Personal preference, what you were taught, lack of interest?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
On this site, and on others, I've heard how people don't accept much of what science has to say. Not just evolution, although that's a big one. I've heard doubt about whether the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I've alway believed in what credible science has to say. So why don't others? It is personal preference, what you had been taught (some people don't really undertand some science, and then they tell others so that second person is told the wrong information), or is it because people just don't care to learn?

Please discuss your thoughts below. Oh, and have an awesome weekend.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Mostly I think it is due to the influence emotions have on people's beliefs. Understand that people will be obstinate when hearing a disagreeable idea due to their own emotional reaction. But know also that it goes both ways, and it creates a bias toward's ones own ideas. The truth of a matter can't be determined by anyone influenced by these factors, save for the odd chance that their emotions lead them in the correct direction. I trust no one that shows their bias.

The "science" of evolution is heavily influenced by the personal bias of those promoting it. It ceases to be science when you abandon the scientific principle in an attempt to integrate it into an over-reaching origins theory.

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
lforrest said:
Mostly I think it is due to the influence emotions have on people's beliefs. Understand that people will be obstinate when hearing a disagreeable idea due to their own emotional reaction. But know also that it goes both ways, and it creates a bias toward's ones own ideas. The truth of a matter can't be determined by anyone influenced by these factors, save for the odd chance that their emotions lead them in the correct direction. I trust no one that shows their bias.

Ok, I see where you're coming from.

The "science" of evolution is heavily influenced by the personal bias of those promoting it. It ceases to be science when you abandon the scientific principle in an attempt to integrate it into an over-reaching origins theory.

I highly disagree. The science of evolution, although some may indeed have a lot of emotion tied to it, I don't think is over-reaching. In fact, Darwin didn't actually publish it right away. I think he waited somewhere from 7-10 years before doing so because of fear of the backlash.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know why, but some people in the USA display pride in the fact that they have no scientific training at a college level.

Plus, people are able to become preachers because they are domineering, assertive, loud and forceful, and if such preachers lead cowardly flocks, then those preachers can turn their flocks against scientific discoveries.

Also, modern-day westerners have a habit of being ethnocentric without being aware that they are that. They incorrectly assume that the way they interpret ancient Hebrew literature is the same way that the ancient Hebrews interpreted it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am going to sum up a very long post i wrote and accidently erased. People are basically fearful because we are separated from God so instead of submiting to His reconciliation we act pridefully by hiding behind our strong opinion. the stronger the opinion, the greater the fear and depair we are trying to bury. Faith is the only way to unlock the prison of our own opinion by removing judgment all together, which transforms our tendency to come together as mere Fans into lovers of God and neighbor.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
I have no problem with science as science doesn't know everything and is always having to change what it believes. And most scientists recognize that science is learning. Its not absolute. Pluto may have been a planet yesterday. But today not. etc. etc.

Therefore when I want to know 'truth' then I trust the Bible which is the absolute Word of God. And when science contridicts the Bible, I go with the Bible. Because, science will just change its mind again.

Quantrill

Reactions: KingJ

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a degree in exercise physiology, which is a science degree. With that in mind, what Quantrill said is 100% the way I look at it.

In that field (I am no longer in it) you would not believe how often scientists disagree. I'm sure and have been told it's the same in other fields as well, but some of the arguements can get rather heated amongst scientists (and worse, their followers). They all write their peer reviewed articles and then there are critiques and such... What that clearly points out is that even if they got closer to the answer, they haven't found it. Sometimes they don't even get closer, they just raise more questions and find new problems with calling one theory "a scientific law".

In short, it's not so much the "science" that's the problem, but the scientists. Not merely because they are hardheaded, but because they are dealing with subjects far beyond human comprehension. "How exactly does the human body work?" "How do you kill cancer without killing the organism?" "How did the universe form?" Scientists can prod and pick, but there is no way currently to find the answer.

Then you have the emotional side everyone else touched on. The science community as a whole is bent on the belief that they can prove anything, and even more so: there is a scientific explanation for everything. It's basically the cree of the the science community.

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
Quantrill said:
I have no problem with science as science doesn't know everything and is always having to change what it believes. And most scientists recognize that science is learning. Its not absolute. Pluto may have been a planet yesterday. But today not. etc. etc.

True, science is not, as I would say "rigid". It moves and flows, chaning direction, some parts are rough (where many scientists disagree, because believe me they don't always agree!) and others parts are more smooth sailing (like the idea of gravity, most believe in it, although there are some trying to prove that it's a mental construct we've created.) It's like a river, never stopping for anyone, unless of course they build some sort of dam. Such as having creationism in schools instead of science. It disrupts the natural. flowing, changing movement of what science is.

Therefore when I want to know 'truth' then I trust the Bible which is the absolute Word of God. And when science contridicts the Bible, I go with the Bible. Because, science will just change its mind again.

I think I can understand where you're coming from, with science you have to keep learning, and relearning what has been shown to be the most true. It can get confusing, especially if you read from one of the scientists who are more out there and not really accepted, it can be a shock or confusing when you see other scientists saying otherwise. In school we have to learn how to sift out those who have an obvious bias towards an experiment. For example, let's say a company wants to see if their product is safe. They create a team of scientists to see if it is, if those scientists come from that company, there is going to be a bias. They will want to interpret the evidence to support what the company wants. That's also why scientific papers are often so specific in their methods section. So that others can repeat the experiment, as a way to prove that what they were doing is not biased but the most correct. Not that that is the only reason, but it's one of them.

But I think that's the fun part of science. Things change, new discoveries and new ideas. We are finding new ways to make life easier, or to save lives. I love the debates and the struggle. So, that's one of the fun parts, to me at least.

Quantrill
FHII said:
I have a degree in exercise physiology, which is a science degree. With that in mind, what Quantrill said is 100% the way I look at it.

In that field (I am no longer in it) you would not believe how often scientists disagree. I'm sure and have been told it's the same in other fields as well, but some of the arguements can get rather heated amongst scientists (and worse, their followers). They all write their peer reviewed articles and then there are critiques and such... What that clearly points out is that even if they got closer to the answer, they haven't found it. Sometimes they don't even get closer, they just raise more questions and find new problems with calling one theory "a scientific law".

Actually I do know how often the disagree. Constantly. And yeah, people do get heated. We nerds like to be right :), but I don't like it when a scientist refuses to hear the other person's side though. It's best to go in with a critical eye for fallacies, but an open mind to the idea at least. And yes, science isn't instantaneous. Sometimes it takes years to find an answer, and then that answer created ten more questions. It's kind of bittersweet in a way, but a good way. Imagine if we had all the answers. Life would be so dull without any new questions to answer.

In short, it's not so much the "science" that's the problem, but the scientists. Not merely because they are hardheaded, but because they are dealing with subjects far beyond human comprehension. "How exactly does the human body work?" "How do you kill cancer without killing the organism?" "How did the universe form?" Scientists can prod and pick, but there is no way currently to find the answer.

I can see where you would find doubt with the universe forming since that is such a huge undertaking. But how the body works? How to kill cancer? I can't believe someone would just give up on scientists finding a cure for it. Plus, although our bodies do have mysteries as to why they work, it doesn't mean that we will never find them. Science takes time, and lots of it. It's kind of like when we get ready for a big event. It can take FOREVER to get ready, but once we are POW we look good XD.

Then you have the emotional side everyone else touched on. The science community as a whole is bent on the belief that they can prove anything, and even more so: there is a scientific explanation for everything. It's basically the cree of the the science community.

That's true.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
snr,

I wasn't implying that scientists should stop looking for keys to how the human body works, especially for cancer cures... Perhaps one day they'll lick that problem... They certainly have come a long way. But I'm pretty sure they will never figure out all the ins and outs. Doing so would allow them to create life from scratch. That was what I was getting at.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
snr5557 said:
On this site, and on others, I've heard how people don't accept much of what science has to say. Not just evolution, although that's a big one. I've heard doubt about whether the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I've alway believed in what credible science has to say. So why don't others? It is personal preference, what you had been taught (some people don't really undertand some science, and then they tell others so that second person is told the wrong information), or is it because people just don't care to learn?

Please discuss your thoughts below. Oh, and have an awesome weekend
...because Christians believe what the bible says about creation. Science constantly challenges God's design by creating other explanations [evolution for example] in the hope that man will not have to face judgment...and that's the reality of it. :huh:

If Christians do not believe the creation story, then they will have some serious difficulty in understanding the fall and salvation by grace through faith in Jesus and consequently - eternal life!

Blessings!!!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Folks, the book of Genesis isn't a Science text and was never intended to be a Science text.

A modern-day, western, ethnocentric interpretation of Genesis 1 isn't required in order to accept the reality of the death, burial and resurrection of the Savior Messiah Jesus.

Reactions: aspen

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
For thousands of years mankind believed the earth was at the center of the universe and everything else revolved around it.

It is even alluded to in the bible

"Modern science" says NO !!! .... and most of us would agree .... or would we ???

I was listening to a discussion by scientists who were laughing at some Christians who still believe the earth is at the center.

So I asked ..... "where is the center of the universe" ??

Reply ... there is no actual center .... they went on to say that wherever you are in the universe you are in the center.

So I said .... then if I am on earth it is the center of the universe ...

Boy were they ever mad.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
No Christian should be against science. In fact Christians love science / seeking truth!

Having said that, we can certainly learn a lot from the Galileo affair in how to interpret scripture that seems to be at odds with science. ie. ''The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved'' The earth seems still but is not literally still. There is no lie, rather a phenomenological view. Then context is needed as one verse mentions four corners of the earth (implying flat) and another that it is a circle in Isaiah 40:21-22. But whatever the context or view...there is no space / toleration for evolution. It is a clear-cut loggerhead to scripture. 'We are created just beneath the angels' / 'we are in the image of God' can only be interpreted one way. Adam never sought counsel with his ape father and Adam never kept his ape father as a pet....as Adam never had a father. Adam was 6 000 years ago, not 200 000 years ago according to evolution.

Reactions: UppsalaDragby

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
We also need to keep in mind that the Old Testament makes use of ancient Hebrew cosmology

Ancient-Hebrew-view-of-universe.png

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Dodo_David said:
Folks, the book of Genesis isn't a Science text and was never intended to be a Science text.

A modern-day, western, ethnocentric interpretation of Genesis 1 isn't required in order to accept the reality of the death, burial and resurrection of the Savior Messiah Jesus.
Knowledge of many things in the Bible are not required to believe in Jesus Christ.

But...when science contridicts the testimony of Scripture then the Christian must side with the Bible instead of Science. That is true whether it be science, history etc.

Quantrill

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
Quantrill Is correct, and I was not going to post, as I get myself in trouble with this topic quite a bit, however a couple more things need to be said to make this complete. (In my opinion)

Science can be a good thing. Please keep in mind, however, that science is based in man's understanding of the "reality" he can see, from the perspective he currently views "this reality" from. A scientist has no idea at any given time what it is he does NOT know that will change the whole dynamic of the "reality" he is attempting to dissect. For example, it was just a short 200 years ago a scientist first discovered we breathe oxygen...that was kinda a game changer...now I say the earth is around 6,000 or 7,000 years old, an evolutionary scientist is up to around 4 billion years (give or take a few billion if we find something that doesn't fit). The point is, 200 years ago is nothing to 6,000 years much less than 4,000,000,000 years. If we just found out we breathe oxygen in that time (a pretty big thing) what small things are missing that we can not even perceive yet? How are those things going to change everything the next time?

Secondly, can't we just agree that we all operate under the same principles of faith, we just place our faith in different things. (man vs God) I have no problem with evolution and creation being taught in schools, they are both accepted by using faith. Doubtless, science uses differing words to describe their faith. They use words such as theory, hypothesis, postulate, conjecture....all words for faith. There is no difference. Be careful where you place your faith. I will side with what God says, and watch for how man is trying to discredit Him next whenever I am in doubt.

SL