no one knoweth the day or the hour

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brother Brian

Jul 20, 2013
can we know the day or hour, or is this statement for the children of darkness.
micah I think. for god does nothing without revealing it first thru the prophets, ( I cant find this scripture so help please)

you thots will do but scripture proves

BB

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Brother Brian said:
micah I think. for god does nothing without revealing it first thru the prophets,
What he reveals through the prophets is that we do not know the day or hour

But we are given some forerunner hints

Reactions: KevinMiller

The_highwayman

Jul 22, 2013
Brother Brian said:
micah I think. for god does nothing without revealing it first thru the prophets, ( I cant find this scripture so help please)

BB
BB,
The passage you were looking for was Amos 3:3-7
Can two people walk together
without agreeing on the direction?
4 Does a lion ever roar in a thicket
without first finding a victim?
Does a young lion growl in its den
without first catching its prey?
5 Does a bird ever get caught in a trap
that has no bait?
Does a trap spring shut
when there’s nothing to catch?
6 When the ram’s horn blows a warning,
shouldn’t the people be alarmed?
Does disaster come to a city
unless the Lord has planned it?

7 Indeed, the Sovereign Lord never does anything
until he reveals his plans to his servants the prophets.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Brother Brian said:

BB

Truly, no man can know the day or hour of our Lord Jesus' second coming, as He said.

Matt 24:36
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
(KJV)

If anyone could know it, it would become too tempting to live however, and then repent at the last moment. Even the wicked might find out and God's shock upon them wouldn't have its effect.

But per Apostle Paul in 1 Thess.5, that day is not to overtake us as a thief, meaning, even though we cannot know that day or hour, we are still not to be taken in surprise by it like it will do upon the wicked who will least expect it.

In that 1 Thess.5 Paul mentioned the idea of "the times and the seasons" to the Thessalonians, of how we are expected to be aware of those times and seasons so we won't... be surprised. This is why our Lord Jesus gave us 7 main signs of the end in His Olivet Discourse of Matt.24 and Mark 13, and the Seals, Trumpets, and Vials in His Book of Revelation (which means 'disclosure', or 'the unveiling').

Some preachers will get up at the pulpit and tell us no man knows the day or hour, so don't even think about the events coming for the end. What they are actually saying is that THEY THEMSELVES don't have a clue as to what's to happen leading up to our Lord Jesus' second coming, and they don't want you to ask them any questions about it. Those aren't called by God, they're hirelings, treating preaching like a business, like if you try to get along with them, then they'll be easy to get along with. Christ will cast those out of His House when comes, like He said back in the OT prophets, and He will give us pastors that will truly feed His sheep like He commanded.

Brother Brian

Jul 20, 2013
Hi veteran
you quoted Mathew 24;36 but here you read that it is heaven and earth that will pass away, and of that day no one knoweth the day or the hour.
our lord addresses the signs of his coming earlier in the chapter.

yet this quote is always in reference to our lords second coming
are we looking at a miss quote here

BB

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Brother Brian said:
Hi veteran
you quoted Mathew 24;36 but here you read that it is heaven and earth that will pass away, and of that day no one knoweth the day or the hour.
our lord addresses the signs of his coming earlier in the chapter.

yet this quote is always in reference to our lords second coming
are we looking at a miss quote here

BB
Well, look at the context again. Do you not see the subject before and right after that 36th verse being about Christ's coming?

Matt 24:33-37
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
(KJV)

You'll also find the 36th verse idea in Zech.14:7, again in Matt.24:44 and 24:47 further below, and Matt.25:13. So there's no mistaking He was saying no one knows the specific day or hour of His return.

So why is that verse subject of Matt.24:35 about the earth passing away there? Well, what's to occur on the 'day of The LORD' when He returns? See 2 Peter 3:10.

Then there's this...

Rev 3:3
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
(KJV)

Same subject there, His command for us to be watching for His coming. Yet here in Rev.3, He warns those if they don't watch they won't know in what hour He comes. So did our Lord Jesus contradict Himself? No.

One that knows the 'times and the seasons' Apostle Paul spoke to the Thessalonians about will 'know' the 'season' of Christ's return. Afterall, our Lord Jesus was giving us the very last generation on earth that will 'see' His return with those signs He gave in Matthew 24. He gave us that so we would be doing... what? Partying because we're saved? No.

It's because He is allowing certain events for the last days to come upon this earth that have never been the likes of ever before in this present earth's history. And He does not want His Church, us, to be deceived by those events. Those events to cause deception He's allowing is for the 'wicked' on this earth, not His Church. We're supposed to stay on watch so we don't fall into the deception trap He intends upon the wicked in the last days. If one of His does fall for it, then it will mean they did not listen to Him in His Word and thus became deceived; they will have listened to men's doctrines instead (we were warned about that specifically also for the end - 2 Timothy 4; 2 Peter 2; Acts 20:27-31).

By staying on watch, and recognizing the signs of the end our Lord Jesus and His Apostles gave us, we can know within the one hour of Christ's second coming. We still don't know which specific hour or day that is now, but when the events of the end unfold that He gave us, at that future time... immediatley prior to His coming, we can know that hour. Our Lord Jesus revealed it in His Book of Revelation.

The_highwayman

Jul 22, 2013
veteran said:
Well, look at the context again. Do you not see the subject before and right after that 36th verse being about Christ's coming?

Matt 24:33-37
33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
(KJV)

You'll also find the 36th verse idea in Zech.14:7, again in Matt.24:44 and 24:47 further below, and Matt.25:13. So there's no mistaking He was saying no one knows the specific day or hour of His return.

So why is that verse subject of Matt.24:35 about the earth passing away there? Well, what's to occur on the 'day of The LORD' when He returns? See 2 Peter 3:10.

Then there's this...

3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
(KJV)

Same subject there, His command for us to be watching for His coming. Yet here in Rev.3, He warns those if they don't watch they won't know in what hour He comes. So did our Lord Jesus contradict Himself? No.

One that knows the 'times and the seasons' Apostle Paul spoke to the Thessalonians about will 'know' the 'season' of Christ's return. Afterall, our Lord Jesus was giving us the very last generation on earth that will 'see' His return with those signs He gave in Matthew 24. He gave us that so we would be doing... what? Partying because we're saved? No.

It's because He is allowing certain events for the last days to come upon this earth that have never been the likes of ever before in this present earth's history. And He does not want His Church, us, to be deceived by those events. Those events to cause deception He's allowing is for the 'wicked' on this earth, not His Church. We're supposed to stay on watch so we don't fall into the deception trap He intends upon the wicked in the last days. If one of His does fall for it, then it will mean they did not listen to Him in His Word and thus became deceived; they will have listened to men's doctrines instead (we were warned about that specifically also for the end - 2 Timothy 4; 2 Peter 2; Acts 20:27-31).

By staying on watch, and recognizing the signs of the end our Lord Jesus and His Apostles gave us, we can know within the one hour of Christ's second coming. We still don't know which specific hour or day that is now, but when the events of the end unfold that He gave us, at that future time... immediatley prior to His coming, we can know that hour. Our Lord Jesus revealed it in His Book of Revelation.
How could this happen: Our Lord Jesus revealed it in His Book of Revelation.
When Jesus said in Mark 13:32 not even HE knows when the day or hour is?

Mark13.32

32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Their are some that they say they know the time but, that times passes and the word still stands that no one knows the hour.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
In Mark 13:32, Jesus said, "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
I think we should leave it at that.

If we are living as we should, behaving like the sheep in the Messiah's parable of the sheep and goats, then we won't have need to worry about the day and hour of the LORD's return.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Brother Brian said:

BB
Ever wonder why Jesus did not know the day or hour even though we understand him to be part of the Godhead?
It is because he is the Word of God that goes forth from the Father whom is the Head of Christ and decides what and when to Speak His will to send forth HIS WORD to accomplish it in the earth.

1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
KJV
John 1:14-15
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
KJV

Matt 4:4
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by{NATURAL} bread alone, but by every word{BREAD OF LIFE} that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
KJV

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The_highwayman said:
How could this happen: Our Lord Jesus revealed it in His Book of Revelation.
When Jesus said in Mark 13:32 not even HE knows when the day or hour is?

Mark13.32

32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
He revealed His coming within 3.5 days that the "two witnesses" in Jerusalem are killed and left laying in the street, and then arise with the coming of the 7th Trumpet - 3rd Woe. Per Rev.10 and Rev.11, when that 7th Trumpet sounds, ALL... the kingdoms of this world become directly under God and His Son Jesus Christ, and He will reign forever.

So... if you are watching when God's two witnesses are killed and left laying in the street in Jerusalem, you can know the hour even, the hour when that 3.5 days period ends, and the two witnesses arise. Because Rev.11 says the nations will see their dead bodies laying the street for 3.5 days, I suspect it will be televised.

But do any of us know right now when that will happen in our near future? No, of course not, and that's the difference of what I'm saying.

KevinMiller

Jul 29, 2013
Seattle, Washington
It is indeed stated in the Bible thaty no one knows the day or hour

Matthew 24:36-39
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

So we must all be prepared !

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
KevinMiller said:
It is indeed stated in the Bible thaty no one knows the day or hour

Matthew 24:36-39
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

So we must all be prepared !
Explain this then...
(KJV)

Brother Brian

Jul 20, 2013
loving the replies
I am on holiday at the moment and will reply in more detail when I get home.
the term no one knows the day or the hour stems from the new moon determining the start of the new 30 day circle , but the new moon cannot be seen till the first cresent shows and that can be up to 48 hours away from the new moons coming, hence the term no one knows the day or the hour.
I think our lord will arrive on the new moon but the exact time the old moon becomes new only the creator can know, hence that term.
add to that , satan messing around with our callander so much I could not be certain of my birthday and you really do not know the day or the hour but will certainly know the season to within weeks, but more of the end time prophecies(ezek 38 and 39, along with most of revelation) need to happen before we can start the countdown.

in Christ
BB

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Bro Bryan,

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Disciples ask a question as to when the end of the age will come.

Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Jesus answers them.

Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Heaven and earth is the place that God and man did meet, on the temple mount.

Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

In conclusion, Jesus is telling his disciples that no one would know. We also see that Jesus said it would happen in their generation. We know, through history, that this happened in 70 AD, when the place where God and man did meet was totally destroyed by the Roman army. We need to read scripture as if it is about them, not us. For this is truly correct, it was about them. Maybe we just have a wrong opinion that has been passed on by false prophets.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Rocky Wiley said:
In conclusion, Jesus is telling his disciples that no one would know. We also see that Jesus said it would happen in their generation. We know, through history, that this happened in 70 AD, when the place where God and man did meet was totally destroyed by the Roman army. We need to read scripture as if it is about them, not us. For this is truly correct, it was about them. Maybe we just have a wrong opinion that has been passed on by false prophets.
I don't believe Jesus was referring to 'their' generation. The subject was about Christ second coming, and the generation that would be alive on earth at that time. The disciples generation passed without seeing those signs come to pass, and no generation has seen the abomination of desolation standing in the holy place. Jerusalem fell in 70AD, but Christ did not return in judgement, so it could not have already happened. We cannot know the exact hour, be we can know the season .

Sometimes we read the obvious signs, but miss the fine print :)

canadianhumor.jpg

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
I think it's a mistake to read the Old Testament and apply it to today as if the New Covenant never happened. The age of prophets is over, all the prophets and the law having been fulfilled in Jesus Christ. This was the driving lesson in the transfiguration vision given to the disciples of Christ. God's chosen vessel of revelation is the Church and will be until the end of time. If the Mormons understood this, they wouldn't have hankered after a lying "prophet" as being given some special revelation that nobody else is given. If the Muslims understood this, they too wouldn't have had a "prophet" that represented a giant leap backward into the Old Covenant. There are no more prophets because the age in which God spoke to his people through prophets is at an end. This is why we're told:

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things.. (Hebrews 1:1,2)

Don't look for a prophet, look only to Jesus Christ.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Dan57 said:
I don't believe Jesus was referring to 'their' generation. The subject was about Christ second coming, and the generation that would be alive on earth at that time. The disciples generation passed without seeing those signs come to pass, and no generation has seen the abomination of desolation standing in the holy place. Jerusalem fell in 70AD, but Christ did not return in judgement, so it could not have already happened. We cannot know the exact hour, be we can know the season .

Sometimes we read the obvious signs, but miss the fine print :)
Hi Dan,

I believe he returned because he said he would and history backs me up.

You believe he didn't.Because?
Just wondering.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Dodo_David said:
In Mark 13:32, Jesus said, "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
I think we should leave it at that.

If we are living as we should, behaving like the sheep in the Messiah's parable of the sheep and goats, then we won't have need to worry about the day and hour of the LORD's return.
I agree with this. Perhaps, the best way to live is to pretend that the Lord is coming tomorrow. If we believe that He comes tomorrow, I'm sure we would all be in our best behavior. :)