Overcoming...a slightly different perspective.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In his book on the life of Joseph, and in particular Joseph's rejection of Potiphar's wife, Larry Lichtenwalter writes:
Joseph sees more than just Potiphar's enchanting wife~he recognizes Potiphar and God standing there. Because he sees more~because he perceives two valued relationships that mean so much to him~it strengthens him to resist and then to run. In so doing, he rises from the pit of moral compromise.
Lichtenwalter continues....A life then that isolates itself or mentally detaches itself from meaningful relationships puts itself morally at risk. And a life that has no cultivated relationship with God is partiularly vulnerable. Having few meaningful relationships leaves us with little reason to deny ourselves anything. Refusing to be accountable to others opens the way to moral failure...
In the face of temptation he adds...but if we perceive the faces of those we love~most of all, if we see the face of God~we will find strength. The forbidden object, experience, or person will lose its enchanting power over us.

How so very true is the above. Joseph, when Potiphar's wife put on the heat, said,and I paraphrase... "My master trusts me with everything in this house, even you. How can I betray his trust after being so good to me? And How can I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?" Joseph's resistance didn't come because the law said "thou shalt not commit adultery". The law has been around for millenia, and hasn't stopped people from disobeying it. Joseph found strength in his relationship and love for his master, and in his relationship and love for God.
If your neighbor has flash tools and is willing to loan them to you, you will far more likely return them promptly, and in good condition if he is also your friend. If your neighbor is just a nodding acquaintance, yet kind enough to loan you his concrete mixer if you ask him, you will feel less inclined to return it clean, and might even hold onto it a little longer. A lesser tool maybe you might hold onto it until he has to ask for it back.
How many people go to Vegas to "act up" because no-one knows them there? How many people behave better when in company with those they respect and love? And how many care nothing of reputation and others' respect who are loners who reject the society and friendship of others? Most, if not all such people?
We will find strength against most temptations in having many friends, and even more so if those friends are of a higher moral calibre than our own. And if one of those friends was God Himself, and our relationship with Him was daily refreshed and held precious, then we could do, (and resist), all things in Him who strengthens us.