Part One, ONE BAPTISM

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Some time ago danp posted a topic "Why Acts 2:38 is misunderstood." I replied to the post, about the 6th reply down from his original post. Please take a look at it... http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/13779-why-acts-238-is-misunderstood/

I have quite a few books in my library that I've purchased over the years. One of the books is titled "THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE BAPTISM" by Gerald Wright. I took an excerpt from the book which is pretty interesting and I hope all read it, especially the "faith only" people.

I am guessing I purchased the book around 1980. The book is very easy to read and is only 150 pages. You can pick up a copy used or new on Amazon.com.

Gerald and I went to the same bible college in Lubbock, Texas only he attended 10 years earlier than I did.

I am going attach my excerpts in two parts as it exceeded the limit.

May The Lord bless us as we study His Word, honor and serve Him,

charlesj

"Knowledge gained and not shared is knowledge stolen." Mark Davis, minister.

FOR SOME REASON(S) i CANNOT UPLOAD PART 2. I am getting a message that the file is to large even after I break it down smaller. So, if anyone is interested in a very good study on ONE BAPTISM, email me: [email protected] and I will send you the study. It is written in Microsoft Word and is about 14 pages.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
... "THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE BAPTISM" by Gerald Wright. ....

•Copyright: 1993
•Publisher: Star Bible Publications

cj,
Do you have permission from the author and/or publisher to copy pages from this copywritten book?

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas

•Copyright: 1993
•Publisher: Star Bible Publications

cj,
Do you have permission from the author and/or publisher to copy pages from this copywritten book?

Hello Tomwebster:

Yes I do have written permission from "Gerald Wright."
I guess I should have said "used by permissiion" in my post.

Thanks for your concern.
May the Lord be with you,
charlesj

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Is water baptism required:

What Paul teaches is that there are NO physical rituals, ceremonies, (physical works) required under the gospel of the grace of God given to him by Jesus. All the works required for salvation God completed on the cross and man cannot add to them. Salvation is a free gift to sinful men living in sinful bodies that have a sinful nature. Man could not/cannot keep the perfect Law of God, so God did it for them.

Gal 3:1-5
1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

NOTE:
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have you suffered so many things in vain-- if indeed it was in vain?
5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?--
(NKJ)

Works of the flesh (physically performed works) do not do anything to the heart. It is the heart that matters.

If men are going to reference Mathew 28:19 and say that Jesus commanded (commissioned) the 12 to preach AND BAPTIZE as a source to prove baptism is required then they must also submit to the opposite when it comes to Paul. Paul was not commanded (commissioned) to baptize. This is plain and simple. If Paul was not commanded (commissioned) to baptize then water baptism is not necessary under the grace message he taught.

1 Cor 1:17-18
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
(NKJ)

Man can make something out of nothing and say Paul had others to do the water baptism for him if they wish but that is just an assumption made by them. It is obvious that Paul's commission and message did not have water baptism as a requirement. He specifically separates baptism from the gospel in verse 17 above.

charlesj

Sep 13, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Is water baptism required:

What Paul teaches is that there are NO physical rituals, ceremonies, (physical works) required under the gospel of the grace of God given to him by Jesus. All the works required for salvation God completed on the cross and man cannot add to them. Salvation is a free gift to sinful men living in sinful bodies that have a sinful nature. Man could not/cannot keep the perfect Law of God, so God did it for them.

Gal 3:1-5
1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

NOTE:
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have you suffered so many things in vain-- if indeed it was in vain?
5 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?--
(NKJ)

Works of the flesh (physically performed works) do not do anything to the heart. It is the heart that matters.

If men are going to reference Mathew 28:19 and say that Jesus commanded (commissioned) the 12 to preach AND BAPTIZE as a source to prove baptism is required then they must also submit to the opposite when it comes to Paul. Paul was not commanded (commissioned) to baptize. This is plain and simple. If Paul was not commanded (commissioned) to baptize then water baptism is not necessary under the grace message he taught.

1 Cor 1:17-18
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
(NKJ)

Man can make something out of nothing and say Paul had others to do the water baptism for him if they wish but that is just an assumption made by them. It is obvious that Paul's commission and message did not have water baptism as a requirement. He specifically separates baptism from the gospel in verse 17 above.

Hello Richard again:

Have you ever heard of an ellipses?
I've posted this on "what is an ellipses" some time ago.

Read what I wrote and tell me you still want to use 1 Cor 1:17,18 as a proof text against Paul baptizing.
I will attach a small Word file that I did on ellipses.

Your servant in Christ,
charlesj