Obedience is Better than Sacrifice . . .

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe love is better than obedience.

We can do what we do for others out of our desire to be obedient to God. We discern the circumstance, we examine our knowledge of God's Word, and we act according to our best understanding.

We can do what we do for others our of our Christian love for them. I like where the KJV says, "Charity". I understand this as, our internal commitment towards the wellbeing of others. The inner desire to meet other people's needs, however much I can, with all godliness.

With all godliness, we are informed by the Bible as to what is and is not godliness.

But the true expression of our faith isn't found in conforming our behavior to a list of commands we read in the Bible, and focus on constraining our behavior to those.

"Faith, expressed by Love."

The true expression of our faith will be our caring for those around us, serving their needs from our hearts.

I remember years ago, my mother was in poor health at the time. In those days I wanted nothing to do with her. God spoke to me, "She is my beloved daughter, and you will serve her." There was no doubt in my mind. So serve her I did, and in bitterness, though I think I was just about always able to hide it. Once I dared mention things past, with no better response then I had expected.

But I served her needs, obedient to God's command. God's child was cared for, so the work was accomplished.

But is this what God intends for us?

In loving others, we do all that we do in obedience, only, we add in this inexhaustible outflowing of care and concern that doesn't just do what is required, but finds more to do till all that love is fully expressed.

And I'm not seeing a limit on that!

Much love!

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you personally believe doesn't matter if it doesn't align with the Bible. The only thing the Bible teaches as being more important than obedience is mercy. No amount of religious-sounding psychobabble about human love will change that.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing the Bible teaches as being more important than obedience is mercy. No amount of religious-sounding psychobabble about human love will change that.

The Hebrew word chesed used in the famous “For I desire chesed and not sacrifice” (Hosea 6:6, see also Matthew 9:13), though usually translated as “mercy” in the KJV, has a wide range of nuances including “steadfast love”, “loving kindness”, “loyalty”, “covenant faithfulness”, “grace”, and of course “mercy”. Michael Card does a treatment on this word in his book, Inexpressible, which I highly recommend. (Oh, and Mr. Card can sing a little bit and has written a few pretty good songs too.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ and marks

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It has been posted about chesed translated as mercy, kindness, steadfast love etc. All true.

Enjoy!

Shalom

Reactions: TLHKAJ