New Testament Authorship Timeline

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Markseasigh

Dec 4, 2012
The writings of the Old Testament Authored 1,450 BC with Genesis, Ex, Lev, Num, Due and most likely Job and ending in 425 BC with I, and II Corinthians penned 1,450 bc – 425 bc
Prophetic books ( which were removed From the bible in the 1880’s ad) were written some point between 1450 bc – 425 bc, also. (Ex. The book of Enoch and an herbal document)
A few books were written which were included in the Original KJ version from 1611 they were for the most part Penned between 300 bc – 100 bc.

Jesus begins his ministry 26 ad

CHRIST was crucified in 30 ad

Three days after His death He ascended into Heaven to be with the Father

the Book James was written fifteen - 20 years after the crucifixion 45-50 ad

I, II Thessalonians authored by Paul 51'

Galations a letter to Galacia authored by Paul 49 or 55 ad

I, II Corinthians was written by Paul 55-56'

The Gospels Matthew and Mark are written by Matthew and Mark. 50-60 ad

the book of Romans is authored by Paul in 57-58'

The Gospel of Luke is authored by Luke 60'

Paul is placed under house arrest in ROME 60'-61'

Ephesians is a letter to the churches of Asia Minor authored by Paul 61'

Philippians a letter to the church at Philippi authored by Paul 61'

Colossians a letter to the church at Colossae authored by Paul 61'

The Book of Acts was authored by Luke in 61'

I Peter authored by Peter 63-64’

I Timothy, and Titus authored by Paul 63-66'

II Peter was written by Peter in 66'

II Timothy authored by Paul 67'

Peter and Paul are put to death in Rome and martyred 67'

Hebrews AUTHOR UNKNOWN penned 64-68'

The book of Jude was written by Jude 70-80'

The Gospel of John was written by The apostle John 85-90'

I, II, and II John and Revelation were all written by John in 90'

The Pseudepigrapha Apocrypha "removal of Enoch's prophecies and many others" occurred in 1880's ad? This is remember, after John the author wrote Revelation 22:19

bosco

Mar 10, 2012
These dates seem to be stated with great certainty even though a lot of scholars disagree in general on many such dates. Not saying they're wrong-- just curious what your source material is for this list?

Markseasigh

Dec 4, 2012
bosco said:
These dates seem to be stated with great certainty even though a lot of scholars disagree in general on many such dates. Not saying they're wrong-- just curious what your source material is for this list?
Mostly the Ryrie Study Bible, sorry should have cited this. I also Used my Hebrew Study Bible.
The Dates are accurate. I perfored a critical study into the matter.

My biggest surprise compiling this though is that KJ 1611 version had the apocrypha in it. Also, the New American Standard or catholic printed Bible had the Books of Judeth and Macabees placed back in it for public view. So they were deemed un god breathed at the time of the apocrypha and then reconsidered god breathed by scribes/ priests later on. Revelation was very clear about tampering with this set of books.

And some of the books were not removed till 1880 ad. That blew my mind when I actually found the date of the Removal of the Book of Enoch and some of the other prophetic old testament books which could have been God Breathed. They were at least God Breathed according to John the author of Revelation 22:19
I believe Revelation to be God Breathed so, therefore all therein is truth.

bosco

Mar 10, 2012
I think the dating is still open to speculation-- even many early Christian fathers questioned whether it was Peter who wrote 2 Peter, or one of his disciples writing in his name (hence the delay in its acceptance). And the Book of Revelation couldn't have been speaking of the canon you are presenting because the canon was not yet defined!

Like I said, that doesn't mean you're wrong, and some may have more evidence than others; I just don't know that we can fix the dates so firmly. In a sense, it doesn't matter because that doesn't call either their apostolic-era dating and authority, much less their divine authorship, into question. I like the layout of your timeline, though.

Markseasigh

Dec 4, 2012
Agreed, did you know?

The first hand-written English language Bible manuscripts were produced in the 1380's AD by John Wycliffe, an Oxford professor, scholar, and theologian. Wycliffe, (also spelled “Wycliff” & “Wyclif”), was well-known throughout Europe for his opposition to the teaching of the organized Church, which he believed to be contrary to the Bible. With the help of his followers, called the Lollards, and his assistant Purvey, and many other faithful scribes, Wycliffe produced dozens of English language manuscript copies of the scriptures. They were translated out of the Latin Vulgate, which was the only source text available to Wycliffe. The Pope was so infuriated by his teachings and his translation of the Bible into English, that 44 years after Wycliffe had died, he ordered the bones to be dug-up, crushed, and scattered in the river!

Up until the 1880’s every Protestant Bible (not just Catholic Bibles) had 80 books, not 66! The inter-testamental books written hundreds of years before Christ called “The Apocrypha” were part of virtually every printing of the Tyndale-Matthews Bible, the Great Bible, the Bishops Bible, the Protestant Geneva Bible, and the King James Bible until their removal in the 1880’s! The original 1611 King James contained the Apocrypha, and King James threatened anyone who dared to print the Bible without the Apocrypha with heavy fines and a year in jail. Only for the last 120 years has the Protestant Church rejected these books, and removed them from their Bibles. This has left most modern-day Christians believing the popular myth that there is something “Roman Catholic” about the Apocrypha. There is, however, no truth in that myth, and no widely-accepted reason for the removal of the Apocrypha in the 1880’s has ever been officially issued by a mainline Protestant denomination.

The original 1611 King James contained the Apocrypha, and King James threatened anyone who dared to print the Bible without the Apocrypha with heavy fines and a year in jail. Only for the last 120 years has the Protestant Church rejected these books, and removed them from their Bibles.