North/South Divide on Parenting Revealed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
I find that of the two reasons why people in the north stay married than in the south is education and money.

Honestly I think it's the money more than anything. Most marriages I have that failed it was more over the money than anything else.

The money usually is from three reasons.

Not enough.
Fight over control.
Greed for more.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you there!

I've been reading a lot lately books like Robert Putnam's Our Kids: The American Dream In Crisis and Charles Murray's Coming Apart: The State of White America which detail this trend, if you will. It was once thought of as a "black problem" when detailed in the 1970s by Daniel Patrick Moynihan (himself no conservative or racist as he was sometimes branded at the time). Obviously, we've grown up to mostly see beyond this, but it's really sobering how here in the US, society is splitting into two distinct sections. On one hand, you have a decreasing group who do thinks somewhat traditionally, such as securing a job, marriage, then kids, and so on versus another contingent that's increasingly having kids outside of marriage and unable to generate a stable life in almost any sense of the word.

The odds are firmly stacked against any kid born out of wedlock. Not insurmountable, because I know people personally who have overcome them, but stacked nonetheless. Obviously, I believe our Savior has a huge say about this and can overcome anything(!!), but this is the 800 lb elephant nobody really wants to address outside of adhering to their proper political perspective's traditional fixes. What's so strange and yet fascinating about it, is that the educated set where rates remain stable tends to hold a more liberalized view of marriage, but that doesn't always translate to them exercising that belief.

By the way, Moynihan was alarmed by a 1/4 birth out-of-wedlock rate in his time. The overall national rate now stands at 2/5, with the black community now at 7/10 and the white community growing at 3/10. A lot of these rates are highest in the south.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
The issue with the present system in the United States is that, unlike the rest of the industrial west, the government does not exact enough taxes from corporations and spends little on domestic issues to be able to satisfy the needs of the majority of the population in needs of two out of three of the basic needs of life (food and shelter).

If the US would return to Eisenhower corporate tax structures, eliminated SOX and closed the ability for corporations to take advantage of the double irish and dutch sandwich loophole; most of the budget issues would be resolved within five to ten years.

Sadly though, they will not do this as the government is in the pocket of the corporations.

There must be more programmes to assist young people in education so they may make a higher income, know how to manage it that income starting at a primary education level and to understand the financial portions of marriage (teaching that in a secondary education area). Money is the main root of relationship failure and educating people on how to on personal fiscal responsibility would go a long way into keeping marriages solvent in the short and long term.

A woman needs to have her own means of support as much as a man and both need to know how to manage their money so they do not risk debt to level that brings stress onto the relationship.