Palm Sunday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello

If we are going to put the procession of Christ into Jerusalem on a donkey into the context of the times of Jesus' first advent, then we have to understand that after the sun went down on the Jewish Sabbath, that the people came out to see Jesus in Bethany on the first day of the week. Bringing the Palms Sunday event into our understanding of today means that the waving of the palm fronds and the laying of cloaks upon the ground as Jesus rode a donkey into Jerusalem, actually would have happened during the twilight of Saturday evening during the twilight hours after the sun went down.

Now, Jesus walked up from Jericho to Bethany during the afternoon and arrive there just before the sun went down to herald the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath Day, six days before the Passover Feast that was going to be observed on the following Friday.

The day of preparation for the Passover feast occurred on the Thursday, when the Passover Lamb was killed and cooked/prepared for the Passover meal.

There is much that we, today, have to learn about the context of the events that led up to the crucifixion of Christ on the Thursday afternoon, with Christ dying around 3 PM, the ninth hour, his body being taken down and put into a tomb before the sun went down, that heralded the start of the day of the Passover.

Shalom

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I were talking today, at how fast the people turned on Jesus. Palm Sunday, they were honoring him with palms, then on Good Friday, they were calling for His crucifixion! "Crucify him!"

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I were talking today, at how fast the people turned on Jesus. Palm Sunday, they were honoring him with palms, then on Good Friday, they were calling for His crucifixion! "Crucify him!"
Ride on! ride on in majesty!
Hark! all the tribes hosanna cry;
O Savior meek, pursue thy road
with palms and scattered garments strowed.

In lowly pomp ride on to die;
O Christ, thy triumphs now begin
o'er captive death and conquered sin.

The angel-squadrons of the sky
look down with sad and wondering eyes
to see the approaching sacrifice.

Thy last and fiercest strife is nigh;
the Father on his sapphire throne
expects his own anointed Son.