No Excuses: Go Help That Homeless Person

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was disgusted with my own self because in the past I did this whole song and dance before considering helping someone I saw who God was clearly showing needed help.

You know how it goes...

Are they really homeless? Will they use the money for drugs? Are they taking advantage?

Unless you are feeling distincty unsafe, there should be no excuse. Jesus said give to those who ask. Go encourage that person, buy them a meal, or give them money if you don't have time.

Even if they're taking advantage somehow---thats on them. Chances are you are still in a better situation then they are. You do the right thing and display true biblical love. Biblical love does practical things to help those in need or it is not love.

Go ahead and get it done. Don't hide your eyes. You may impact their life and faith with your kindness.

Don't act like tithing and giving to some faceless charity takes away your perogative to give to your neighbors and those you come across that are in need either. You are right there in front of them. You do it.
Good post, Wynona! Having been homeless before AND having panhandled before, I can tell ya...for MOST, everything DOES help!

Thing is, that many panhandlers panhandle for other things besides food. Not talking about drugs and/or alcohol. Bus fare...shoes...OTC products (Advil, etc.)...money to make copies of their resume, or to get a library card, so they have access to a computer to look for work...a cell phone charger, because theirs was stolen... Plus, all panhandlers aren't necessarily 'homeless'. They may even work, but they run short toward the end of the month, because whatever source of income they may receive isn't enough to cover EVERYTHING.

Every homeless person/poor person's situation is different. MOST aren't on drugs/alcoholics/scammers. Most don't want to be on the streets, begging for money.

I think someone mentioned upthread, that if we give money, we should let go of the outcome. Don't worry about what they may use it for. Simply give, and say a prayer that they use it for the right reasons. It's really between them and God, and YOU and God. Not you AND them AND God. YOU did your part. God isn't going to fault YOU if they use it for drugs, etc.

laBonhomme

Nov 25, 2023
Western Cascades
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's an interesting philosophical argument, I remember it being the de rigure go to politique of the Reaganite 1980s, people who otherwise knew nothing more about accounting or banking, finance and the economy could talk circles around you in "moral science" if the homeless crisis came up.

I don't look at it that way. I know I'm more liberal than anyone else on the site, but the homeless crisis is still a problem caused by inappropriate international trade, including deficits with illegal partners in trade, and racially motivated real estate shenanigans.

In terms of Bible thought, one comment is "The poor you have with you always." There will always be people who don't have any money, that's true. However, within my own immediate circles (I'm talking about geography and family/school/work/religious ties when I say that), I also remember that Paul said to "Keep putting up with each other."

If it's someone I already otherwise know personally, then I still help as a friend, the same I would have before.