No Excuses: Go Help That Homeless Person

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was disgusted with my own self because in the past I did this whole song and dance before considering helping someone I saw who God was clearly showing needed help.

You know how it goes...

Are they really homeless? Will they use the money for drugs? Are they taking advantage?

Unless you are feeling distincty unsafe, there should be no excuse. Jesus said give to those who ask. Go encourage that person, buy them a meal, or give them money if you don't have time.

Even if they're taking advantage somehow---thats on them. Chances are you are still in a better situation then they are. You do the right thing and display true biblical love. Biblical love does practical things to help those in need or it is not love.

Go ahead and get it done. Don't hide your eyes. You may impact their life and faith with your kindness.

Don't act like tithing and giving to some faceless charity takes away your perogative to give to your neighbors and those you come across that are in need either. You are right there in front of them. You do it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was disgusted with my own self because in the past I did this whole song and dance before considering helping someone I saw who God was clearly showing needed help.

You know how it goes...

Are they really homeless? Will they use the money for drugs? Are they taking advantage?

Unless you are feeling distincty unsafe, there should be no excuse. Jesus said give to those who ask. Go encourage that person, buy them a meal, or give them money if you don't have time.

Even if they're taking advantage somehow---thats on them. Chances are you are still in a better situation then they are. You do the right thing and display true biblical love. Biblical love does practical things to help those in need or it is not love.

Go ahead and get it done. Don't hide your eyes. You may impact their life and faith with your kindness.

Don't act like tithing and giving to some faceless charity takes away your perogative to give to your neighbors and those you come across that are in need either. You are right there in front of them. You do it.
Amen!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they really homeless?
I sense you are equating pan handlers at the end of the highway with homeless people?

Jesus said give to those who ask.

Did he?

Even if they're taking advantage somehow---thats on them. Chances are you are still in a better situation then they are.

It is on both of us. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 6-7 years ago this Black guy came up to me at a fast food parking lot asking for money, claiming his car broke down up the street.

Each time, before I could respond, he muttered something like ‘unless you are racist’ AS IF the only reason not to give him money is because of my moral shortcoming. No humility in his request, only entitlement.

I gave him money the first time but not after that. Regarding always saying yes to people who ask for money; I’m just not going to do it. And I’m not going to feel guilty about not doing it either!

I pick up hitch hikers and even pay for a gas can, gas and return them to their stranded car. But I only give money to pan handlers when the Spirit moves me. I haven’t seen a homeless person in half a century.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sense you are equating pan handlers at the end of the highway with homeless people?

Did he?

It is on both of us. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 6-7 years ago this Black guy came up to me at a fast food parking lot asking for money, claiming his car broke down up the street.

Each time, before I could respond, he muttered something like ‘unless you are racist’ AS IF the only reason not to give him money is because of my moral shortcoming. No humility in his request, only entitlement.

I gave him money the first time but not after that. Regarding always saying yes to people who ask for money; I’m just not going to do it. And I’m not going to feel guilty about not doing it either!

I pick up hitch hikers and even pay for a gas can, gas and return them to their stranded car. But I only give money to pan handlers when the Spirit moves me. I haven’t seen a homeless person in half a century.
Not here to argue. God bless

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You know how it goes...

Don't feel bad. We all make mistakes. It's a delicate balance between helping the needy and being scammed!

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But I only give money to pan handlers when the Spirit moves me
We don’t have any homeless people in my small town.....when I visit my Sons hometown, I used to always take the bus to my Sons, even though I can drive.

There were a few homeless people in Newbury, when I say homeless, that’s what I thought they were and always gave money to one in particular, even went into Cosco and used to buy him a hot drink and sandwich in the winter, he used to sit on the ground with a cap in front of him on the ground, which had coins in it, ..one day i was talking to a bus driver about this homeless person.

He told me that he wasn’t homeless as such, as he found shelter at night in a hostel, he had to leave the hostel in the morning and could return at night...the bus driver even described what the person looked like, that I was giving money to, he knew him , also told me that he got benefits...plus he was a drug user and drinker....that was the last time that I have ever given money out.

Like you, I ask the Lord to lead me via his Spirit...on who to help..and he does....lots of people out there who can and do take advantage on people’s generosity....

Some, even make a living, by posing as homeless people.....

Reactions: Wrangler

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew a guy once who "flew a sign" saying: "Anything helps, God bless." He told me he did it for cigarette money. It's unfortunate but there are indeed people who prey on people's sympathy for their own selfish gain. Each person has to decide if they want to give a stranger money. Personally I'd give them food or water, not cash.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It definitely doesn't have to be money. Its just one option among many ways we can bless our neighbor and not just ignore them

Reactions: Jack

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
used to buy him a hot drink and sandwich in the winter
Nicely done. Less convenient than cash but far better in helping the down and out.

I offered to buy a sandwich for one pan handler. He became irate that I did not give him cash. That told me the score, the scheme, the game that was afoot. <sigh>

I offered one guy work in exchange for generous wages. There was a lot of landscaping work at my house that needed to be done and I could pick him up at 8 AM Saturday and Sunday morning. He could not believe my offer but said he'd be at the same spot as he always is (to double down on my sympathy). The moment of truth came and went. The panhandler had moved on. Again, that told me the score, the scheme, the game that was afoot. <sigh>

To say no one is doing enough to help the down in out is a logical fallacy of argumentation known as Appeal to Emotion (Guilt). @Wynona said she is not here to argue. Evidently, just here to lay a guilt trip?!

Biblical love does practical things to help those in need or it is not love ... Don't act like tithing and giving to some faceless charity takes away your perogative to give to your neighbors and those you come across that are in need either.

Prerogative an exclusive or special right, power, or privilege ... not obligation. We are not talking about love but money. And I have an obligation to see my money be used wisely - not wasted, even in the name of 'charity.'

Regarding the emotional manipulation to get people to be more charitable to dubious causes (like panhandlers) they'll learn to live with "no" for an answer. The question of why I don't give does not have to be answered. That's the beauty of freedom! If you are not a slave, you don't have to explain your choices (this was tested during the COVID 'vaccine' hoax). In fact, not explaining one's choices is a hallmark of liberty. (Women who have abortions are not required to explain their choice as a condition or prerequisite).

where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Corinthians 3:17

• Love

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An alltime classic

Bobby Brown, My Prerogative

[Intro]
Get busy!

[Chorus]
Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me (Now now)
Why don't they just let me live? (Ooh)
I don't need permission, make my own decisions (Oh!)
That's my prerogative

[Verse 1]
They say I'm crazy, I really don't care
That's my prerogative
They say I'm nasty, but I don't give a damn
Gettin' girls is how I live
Some ask me questions, why am I so real?
But they don't understand me
Or really don't know the deal about a brother
Tryin' hard to make it right
Not long ago, before I win this fight (Sing)

[Chorus]
Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me
Why don't they just let me live? (Tell me why)
I don't need permission, make my own decisions (Oh!)
That's my prerogative

[Refrain]
It's the way that I wanna live (It's my prerogative)
I can do just what I feel (It's my prerogative)
No one can tell me what to do (It's my prerogative)
'Cause what I'm doing, I'm doing for you, now

[Verse 2]
Don't get me wrong, I'm really not souped
Ego trips is not my thing
All these strange relationships really gets me down
I see nothing wrong spreadin' myself around (Sing)

[Chorus]
Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me (Yeah)
Why don't they just let me live? (Tell me why)
I don't need permission, make my own decisions
That's my prerogative

[Refrain]
It's my prerogative (It's my prerogative)
I can do what I wanna do (It's my prerogative)
Can live my life (It's my prerogative)
I'm doing it just for you (It's my prerogative)

[Bridge]
Tell me, tell me, why can't I live my life (Live my life)
Without all of the things that people say?

[Interlude]
Yo Teddy, kick it like this
Oh, no, no
I can do what I wanna do
Me and you
Together, together, together, together, together

[Chorus]
Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me (Everybody's talkin')
Why don't they just let me live?
(Why don't they just let me live, girl?)
(I don't need permission from nobody)
That's my prerogative

Everybody's talkin' all this stuff about me (Everybody's talkin')
Why don't they just let me live? (Now)
That's my prerogative

[Outro]
What is this, a blizzard, that I can't have money in my pocket
And people not talk about me?
This world is a trip; I don't know what's goin' on these days
Got this person over here talkin' about me, this person
Ay, listen, let me tell you somethin', it's my prerogative
I can do what I wanna do
I made this money, you didn't; right, Ted?
We outta here!

It's my, it's my, it's my, it's my
It's my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my, my
It's my...Woo!
It's my prerogative, it's my...
It's my, it's my, my, my
It's my prerogative, can't you see, baby doll?
Ha, why you wanna talk about me?
Tell me, tell me why...

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nicely done. Less convenient than cash but far better in helping the down and out.

I offered to buy a sandwich for one pan handler. He became irate that I did not give him cash. That told me the score, the scheme, the game that was afoot. <sigh>

I offered one guy work in exchange for generous wages. There was a lot of landscaping work at my house that needed to be done and I could pick him up at 8 AM Saturday and Sunday morning. He could not believe my offer but said he'd be at the same spot as he always is (to double down on my sympathy). The moment of truth came and went. The panhandler had moved on. Again, that told me the score, the scheme, the game that was afoot. <sigh>

To say no one is doing enough to help the down in out is a logical fallacy of argumentation known as Appeal to Emotion (Guilt). @Wynona said she is not here to argue. Evidently, just here to lay a guilt trip?!

Prerogative an exclusive or special right, power, or privilege ... not obligation. We are not talking about love but money. And I have an obligation to see my money be used wisely - not wasted, even in the name of 'charity.'

Regarding the emotional manipulation to get people to be more charitable to dubious causes (like panhandlers) they'll learn to live with "no" for an answer. The question of why I don't give does not have to be answered. That's the beauty of freedom! If you are not a slave, you don't have to explain your choices (this was tested during the COVID 'vaccine' hoax). In fact, not explaining one's choices is a hallmark of liberty. (Women who have abortions are not required to explain their choice as a condition or prerequisite).

100% agree....I think some need to realise we all view things very differently..you voiced your opinion, which may upset a few...we all have our own opinions..not everyone is of the same opinion..

I think understanding that everyone may differ as we see here on this thread..it’s accepting others opinions..some for some reason can’t.....I used to be like that,I wanted everyone to agree with me....that’s control then ain’t it......we are all free to voice...Praise God for that..

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that’s control then ain’t it
Bingo.

Regarding opinion, when the dynamic escalates, those who seek control want to stay at the opinion level. They know they lose at the fact level. And the fact is that it is the individuals choice - even if your opinion is their choice is not for sufficiently good reasons.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

People are free to do what they want and my post doesnt change that, regardless of whether you want to label it as emotional manipulation or not.

I stand by people needing to find more reasons to be helpful than self serving. We all know how to look out for ourselves. Jesus is our example and He did indeed say to give to those who ask in Matthew.

I shouldn't be quarreling but I don't appreciate this. No one demanded anyone explain their choices. That is needlessly defensive. You are making the thread all about you and your choices, so have the last word if you want. I'm done.

Edit: Responding angrily won't help. Sorry. Do I like what you posted? No. But its fine for you to disagree.

Last edited:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
100% agree....I think some need to realise we all view things very differently..you voiced your opinion, which may upset a few...we all have our own opinions..not everyone is of the same opinion..

I think understanding that everyone may differ as we see here on this thread..it’s accepting others opinions..some for some reason can’t.....I used to be like that,I wanted everyone to agree with me....that’s control then ain’t it......we are all free to voice...Praise God for that..
So was my OP controlling? If so, please explain.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is our example and He did indeed say to give to those who ask in Matthew.
You are right, that Jesus said to give to those who ask. Sadly, you turned it into an obligation with - no excuses - for those who do not ask.

The ESV renders the verse, beg. I believe this is more in the Spirit in which our lord commanded us to act - not be victims of scam artists with a sense of entitlement. Big difference. Though it takes a little discernment.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right, that Jesus said to give to those who ask. Sadly, you turned it into an obligation with - no excuses - for those who do not ask.
Im not following. People who beg on the street are asking. Those are people I think we ought to help in some way if we are able.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So was my OP controlling? If so, please explain.
What are you talking about, ?it was the comment you made to @Wrangler ...you said...not here to argue?

All he did was voice his opinion.....my question to you...not here to argue?

Did you actually understand my post?

Who said your OP was controlling?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about, ?it was the comment you made to @Wrangler ...you said...not here to argue?

All he did was voice his opinion.....my question to you...not here to argue?

Did you actually understand my post?

Who said your OP was controlling?

I figured you were saying my OP was controlling with this.
I used to be like that,I wanted everyone to agree with me....that’s control then ain’t it.

If thats not what you meant, great. But if it is, please explain.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I figured you were saying my OP was controlling with this.

If thats not what you meant, great. But if it is, please explain.
I said no such thing.

Now you explain..why you said what you said to @Wrangler .

Not here to argue?

Because it made absolutely no sense to me.