Pauls Thorn

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
Hello, just wondering- What exactly was the "thorn" in Pauls flesh. Why did he have it, Why didnt God take it away when he asked him to, and where can I find this in scripture?

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
Paul's thorn is found in 2Co 12:7-12:9. It doesn't say what his 'thorn' was so anything we think it was would only be a guess. Read it in context of the whole chapter and it might give you more insight. I have never studied it so I can't be much help sorry. I use Esword and Sword Bible for my studies as they help me find verses and topics easier. This is the links: http://www.e-sword.net/ and http://www.crosswire.org/sword/index.jsp. Either of these should help you and others may know of other bibles to download.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I agree we are never told what it is I always took this to be a weakness of some sort maybe his eyes Paul couldnt see well but thats a complete guessII Corinthians 12:7 "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measureI think it was to keep Paul humbled from the context after all he had visted the thrid heaven and had many revelations so Ive always taken from what God says to him that he was reminding him he was human and to keep a level humble head II Corinthians 12:8 "For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me."Paul wanted to get rid of this thorn that was in him, and he asked God three different times to remove it from him. II Corinthians 12:9 "And He said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."Each time that Paul would ask God to remove the thorn, this is what God would reply. Pay attention to what Christ said to Paul for this applies to you and I also as we walk our everyday lives. "My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness." "My grace is sufficient for thee..." Christ's strength is what we are to rely on when the going gets a little rough, and the obstacles seem unmovable. That is when we are at our strongest, for it is Christ that does the moving then. Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 11:28?Matthew 11:28 "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
That sounds about right Kriss. I read somewhere once that Paul was supposed to be a weak sickly man - health wise that is. I can't remember where I read this as I was about 14 at the time. If this is correct maybe his thorn was a health problem? Anyway whatever it was he obviously learnt to trust God to get him through it and that is the main thing.

zon3d

Apr 23, 2008
It says in verse 7 that the thorn in the flesh is a messenger of Satan (literally angel). So because of this the most likely explanation is that it was not a physical illness but rather a demonized person. This person was likely the ring leader of the Corinthian conspiracy, the leader of the false apostles. Through them he was tearing up Paul's beloved Church and thus driving a painful stake through Paul. This conclusion can be established because of the context of this statement (Ch. 10-13).Also the OT describes Israel's personal opponents as thorns (Num. 33:55; Josh. 23:13; Judg 2:3; Ezek. 28:24).

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(zon3d;46750)
It says in verse 7 that the thorn in the flesh is a messenger of Satan (literally angel). So because of this the most likely explanation is that it was not a physical illness but rather a demonized person. This person was likely the ring leader of the Corinthian conspiracy, the leader of the false apostles. Through them he was tearing up Paul's beloved Church and thus driving a painful stake through Paul. This conclusion can be established because of the context of this statement (Ch. 10-13).Also the OT describes Israel's personal opponents as thorns (Num. 33:55; Josh. 23:13; Judg 2:3; Ezek. 28:24).
I have also heard this...that the thorn in Paul was the attack from Satan...he never let up on Paul. But Grace-That he recieved from Jesus.....was the power to stand against him.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(Red_Letters88;45018)
Hello, just wondering- What exactly was the "thorn" in Pauls flesh. Why did he have it, Why didnt God take it away when he asked him to, and where can I find this in scripture?
all we know is that the thorn was an attack from the messenger of satan, "A satanic attack".But we do know that Jesus wanted to deliver him.What Jesus actualy said was,"My supernatrual power will accomplish what you have requested".Paul should have known how to stand against the devil,Ephesians 6: 10--17.

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(Red_Letters88;45018)
Red_Letters88, We cannot be sure what the thorn in Paul's flesh was, but we do have what Paul wrote at Gal 4:13-16, where Paul mentioned a sickness in his eyes. At 2Cor 12:7-10, we are told about Paul, three times entreated God to remove his thorn in the flesh. Notice verse 7 that says he was given this thorn in the flesh so he would not be OVERLY EXALTED. The concept here was that God would make Paul strong without curing his sickness, therefore Paul would put his complete confidence in God's power, not in his own, Verses 9,10. Remember Paul was given the Sacred Secrets, and Paul had more of the Gifts of the Spirit than any other apostle, Eph 3:3-6, Col 1:26,27,2:2, 1Cor 14:18, Rom 16:25,26.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
(Red_Letters88;45018)
All the Bible says, is, It is a buffeting from the devil. 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10The Bible doesn't say that God never delivered him, [People have said that] Paul rejoyced in his infirmities, because the power of Christ was upon him. If the power of Christ is on you, you will be delivered.