Not my will...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feb 7, 2013
Luk 22:42
Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

How was Jesus will, Not the will of God?

Jhn 10:30 "I and my Father are one."
Or is this verse wrong?

Can our will not be Gods will and remain free from sin?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I thnk you miss the point. Christ was in teh flesh, suffering as any man would, he pain would have being the same maybe even more because he knew what He would suffer. the will of teh flesh does not always agree with teh will of God. yet he gave up the will of His flesh to do what God has asked, it is the same for every one of us.

Jhn 10:30 "I and my Father are one."
Or is this verse wrong?
No again you missed teh point, Christ and God are in agreement, remember, Jesus teh word of God come in teh flesh. How can Gods word not be in agreement with God, but that doesnt stop ones flesh from disagreeing.

in All His love

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I think Jesus was looking for a way out, that his Father would find another way so he wouldn't have to suffer. It shows his faith in his Father that even with his inside knowledge Jesus still held hope that there was another way.

Philippians 2:8 "And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death-- even death on a cross!"

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even as Christ was suffering on the cross... Matthew 27:46
46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

(sorry, KJV) its just the first one that came up.

He knew it was the will of God but still didn't want to suffer.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't want to suffer, but He did want to do His Fathers will. Jesus humbled Himself and placed Himself under the authority of the Father. If He was equal to the Father, He would not have been able to be tempted in the desert.

Feb 7, 2013
Hi, thanks for your responses.

On missing the point... just briefly,
When I came here I wanted to hear the opinions of other Christians outside of those well rehearsed ones from my own denomination.
I like to look at things from as many perspectives as possible which is why I ask these questions, not necessarily that I haven't considered what you may respond, but in the hope that I haven't!

mjrhealth said:
...the will of teh flesh does not always agree with teh will of God. yet he gave up the will of His flesh to do what God has asked, it is the same for every one of us.

Mrjhealth: Of course the will of the flesh does not always agree with the will of God because it is sinful.
Rom 8:3
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

But how could Jesus be sent in the likeness of sinful flesh when...
Heb 4:15
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

See it could not be the same for every one of us like you say because we are not without sin.
It is just very confusing... Yet I do like what the Psalmist says...

Psa 73:26
My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.

Just as the angel came to strengthen Jesus, God also strengthens our hearts when our flesh is weak.

lforrest said:
I think Jesus was looking for a way out, that his Father would find another way so he wouldn't have to suffer. It shows his faith in his Father that even with his inside knowledge Jesus still held hope that there was another way.

Philippians 2:8 "And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death-- even death on a cross!"
Ooo I liked what you said here! I know I look for a way out when i'm in trouble, how much more human could Jesus get? But then I remembered that Jesus knew he would have to suffer or the prophecies would not be fulfilled.

Mar 9:12
And he answered and told them, Elias verily cometh first, and restoreth all things; and how it is written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many things, and be set at nought.

I'm sure Jesus had 'inside knowledge' and hope in his father. The will Jesus was praying about could have nothing to do with avoiding his own suffering, that would be selfish.

Born_Again said:
Even as Christ was suffering on the cross... Matthew 27:46
46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

(sorry, KJV) its just the first one that came up.

He knew it was the will of God but still didn't want to suffer.
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about that verse, that's a good one. The Opening line from Psalm 22, Even at the point of death Jesus was pointing those who seek him to the scriptures that testify of him

Jhn 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me

Psa 22:16
For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet...

Psa 22:18
They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Psa 22:23-24
Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel. For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

(Reading this line just brought tears to my eyes).

God did not Forsake Jesus!

Also the scriptures are not alone in testifying of him...
Jhn 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me

However, that still leaves Jesus will to remove this cup from me, (give it to anyone else) being different from Gods will, and I'm still at a loss to fully comprehend this let alone try to explain this to someone else.

B

brakelite

Hi Steve. I do not believe it was the physical suffering that Jesus feared. He was going to His death...why? Because of sin. He didn't have to physically suffer to atone for our sins, but He did have to die. And it was what that death entailed that Jesus wanted to avoid if possible. It was separation from His father that He feared more than anything else. It was the very same death that we must go through if we reject the salvation offered us by our Savior. That death we must face if we reject the promise of eternal life entails a separation from God without any hope of reconciliation! In order to atone fully for our transgressions. Jesus had to go through the exact precise same death that we must go through if we turn away from His salvation. Jesus died with no real hope of reconciliation with His Father. Jesus knew this in Gethsemane. What depth of agony this must of been. No wonder He sweat great drops of blood. Yet despite that fear, He placed His destiny in His Father's hands, trusting in His Father's righteousness and love to bring about a good end. How can anyone turn away from such love as this?