"Pentecostal" good and bad.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
I'm interested in researching people's experiences with churches calling themselves "Pentecostal". On the good I would say from meeting people that go to "Pentecostal" churches that many have found a relationship with God as never before through the baptism/infilling of the Spirit.On the bad, what happened at Pentecost has been taken as a recipe for meetings so all are encouraged to speak in tongues, causing confusion to visitors. The fact that some joked that the speakers were "drunk" has been taken as licence to behave in other ways that mimic drunkenness. Then there is the "second blessing" doctrine that separates the baptism in the Spirit from new birth creating 2 classes of "Christian". The general blurring and confusion has led to a loss of vision as to how one truly becomes a member of God's church.Obviously we may all but a slant / interpretation on what we experienced so if you could give the facts before the interpretation that would be good.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I have attended a church that considered themselves Bapticostal. They believe in the gifts of the spirit, and move in them in there church. They also believe that once saved you are indwelt with the spirit. But the filling of the spirit is on going. The spirit comes once!They believe in once saved always saved. They do speak in tongues, prophecy, cast out demons etc.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
When a person is born again they have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them, to be baptised in the Holy Ghost is a different experience all together. All Christians should be baptised in the Holy Ghost, but sadly to many aren't. We see in Acts 8: 14--17, Acts 19: 2--6, that The people were born again Christians, but weren't baptised in the Holy Ghost untill hands were laid on them to receieve. Jesus said, "The believer shall speak with new tongues" That is good enough for me. Tongues is the Bible evidence of the baptism in the Holy Ghost.Being filled with the Holy Ghost is likened to being drunk. Acts 2; 13, & 15. Ephesians 5: 18-20, The Greek word for "Be filled" means, "Keep on Being Filled". one Baptism, but many fillings. If a person is filled with the Holy Spirit and are drunk in the Spirit, we shouldn't critisise them or what God is doing through them.

Jan 26, 2008
(TallMan;34530)
I'm interested in researching people's experiences with churches calling themselves "Pentecostal". On the good I would say from meeting people that go to "Pentecostal" churches that many have found a relationship with God as never before through the baptism/infilling of the Spirit.On the bad, what happened at Pentecost has been taken as a recipe for meetings so all are encouraged to speak in tongues, causing confusion to visitors. The fact that some joked that the speakers were "drunk" has been taken as licence to behave in other ways that mimic drunkenness. Then there is the "second blessing" doctrine that separates the baptism in the Spirit from new birth creating 2 classes of "Christian". The general blurring and confusion has led to a loss of vision as to how one truly becomes a member of God's church.Obviously we may all but a slant / interpretation on what we experienced so if you could give the facts before the interpretation that would be good.
Please read the facts here about too many people speaking in tounges 1 Corinthians 14:4-5. And the pentecost are probably well meaning people as most religious folk are. Here is the rub though. They, along with many other "churches", have erred and begun to follow un-clean seduceing spirits. Pure doctrine is only attainable from The Holy Ghost, men haved erred even unto their own destruction. To truly be a member of the church does not mean joining a church, it means calling out humbly to God, and following Jesus Christ every day of your life while denying your self lots of pleasure, it means lots of sorrows and joys, labouring in love and restraint while in prayer for yourself and your loved ones always and never haveing a thought EVER that does not involve God and Jesus Christ. It means constantly searching yourself for the kingdom of God that is in us. This and more glorious works unto Holiness are our tasks. The ones who do the will of God no matter where they are make up the Church. And these will be brought together from all the corners of the earth.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(setfree;34532)
. . . cast out demons etc.
That raises a few questions!What exactly are demons?Who / what do they cast them out of?Can a temple of the Holy Spirit have demons living in?

Jan 26, 2008
(Alanforchrist;34535)
When a person is born again they have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them, to be baptised in the Holy Ghost is a different experience all together. All Christians should be baptised in the Holy Ghost, but sadly to many aren't. We see in Acts 8: 14--17, Acts 19: 2--6, that The people were born again Christians, but weren't baptised in the Holy Ghost untill hands were laid on them to receieve. Jesus said, "The believer shall speak with new tongues" That is good enough for me. Tongues is the Bible evidence of the baptism in the Holy Ghost.
All will not be given the gift of tongues. These gifts are laid out in 1 Corinthians 12. To say that one must speak in tongues to truly have received The Holy Ghost is wrong, it's false, The Holy Ghost dwells in me because I fight sin and pray everyday for The Holy Spirit and though I never spoke in tongues I know I am re-born in the Spirit and behold all things have become new.

Jan 26, 2008
(TallMan;34563)
That raises a few questions!What exactly are demons?Who / what do they cast them out of?Can a temple of the Holy Spirit have demons living in?
Why don't you seek the answers from The Holy Ghost, pray before you open your Bible and read the simple to understand words of God without doubt and unrest and you will find your answers to all these questions. If you still aren't sure about demons and what they are,pray harder it's in there. and to answer your last question, no not as long as it remains Holy and undefiled by man's traditions, the world, etc.

Shan Missions

Nov 18, 2007
I don't like Pentecostal because their speaking in tongue are so noisy, so confuse, and I personally think many of them are just making up the tongue, not really from the Holy Spirit. They even consider that those who do not speak in tingue do not have the Holy Spirit and they don't get salvation.There are some true speaking in tongue that is so meaningful with interpretation.

Jan 26, 2008
Brothers and Sisters, shouldn't we want to understand the word of God? I know I do and I would love to speak in tongues because it would be a blessing. But only for me so to have the gifts I have I will be eternally grateful. In His time I will be perfected. We all will.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Shan Missions)
I don't like Pentecostal because their speaking in tongue are so noisy, so confuse, and I personally think many of them are just making up the tongue, not really from the Holy Spirit. They even consider that those who do not speak in tingue do not have the Holy Spirit and they don't get salvation.There are some true speaking in tongue that is so meaningful with interpretation.Reply With Quote
That is down right not nice. I happen to be a Pentecost/Protestant. My Church is Protestant. And I've got friends (who helped me regain my faith), that walk with the Lord, and are trying their best to bring more and more people to Christ. We're all brothers and sisters here no matter the denomination. And I've been in prayer with my friends (those with tongues), and the prayer was much more deep than conventional prayer. I believe that tongues provide a direct link to God. While conventional prayer might take longer to get to the climax of prayer.I'm currently trying to obtain prayer through tongues.Oh, and I forgive you for that comment.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Can we stick to the subject rather than personal beliefs & disagreements on this thread? Taa.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(TallMan;34585)
Can we stick to the subject rather than personal beliefs & disagreements on this thread? Taa.
Bah, we are on topic.And this is the discussion part of the forum. And this is how we usually discuss.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
There is no such thing as I have said over and over there is only the gift of speaking and understanding forgein languages this is the exact meaning of tongues in the greek natural languages of other nations. It was given so the new church could follow the command of Christ go out and preach the Good News of Christ. The prophecies that we are to be preaching are that Christ is returning. I have done much research on this. There never was a gift of muttering unitellagable words this is only spoken of in scripture in refering to familair spirts and witchcraft Isa 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?There is no unknown in the manuscripts there is no muttering of prophchyThere is God prophecys and foriegn LanguagesThis muttering did not come into exsistance untill the 1800's it was never taught by Christ or the aspostelsThe evidence of the Holy Ghost in Acts has nothing to do with 1 Cor. and the Evidence was in Acts 2 that some 13 differnt language speaking peoples understood all being said at the same time in their own Language. This is what the scripture says you can argue till the cows come home but scripture does not contain any muttering unintellable sounds and calling it language or prophecy.Sorry wakka but I will not say something that isnt there

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Tallman...If speaking an unknown tongue is a requirement...How do you explain this... I go to work now... There this one guy in a wheelchair who can not speak a word at all in any language, but rather make noises, that we can try to or barely understand what his noise is saying...JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(kriss;34589)
There is no such thing as I have said over and over there is only the gift of speaking and understanding forgein languages this is the exact meaning of tongues in the greek natural languages of other nations. It was given so the new church could follow the command of Christ go out and preach the Good News of Christ. The prophecies that we are to be preaching are that Christ is returning. I have done much research on this. There never was a gift of muttering unitellagable words this is only spoken of in scripture in refering to familair spirts and witchcraft Isa 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?There is no unknown in the manuscripts there is no muttering of prophchyThere is God prophecys and foriegn LanguagesThis muttering did not come into exsistance untill the 1800's it was never taught by Christ or the aspostelsThe evidence of the Holy Ghost in Acts has nothing to do with 1 Cor. and the Evidence was in Acts 2 that some 13 differnt language speaking peoples understood all being said at the same time in their own Language. This is what the scripture says you can argue till the cows come home but scripture does not contain any muttering unintellable sounds and calling it language or prophecy.
Kriss, it is just prayer in spirit. The popular culture of Christianity likes to call it Tongues. I've seen real firm believers speak in tongues. Including Pastors from the Soviet Union that had gone through serious trials. Last week I went to see a guest preacher from Ukraine. He owns a church, and God has blessed him and his family so much. His son from an early age healed (through God of course) him from a serious fever that bed ridden him. And that same child also healed his mother when she was having a stroke.Please don't go into assumptions about this.Also, this unknown tongue thing isn't a requirement. But it helps, a lot!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Christ never taught it the apostles never taught it you may only pray in this Wakka but Tallman and others like him can not accept that one can be saved without it and they misinterpret/ or literally can not understand scripture accept through filter of mutter he thinks half the bible is about it. and in my opinion that is proof of a familiar spirit because if one is blind to the Word and puts a condition on holy spirit and or proof of same for salvation that is against Gods Word there is a serious problem. NOW WHERE DID GOD EVER SAY THIS Any one that makes a man made doctrine a condition of baptism of spirit is in deep trouble and needs to order the familiar spirits away from them in the name of Christ.Except where there is a pencostal movement this practice is unheard of except in America. Even the men that started it left because they found it to be to easy to slip into evil. It started good and then progressed into something else. My question would be how many of you that speak this could tell the difference between God and a familiar spirit?sense you have no idea what you are saying good feelings do not nessarily mean its God. It made people feel good to worship pagon gods thats why they did it and were convinced their gods were real. I do not mean to offened anyone but I will not comprimise Gods Word. Even if it offends someIt is the only big problem I have with Pentecostals is this teachings that corrupt the gifts. Most are good christain folk

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(TallMan;34563)
I will give scriptures for this but do not have time now, but not all people in the church are born of the spirit. Some demons have to be cast out before Christ can come in.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
Shan Missions:I don't like Pentecostal because their speaking in tongue are so noisy, so confuse, and I personally think many of them are just making up the tongue, not really from the Holy Spirit. They even consider that those who do not speak in tingue do not have the Holy Spirit and they don't get salvation.There are some true speaking in tongue that is so meaningful with interpretation.Thunder1:Not ALL pentacostal people are same, you might find some nice ones, and genuine people too. Yes some pentacostal are more noisier than others, but there is always a choice. And there is no perfect church here on earth, we all are just humans. I attend pentecostal church :eek: . Not everything there is perfect as long as I'm there, I don't believe that you have to speak in tongues to get to heaven, that's not biblical teaching. I speak in tongues to edify myself, build myself up, but IT does not make me any better christian, Or get me to heaven. It's not about me, it's about our God.