Numbers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
You Tube Channel Video Devo

“Numbers”
Hebrews 12:11 NIV
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

About a week and a half ago, I decided to get on the scale one morning because I hadn’t weighed myself for a long time. I just stood there and looked at the number and said, “You’ve got to be kidding!” I was not happy about it. I thought about all the days that I’ve laid around doing nothing when I should be moving around and then all the times I probably overeat with meals and snacking.

As much as I did not like what I saw, it was the reality that really hit me! The numbers stared me right in the face. I couldn’t say, “Well, the scale is broken!” or “batteries need changing”. I knew they were right and I just felt fat. I was ashamed I had let the numbers get so high. I hadn’t really been taking care of myself as I ought to. That has changed since then. I’m starting to eat less at meals and not snacking so much. I’m also getting back out to walk and jog again. That feels great!

Numbers have a way of showing us reality. Scores from a school test. Numbers from blood lab work. Numbers when we get a bill we didn’t expect. So many different ways we are told numbers that leave us in a state of shock. It’s reality and it has hit us. There’s no sense in arguing about it or trying to make excuses. We have to own up to the reality and start making changes or just facing the reality of what we might have to live with if we can’t change the numbers.

Numbers can be a powerful way for God to get our attention. When we aren’t taking care of ourselves, the numbers we see on a test or a scale can slap us upside the head back into reality. Maybe we shouldn’t eat out so much. Maybe we should have ice cream so often.

I did not like what the scale showed me. And, you know what? That number isn’t going down fast. I have to work at it. I have to be diligent. I have to stay consistent with being mindful of what I eat and getting out for exercise. We have to make a conscious effort to change things when we don’t like what we see. We cannot keep on living how we’ve lived and expect things to change.

Friends, when we don’t like certain numbers we see, we need to practice discipline. It’s hard to do. Numbers often do not lie. I’m not saying every test is 100% accurate, but the numbers should jolt us into thinking better than we usually do. We need to be more disciplined in life and take better care of ourselves and be mindful of things before they spiral out of control.

God definitely disciplines us in life and we often need it. Let’s heed God’s discipline when He’s trying to wake us up to reality.