Narcissism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. An exaggerated sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

2. Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

3. Believes he is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

4. Requires excessive admiration

5. Has a sense of entitlement

6. Selfishly takes advantage of others to achieve his own ends

7. Lacks empathy

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him

9. Shows arrogant, haughty, patronizing, or contemptuous behaviors or attitudes

Translation: They treat other people like objects.

The criteria for narcissistic personality disorder is antichrist - it is the condition of the unredeemed soul. The criteria for NPD is also the criteria for all citizens of Hell. There is no pill that will help people with this condition - no therapy - in fact, counselors can spot a narcissist pretty quickly in therapy because they actually get worse. The more the counselor focuses on them, the more they inflate their ego. Only Christ's redemption can save them.

Here is the scariest part - the DSM - the book of psychological disorders used for diagnosis, has removed NPD from the latest edition. The reason disorders are removed is because the behavior in question has become normalized. In other words, Western culture has become so haughty that narcissism has become common place.

We need Christ to help us overthrow the Old Man / false self - our ego; we need to experience His love for us so we can become vulnerable to love others - sympathy must turn to empathy, which must turn to love / forgiveness / unconditional love for God and neighbor. Without it we are damned.

And for all those that think love is wimpy and pathetic - you need to pray for empathy. Love is repentance - if you are loving others, you are putting them before yourself! If we were able to love like we were created to do, there would be no sin. Hippies tried to do this without God - that is why they failed.

Contempt, sarcasm, indignation, self righteousness, bragging, arrogance, exaltation of self over neighbors are traits of the damned and incompatible with love. Using these traits to preach the gospel is using the means to justify the end - it teaches those we are trying to save to hate and resent, not love.

A couple of years ago, Dennis Rader - BTK killer - was convicted of at least 9 killings over a thirty year period. During his career as a killer, he moonlighted as a Deacon at his church and a boy scout leader. I remember watching his sentencing - he was allowed to speak, in order to ask forgiveness from the families and somehow convince the judge that he was really a good guy and was simply misunderstood. As he stood up to address the court, it was obvious that he had been waiting for that moment all of his life - he was the superstar he had always knew he was! Then he proceeded to show everyone that he could really relate to his victims - he attempted to show empathy. The guy was smart and articulate, but the closest he could get to empathy was to point out activities he victims liked to engage in as hobbies - "Nancy liked to garden - I like to garden!" You might be interested in youtubing it - I believe it is a good example of how the Devil will attempt to explain himself to God at Judgement. Narcissists are incapable of love because they are incapable of the most basic foundation of love - the ability to be vulnerable.

No comments? IMO this is what we should be talking about, rather than other people's sins and how the world is going to Hell. This is the journey of our sanctification - the road from selfish to selfless.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
1. An exaggerated sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

2. Preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

3. Believes he is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

4. Requires excessive admiration

5. Has a sense of entitlement

6. Selfishly takes advantage of others to achieve his own ends

7. Lacks empathy

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him

9. Shows arrogant, haughty, patronizing, or contemptuous behaviors or attitudes

Translation: They treat other people like objects.

The criteria for narcissistic personality disorder is antichrist - it is the condition of the unredeemed soul. The criteria for NPD is also the criteria for all citizens of Hell. There is no pill that will help people with this condition - no therapy - in fact, counselors can spot a narcissist pretty quickly in therapy because they actually get worse. The more the counselor focuses on them, the more they inflate their ego. Only Christ's redemption can save them.

Here is the scariest part - the DSM - the book of psychological disorders used for diagnosis, has removed NPD from the latest edition. The reason disorders are removed is because the behavior in question has become normalized. In other words, Western culture has become so haughty that narcissism has become common place.

We need Christ to help us overthrow the Old Man / false self - our ego; we need to experience His love for us so we can become vulnerable to love others - sympathy must turn to empathy, which must turn to love / forgiveness / unconditional love for God and neighbor. Without it we are damned.

And for all those that think love is wimpy and pathetic - you need to pray for empathy. Love is repentance - if you are loving others, you are putting them before yourself! If we were able to love like we were created to do, there would be no sin. Hippies tried to do this without God - that is why they failed.

Contempt, sarcasm, indignation, self righteousness, bragging, arrogance, exaltation of self over neighbors are traits of the damned and incompatible with love. Using these traits to preach the gospel is using the means to justify the end - it teaches those we are trying to save to hate and resent, not love.

A couple of years ago, Dennis Rader - BTK killer - was convicted of at least 9 killings over a thirty year period. During his career as a killer, he moonlighted as a Deacon at his church and a boy scout leader. I remember watching his sentencing - he was allowed to speak, in order to ask forgiveness from the families and somehow convince the judge that he was really a good guy and was simply misunderstood. As he stood up to address the court, it was obvious that he had been waiting for that moment all of his life - he was the superstar he had always knew he was! Then he proceeded to show everyone that he could really relate to his victims - he attempted to show empathy. The guy was smart and articulate, but the closest he could get to empathy was to point out activities he victims liked to engage in as hobbies - "Nancy liked to garden - I like to garden!" You might be interested in youtubing it - I believe it is a good example of how the Devil will attempt to explain himself to God at Judgement. Narcissists are incapable of love because they are incapable of the most basic foundation of love - the ability to be vulnerable.

No comments? IMO this is what we should be talking about, rather than other people's sins and how the world is going to Hell. This is the journey of our sanctification - the road from selfish to selfless.
That's some scary stuff...I think I know at least one person who has alot of these characteristics who did me great harm, but I thank God for rescuing me.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a tough pill to swallow when you realize the desperate state of the Fallen condition.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
People who have all these traits usually end up making loads of money and trampling over everyone else.

I think Aspenis right about them being antichrist I reckon the devil could tick all those boxes. It was his inflated belief of self worth that acused him to attempt to usurp God which led to his fall.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the craziest part - high achieving narcissists go to wall street - they manage the corporations of the world.

The average ones often end up as clergyman. It doesn't mean all ministers are narcissists - but the position is very attractive to people who are narcissistic.

http://samvak.tripod.../journal70.html

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Here is the craziest part - high achieving narcissists go to wall street - they manage the corporations of the world.

The average ones often end up as clergyman. It doesn't mean all ministers are narcissists - but the position is very attractive to people who are narcissistic.

http://samvak.tripod.../journal70.html
I would think that the office of the President would be attractive to narcissists too

I would think that the office of the President would be attractive to narcissists too.
I liked the video, it explained alot...thanks for sharing it.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
For every person with NPD, there is a back story of tragedy. It's one thing to tick off the symptoms, its another to really see the person. It's very close to sociopathy. Can also be very similar to borderline.

In my mother, it made her a very difficult person to love. She was born again, I am convinced of that. But she was broken inside. Growing up without familial love can have different affects on different people, this was how it affected her. Her family didn't consider her important, so she had to find her own importance. Her needs remained unmet, she had to learn how to make people serve her. How many hours she was locked inside a small dark closet as a little girl, I have no idea, only that it was to a point routine. Living in the shadow of her adored younger sister, I believe this was just the tip of the iceberg.

As a child she dreamed (pathologically) of the perfect family, up til she was married at 19. After she died, we found her scrapbooks, each filled to the brim with pictures cut from magazines, all of happy families, starting in her early childhood, up until she graduated high school, and then they stopped. 3 children and 4 years later, when her husband couldn't deal with her manipulations and self centeredness, he left, and what last shreds of thoses dreams that may have remained shattered.

After the violence and craziness that followed, by the time us children grew up and went our own ways, she had settled into a more manageable lifestyle, but I don't believe she every really had intimacy with anyone. It seemed that everything she did was calculated to manipulate someone into taking care of her, or was calculated to buy someone's love.

How horrible to live craving love that you can never experience! I'd like to think that there was some that actually got through. But I don't know.

As her health was deteriorating from TIA's and cancer (often the personal price for the inner anger, bitterness, and isolation), I was still rather young in the Lord. While I did my best to serve her, it was very difficult for me to actually love her. She was still a user - using whomever was near.

But as God has continued to soften my heart, and given me greater understanding, I regret that I was not able to love her more, and not able to give more to her.

NPD can make someone very difficult to love, but it's that love - true, freely given love - that they need so desparately!

I believe there is more to it than just being unregenerate. NPD is the scar tissue that grows over deep and serious wounds. And full healing may never come in this lifetime, even for those who are redeemed.

There are certain times I've experienced what I believe to be the unmistakable voice of God in my heart, and after she had become ill, it was one of these times, "She is My beloved daughter, and you will serve her." I could only obey.

After she died, God gave me the full assurance that she was with Him. In that moment between waking and dreaming, I saw her, surrounded in cloud, beautiful! And she said to me, Mark! It's so Wonderful! OK, I know, but I believe God has received her, and healed her, and given her beauty for ashes, as He does all of His broken ones.

Love in Christ,
Mark

Peacefully_Free

Oct 23, 2013
FREE AT LAST

Hello everyone,

First and foremost I want to give GOD the Glory for giving me strength to WALK AWAY for good and directing me to this site! I am so glad I am not alone in this! For many years I was trying to figure out why me ex acts this way!? (Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde) Had no idea "He" was a Narcissist until I started researching a few days ago which I said now it all makes sense! I know I had to make a conscious decision to walk away and never turn back, it was long over due! There was a time I had the boldness to say I am walking away, a few days later he contacted me because "he" didn't take me seriously! So I decided to walk away quietly with no indication whatsoever! It was hard as heck to do because this is something I was never accustom to doing because we always found a way to connect (Not knowing "he" has always been a Narc just never knew it)! "NC" is the "KEY" to the road to recovery! I had gotten to the point enough is enough! No more abusing me in any sense of the word! God has given me the strength everyday to move on with my life! It is exhilarating to know there is such liberation and my mind is keen once again! What is so refreshing to me is Journaling. I had no idea how much it has helped me with my recovery. It has been since the first week of July that I cut off all ties period! I made all the necessary changes I needed to and gave myself the closure that I needed period! No more excuses shoulda, woulda, coulda NO I DID IT and YOU CAN DO IT TOO! I am no longer a Captive by "his" manipulation mechanisms anymore! I am still on the road to recovery and at the same time I was a "Victim" now I am a "VICTOR"!! I have been so at peace and love myself to death once again! YOU are not defined by ANYONE not ANYONE! Being that Narcs are not normal people like You and I, we MUST handle them differently! I am not going to turn into that pillar of salt anymore! Things that were once a part of my life, no longer EXISTS! When you accept thing for what thy are, it makes it that much easier to deal with! Once you Accept, the fish scales come off of your eyes and now you can see with CLARITY! Being in denial is a smoke screen to pollute our minds! Although it took many years knowing the red flags were there, I bravely said to myself, no more looking through rose colored glasses! I had to see "him" and things for what they truly were! They know when we are on to them, they flee like roaches! I use to feel sorry and apologize even when it wasn't my fault, not anymore! I am woman enough to take responsibilities for my own action which "He" never did! Going cold turkey meant no baggage of any kind! "He" is six feet under (mentally) In my mind "he" is R.I.P. with a tombstone engraved! "His" epitaph say "Betrayal, Disloyal, Cheater! No visits to the Cemetery (mentally)! God spared me from destruction with "him" and I'm eternally grateful! I choose to have a solid foundation in my life! Thank you Lord for delivering me from the fetters and chains! I am glad God gave me the courage to walk away first! I have no regrets! I have no desire to communicate in any sense! "He" loves preying on women! The OW will soon find out who "he" truly is Phantom of the Opera is exposed and others as well! The Ex Files is not a good idea to go back with an EX! They are an EX for a REASON! Now that I finally accept "he" has been TOXIC all along, I have been moving on with my LIFE and it feels GREAT! "He" was TOXIC baggage for years I finally TOSSED! I was so Obsessed and Addicted to him for years, I thought I would die because I thought I couldn't live without "him"! The fact is since I went cold turkey & walked away, I can live without "him"! "He" is NO BIG DEAL! I had enough of the Mental & Emotional abuse! "He" is probably trying to look for me but I am staying out of "his" sight! I was at Potential Risk with "him"! Bad company corrupts Good character and "He" and all the other Narcs are bad news! Just because "he" has someone else, doesn't mean I have to go out & run to someone else like "he" does! "He" is desperate for companionship and I'm not a Whore like "he" is! No matter how many times "he" dates or marries, it will never work! One of the best investments I made was to WALK AWAY COMPLETELY! I took all "his" power away by letting "him" go! I removed that sweet poison which was "him"! Out of all the gifts I ever gave "him", this was the most expensive gift of all "MY ABSENCE" and its FREE! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE I encourage all of you keep your head up because tomorrow is a brighter day! Every day will get easier and easier once you put your mind to it! I am grateful for this website and all of you knowing I am not alone!

Sorry this was lengthy!

God Bless and you're not ALONE ever!