Oh yea of little faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote of various proportions of faith in my last post. Let’s take one of them and consider it more closely, “Oh ye of little faith”. (Matt. 6:25-34)

The needs that Jesus spoke about in his address here are food, drink, and raiment. He knew the people wrestled with acquiring these things despite the many promises God gave to care for them

Ps. 37:3, 25, “ Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed….”

Directed to seniors as well as young people, I often recited the following words during my youthful struggles. Verse 25, “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” This passage is one of my all-time favorites.

I was learning to trust God during those early days as I struggled to earn degrees and eventually a living. Those were hard times the Lord led me through.

How wrongly directed are we when all we can think of is what to eat? Is that obsession ever satisfied?

Ecclesiastes 6:7, “All the labour of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.”

Job also had it right on this score.

Job 23:12, “I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.” He definitely had his priorities straight.

Paul, too, knew the true content of God’s kingdom. It’s not as so many prosperity teachers will tell us today.

Romans 14:17, “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.”

Imagine that, telling yourself, when you are hungry, to not sweat it because God’s kingdom is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost, not a meal. Believing so, will that feed you? I don’t think that is how we’re to look at this. Surely a singleness of mind is important, but no one wants to exist on a starvation diet.

Jesus realized people get hungry, for when they followed Him throughout the countryside desiring to hear the Word, He fed five thousand.

At the same time, going without food may very well be the Lord’s way to humble and prove us as he did the Israelites.

Deut. 8:2-3, “ And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no. And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.”

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is very nice to meet you, I am enjoying all of your posts!

It also says elsewhere: He allowed them to become very thirsty in the desert to see what they would do.

Thank you for being so welcoming, stunned. I write from the notebooks I filled while being taught in the 70s by some very capable teachers. The content of their training came out of the first principles found in Heb. 6. To complete the course would take about 1.5 years, meeting twice daily, six days per week. It was an outstanding time period of learning for me throughout those 468 sessions.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote of various proportions of faith in my last post. Let’s take one of them and consider it more closely, “Oh ye of little faith”. (Matt. 6:25-34)

The needs that Jesus spoke about in his address here are food, drink, and raiment. He knew the people wrestled with acquiring these things despite the many promises God gave to care for them

Ps. 37:3, 25, “ Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed….”

Directed to seniors as well as young people, I often recited the following words during my youthful struggles. Verse 25, “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.” This passage is one of my all-time favorites.

I was learning to trust God during those early days as I struggled to earn degrees and eventually a living. Those were hard times the Lord led me through.

How wrongly directed are we when all we can think of is what to eat? Is that obsession ever satisfied?

Ecclesiastes 6:7, “All the labour of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.”

Job also had it right on this score.

Job 23:12, “I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.” He definitely had his priorities straight.

Paul, too, knew the true content of God’s kingdom. It’s not as so many prosperity teachers will tell us today.

Romans 14:17, “For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.”

Imagine that, telling yourself, when you are hungry, to not sweat it because God’s kingdom is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost, not a meal. Believing so, will that feed you? I don’t think that is how we’re to look at this. Surely a singleness of mind is important, but no one wants to exist on a starvation diet.

Jesus realized people get hungry, for when they followed Him throughout the countryside desiring to hear the Word, He fed five thousand.

At the same time, going without food may very well be the Lord’s way to humble and prove us as he did the Israelites.

Deut. 8:2-3, “ And thou shalt remember all the way which the Lord thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no. And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.”
Hi Hopein!
The scriptures you mentioned above have been something I have lately been pondering. When I look at these scripts. it makes me think of how God allows it to rain on the just AND the unjust. I also love that scripture "...never begging bread" So, God gives good to ALL people regardless of their faith? I mean, since the "unjust" I will presume had NO faith?
Just a few thoughts ♥