Passover vs Eucharist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 2:18, And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
Rev 2:19, I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Rev 2:20, Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Rev 2:21, And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
Rev 2:22, Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
Rev 2:23, And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
Rev 2:24, But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
Rev 2:25, But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
Rev 2:26, And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27, And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Rev 2:28, And I will give him the morning star.
Rev 2:29, He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rev 2:18, And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
Rev 2:19, I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
Rev 2:20, Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
Rev 2:21, And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
Rev 2:22, Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
Rev 2:23, And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
Rev 2:24, But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
Rev 2:25, But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.
Rev 2:26, And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27, And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
Rev 2:28, And I will give him the morning star.
Rev 2:29, He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Good grief, your exegesis is hopeless. In verse 19, Jesus gives them the good news first: He APPROVES of their good works. Then in the next verse, Jesus gives them the bad news: “Notwithstanding, I have a few things against thee …” - ie, they have been misled into serious sin by the woman, Jezebel. This is what “this doctrine … the depths of Satan” (v.24) is referring to - the doctrine of Jezebel. Verse 24 is not saying the doctrine of salvation by faith and works is a “doctrine … of Satan”!
In Rev chapters 2 and 3, Jesus describes the “works” of the seven Churches - some of their “works” are good and some are evil. In Rev 2:23, Jesus says he will judge everyone according to their works - ie, whether good works or evil works.
Paul says the same thing in 2Cor 5:10 -
“For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each one may receive good or evil, according to what he has done in the body.”
Rev 2:26, And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations … Rev 2:28, And I will give him the morning star.
In these verses, Jesus actually AFFIRMS the doctrine of salvation through faith and works. Those who do the "works" of Jesus (ie, keep his commandments) will be granted salvation - which is what Rev 14:12 says, “the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.”

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 24 is not saying the doctrine of salvation by faith and works is a “doctrine … of Satan”!

I didn't say that it was saying that...I said that the doctrine of salvation by works is a doctrine that was held by Thyatira...and that not all of them held this doctrine....and that for those who didn't, Jesus wouldn't place on them any extra burden.

In these verses, Jesus actually AFFIRMS the doctrine of salvation through faith and works.

Jesus here will reward those who keep His works unto the end with power over the nations...not salvation.

So, no, Jesus is not here affirming the doctrine of "salvation" through works.

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
here will reward those who keep His works unto the end with power over the nations...not salvation
in Rev 2:28, Jesus says he will give "the morning star" to those who keep his "works" (ie, his commandments). If "the morning star" doesn't refer to eternal salvation, what does it refer to?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If an SDA, a Baptist, and a Presbyterian come together in the name of Jesus; and are worshiping Him, they are the church; they are unified in the singular doctrine of what saves a man....found in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and in John 3:16.

What unifies the body of Christ together is the blood of Jesus.

Some doctrines are entirely peripheral in nature and are not essential to salvation.

If someone does not have unity on the essentials, they are not saved.

(If someone does not have unity on the non-essentials, they are of a different denomination. God has chosen to produce a variety concerning worship style and other things in order to draw in people of different dispositions.)

But if anyone is saved through the blood of the Lamb (i.e. born again) they are a member of the church; and where two or more of these meet together, that is an assembly of the church.
Actually, if an SDA, a Baptist and a Presbyterian come together in worship of Jesus – you have 3 individuals who belong to 3 separate groups that splintered OFF of the body of Christ. They are related to the Body through Baptism but are self-separated from it.

The SDA believes in doctrines that are as different as night and day from the Baptist – who also has beliefs that are as different as night and day from the Presbyterian. According to Matt. 18:15-18, the Baptist cannot go to the hierarchy of the Presbyterian or SDA for a final judgment – nor can the other 2 do likewise.

This is NOT the Unity of the body that Christ fervently prayed for at the Last Supper (John 17:20-23).
It represents the man-made, perpetual-splintering of the Body of Christ that has been occurring since the 16th century . . .

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in Rev 2:28, Jesus says he will give "the morning star" to those who keep his "works" (ie, his commandments). If "the morning star" doesn't refer to eternal salvation, what does it refer to?
A closer relationship with Jesus Himself, once we enter heaven.