith is this: We worship one God in Trinity, but there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son and another of the Holy Ghost. The Glory equal - the Majesty co-eternal. The doctrine is not found in its fully developed form in the Scriptures. Modern theology does not seek to find it in the Old Testament. At the time of the Reformation the Protestant Church took aver the doctrine of the Trinity without serious examination.

Life Magazine, October 30, 1950, Vol.29, No.18, p.51 - The Catholics made this statement concerning their doctrine of the Trinity, to defend the dogma of the assumption of Mary, in an article written by Graham Greene: "Our opponents sometimes claim that no belief should be held dogmatically which is not explicitly stated in Scripture... But the PROTESTANT CHURCHES have themselves accepted such dogmas as THE TRINITY, for which there is NO SUCH PRECISE AUTHORITY in the Gospels"

It isn't hard to PROVE where the this doctrine originated, when it originated and by whom it originated. Even though most will insist that it came straight from the Bible. Since the Bible does NOT give any SPECIFIC authority for such a belief, MILLIONS are told it is a "MYSTERY" which they must accept by faith, because it cannot be explained or understood.

Interestingly enough the word "Mystery" is the name of the Mother Of Harlots...

Revelation 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

The question becomes: What is the true church, and what should we be looking for?

The Five-Fold Ministry
Ephesians Chapter 4 (KJV)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

The Fruit of the Spirit
Galatians Chapter 5 (KJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The Gifts of the Spirit
1 Corinthians Chapter 12 (KJV)
4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

1 Corinthians 12:28 (KJV)
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

We see that God is the One who placed the above in His Church. And we’re even told why He did. However, not everyone believes that. But, I've never met anyone who doesn't believe it who can provide Scripture(s) for when, where OR why God removes any of it from His Church. Granted, the churches of the wide gate and broad way do NOT embrace all of the above. However, the one true Church that Jesus established (the strait gate and narrow way) certainly does. Actually, the above documentation can be used as a litmus test while evaluating the beliefs of the thousands of different denominations and religious organizations in existence, today. And, in addition to that, another VERY good (and very quick) test is to determine whether they embrace the Apostles One God Monotheistic Doctrine, OR “pluralistic monotheism”, that evolved out of (and traced back to) the First General Council of Churches (the Council of Nicaea) in 325 A.D. Pluralistic monotheism is a dogmatically held "theory" that is embraced by ALL of the organized (orthodox) denominations and religious organizations, today (including both Catholics and Protestants).

Thanks, and God bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While on the Isle of Patmos, God allowed John to look into the future. And he saw something with "great admiration" as recorded In Revelation 17:6. God allowed John to see the Great Whore, the Spiritual Mother of Harlots. John's wonder was NOT coming from the standpoint of desire, but rather of showing intense shock or surprise joined with indignation at her.

Let's take a look as this scene unfolds...

Rome is known to be built upon seven hills. Rome was said to have been founded when Romulus and Remus, twin sons of Mars, ended up at the foot of the hill Palatine and founded the city. The other six hills are Capitoline (the seat of government), Quirinal, Viminal, Esquiline, Caelian, and Aventine.

It's not about Rome.

It's about Jerusalem for the end. That is where the Book of Revelation is pointing to about the harlot, a symbolic woman.

Rev 11:7-8
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

KJV

Where was our Lord Jesus crucified???

Jerusalem.

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
It's not about Rome.

It's about Jerusalem for the end. That is where the Book of Revelation is pointing to about the harlot, a symbolic woman.

Rev 11:7-8
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

KJV

Where was our Lord Jesus crucified???

Jerusalem.

Guess where God calls "his people"out of in the end?
His people.

Revelation 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, My people, so that you will not share in her sins or contract any of her plagues.

Its not the nations.
One thing ive learned that sets Babylon apart from,all other peoples.It is the only city and its people who are seen being punished in revelation for worshiping the beast and its image.And God calls his chosen out of her so that they will not commit her sins.

If youve understood who the whore is,you should be able to fiqure out who the beast is she worships and those who(called out) overcome the beast.Like you said,its about Jerusalem.

Last edited:

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks, and God bless!
Your rant, loaded with factual errors and false histories, is typical of cults like the Seventh Day Adventists, or the Christadelphians, anti-Protestant and anti-Catholic. Come out of the shadows and identify who it is you are following. You say the church was driven underground due to persecution, and that's true. Your problem is, for a period of 3 centuries, you can't name one martyr (outside of the Bible) in your false version of the early church. The OP has no credibility. None of you guys recognize the fact that the first 39 (+1) popes were killed by pagan Rome, and mix match pagan Rome with Christian Rome as it suits you.

Some anti-Catholics claim the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon of Revelation 17 and 18. Dave Hunt, in his 1994 book, A Woman Rides the Beast, presents nine arguments to try to prove this. His claims are a useful summary of those commonly used by Fundamentalists, and an examination of them shows why they don’t work.​
Hunting the Whore of Babylon

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess where God calls "his people"out of in the end?
His people.

Revelation 18:4 Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, My people, so that you will not share in her sins or contract any of her plagues.

Its not the nations.
One thing ive learned that sets Babylon apart from,all other peoples.It is the only city and its people who are seen being punished in revelation for worshiping the beast and its image.And God calls his chosen out of her so that they will not commit her sins.

If youve understood who the whore is,you should be able to fiqure out who the beast is she worships and those who(called out) overcome the beast.Like you said,its about Jerusalem.

Many are confused about the Revelation symbol of the Babylon harlot woman, and the idea of beasts. I am not. Most are lacking in a simple Bible study of Ezekiel 16 and Lamentations. And even fewer understand the meaning behind the harlot's statement in Rev.18 saying she is no widow, and sits a queen.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your rant, loaded with factual errors and false histories, is typical of cults like the Seventh Day Adventists, or the Christadelphians, anti-Protestant and anti-Catholic. Come out of the shadows and identify who it is you are following. You say the church was driven underground due to persecution, and that's true. Your problem is, for a period of 3 centuries, you can't name one martyr (outside of the Bible) in your false version of the early church. The OP has no credibility. None of you guys recognize the fact that the first 39 (+1) popes were killed by pagan Rome, and mix match pagan Rome with Christian Rome as it suits you.

Some anti-Catholics claim the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon of Revelation 17 and 18. Dave Hunt, in his 1994 book, A Woman Rides the Beast, presents nine arguments to try to prove this. His claims are a useful summary of those commonly used by Fundamentalists, and an examination of them shows why they don’t work.​

Wait a minute.

The idea of a pope originated in the 3rd century, not with Apostle Peter. We Protestants well know that the RCC claims a lineage of popes going all the way back to Apostle Peter, but that just isn't true. The title of 'pope' originated from pagan Romans, from the idea of Pontifex Maximus. Tertullian (3rd century A.D.) used the term in sarcasism against the then leader of the RCC. Around the 3rd century, when bishops were trying to assert their individual power, both in Rome and in Byzantine, they agreed to setup a "bishop of bishops" over them, one head. And that is where the office of the Pope originated. There is no Bible Scripture where Peter gave authority to one head over the Church.

So you guys really ought to learn a bit more about your RCC history, instead of believing whatever the RCC says.

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
Many are confused about the Revelation symbol of the Babylon harlot woman, and the idea of beasts. I am not. Most are lacking in a simple Bible study of Ezekiel 16 and Lamentations. And even fewer understand the meaning behind the harlot's statement in Rev.18 saying she is no widow, and sits a queen.

You dont seem to ackowledge those who are called out of Babylon who do not worship the beast or its image though.
Yes the whore is punished for worshiping the beast and its image, but those who are called out of her ,who do not worship the beast or its image shall reign with Christ.

Revelation 12:11 KJV: And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
God allowed John to look into the future.
ah, so you say, but this is wadr a supposition, that you are stating as fact? Eating the fruit of the tree i guess. "What must come to pass" can be taken more than one way, yes? You assume "future" as the authors surely intended for ppl to do, thus fulfilling...other Scripture in the process? Prolly?
including both Catholics and Protestants).
gotta agree there though

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You dont seem to ackowledge those who are called out of Babylon who do not worship the beast or its image though.
Yes the whore is punished for worshiping the beast and its image, but those who are called out of her ,who do not worship the beast or its image shall reign with Christ.

Revelation 12:11 KJV: And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

I don't what? I don't acknowledge those called out of Babylon??? Whatever gave you that false idea? Why do you continually make up lies with those who disagree with you?

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
I don't what? I don't acknowledge those called out of Babylon??? Whatever gave you that false idea? Why do you continually make up lies with those who disagree with you?

So you agree the Lord shall call out many in Israel to be his people as he calls them.Not cast out.

Jerusalem is in Israel and not in the nations.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you agree the Lord shall call out many in Israel to be his people as he calls them.Not cast out.

Jerusalem is in Israel and not in the nations.

You keep that 'fleshy' belief, it won't get you anywhere.

1 Peter 2:9-10
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

KJV

Wow! Peter also quoting from Hosea to Gentiles believers on Christ Jesus!

... And ... from Moses...

Ex 19:6
6 And ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

KJV

Double WOW!!! Peter applied the idea of Christ's Church as the royal priesthood that God desired of Israel from the start!!!

It is NOW fulfilled ONLY in Christ Jesus by BOTH believing Gentiles and believing Israelites, together as Christ's Church.

shilohsfoal

Dec 26, 2010
North Carolina
You keep that 'fleshy' belief, it won't get you anywhere.

1 Peter 2:9-10
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him Who hath called you out of darkness into His marvellous light:

10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

KJV

Wow! Peter also quoting from Hosea to Gentiles believers on Christ Jesus!

... And ... from Moses...

Ex 19:6
6 And ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

KJV

Double WOW!!! Peter applied the idea of Christ's Church as the royal priesthood that God desired of Israel from the start!!!

It is NOW fulfilled ONLY in Christ Jesus by BOTH believing Gentiles and believing Israelites, together as Christ's Church.

What gentile nations do you believe will,be called out of Babylon(Jerusalem)when Israrlis line up to recieve the mark of the beast?

Exactly how many gentiles do you believe will come out of Jerusalem?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For a more detailed picture of Babylon, I suggest a prayerful reading of Jeremiah 50 and 51 as well as Habbukuk.

Peace!

But you will need to have the keys to unlocking the mysteries found within those two chapters.

Shalom

PS: - There is even a reference to climate warming found in chapter 51.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Rome is known to be built upon seven hills. ...

Cincinnati has that reputation, but Rome does not. It's only the liars who have perpetuated that myth. Perhaps the seven "mountains" are SEVEN KINGS. And they are given in the Book of Daniel. Have you read the Book of Daniel?!?

Easy peasy,
Bobby Jo