Pollution is now a SIN!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(kriss;40286)
The thing is LGF it does not matter if you are blessed with wealth it is a matter between you and God what you do with it. If you are greedy you are judged for that if you are generous and help the poor you are blessed the church has no right injecting itself in what is Gods buissness How many times in scripture do we God awarding or denying or correcting one through Gold or wealth and now the church has decided its the one who will decide these things ????
Agree!!But God works his perfect will through an imperfect churchtake a look at yourself hasn't God worked his will through you. And correct me if I'm wrong but your not perfect.This does not change when his flock comes together.It wouldn't matter if the catholic church (or any christian denomination) approved of abortion. God will work through the church. I would hate to see what God would do to correct the church ( it wouldn't be pretty) But he will work through it as the majority are trying to follow his will.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Letsgofishing;40291)
Kriss, Lust is still a Mortal Sin. Thats just a creative way of saying that they added seven new ones.one of them I just don't get
Ok Im misunderstood that but I still dont agree with a couple of these

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
The idea that the Church maintains "lists" of sins is silly. It is just not that simple or cut and dry. The writer of this article is either not Catholic or a very misinformed one. Letsgofishing has expressed the more correct general idea that the Vatican is simply indicating the seriousness of pollution and anyone contributing to such acts. At one time there were huge huge books of sins in use, but it was not for the purpose of teaching people what is or is not a sin. And am pretty sure those books were not universally used everywhere in the Church. Those “lists’ were used by Priests in some places as a well intentioned attempt to standardize what “acts” the confessor should tell the repentant should perform after confessing particular sins. Keep in mind such things arise during a time of limited education/training among all people including priests in general. For example; confess to lust; Priest looks up index, flips and reads variations of lusts, picks one close to what he heard and tells the repentant to . And those lists have long been replaced with better training/education of Priests today, along with the idea that the Holy Spirit always leads the confessor in such matters anyway and a precise penance for every case is impossible to mandate.The Church does give us examples and reasons for what could make a particular act sinful. They specify and give examples of what distinguishes mortal (deadly to the soul) and venial sins (sins but not deadly to the soul in itself). They have given lists to help people contemplating confession in exploring their conscience to be sure they do not forget something they had done. Normally such lists are structured around the 10 Commandments and they are produced locally, not by the Vatican in any case (not that the Vatican would not endorse such a practice). Here is an example; http://www.dailycatholic.org/examcons.htmYou will note nothing weird and certainly nothing all inclusive about that list. It is a tool, an aide, nothing more. None of these things constitutes the Church telling us exactly what acts are a sin and which are not.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Almost everything you do causes pollution. You using your computer right now runs on electricity. Most ways of getting electricity causes pollution. You heating and cooling your home causes pollution. You running your fridge and stove causes pollution. You flushing your toilet causes pollution (chemicals for water treatment). You cannot even buy food at your local grocery store. Pesticide use is at its highest and even if you east organically, gas is used in farm equipment.The list goes on. My point is:If pollution is a sin. It is a sin you cannot repent of. If you do not repent of sin you are seriously putting your salvation at risk and some would argue you cannot be saved.

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
God does not "decide" sin, He judges people hearts. The Pope does not decide sin either, His role as our Shepard is to lead us away from sin. If something we are doing is wrong, then the Pope's job would be to point that out, as John Paul did with Russia for example.To say using a laptop contributes to pollution (which in one sense one could say is true) and that it is therefore now somehow a sin because of the Vatican announcement is failing to understand both what sin is and what the role of the Church is helping people avoid it.Maybe this will help (but I doubt it)http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1856Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."Sins can be distinguished according to their objects, as can every human act; or according to the virtues they oppose, by excess or defect; or according to the commandments they violate. They can also be classed according to whether they concern God, neighbor, or oneself; they can be divided into spiritual and carnal sins, or again as sins in thought, word, deed, or omission. The root of sin is in the heart of man, in his free will, according to the teaching of the Lord: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a man."128 But in the heart also resides charity, the source of the good and pure works, which sin wounds.1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."Am in a very liberal and “green” northwest at the moment, yet I still do not know any one that would say in using a laptop people choose to do so because it pollutes the earth. Also do not know any one that would consider the pollution caused by the use of a particular single laptop to be a grave matter. (I could however see the deliberate decision to dump a factory’s untreated waste into a river in order to save money as being a grave matter.}As one of the last two posters apparently do know so such people, we can only hope those people they know are not Catholic.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Of course God decides sin thats one of things he uses to judge peoples did one sin knowenly, did it affect others,was one remorseful,did one repent ect, ect, God never appointed anyone to decide that for him thats why he gave us the Word to guide us As I said another example of the chruch injecting itself between God and his children You choose to follow a man your choice Ill follow God

DrBubbaLove

Jan 17, 2008
Kriss,We are thinking on different levels. God judges the heart and it is there where He, and He alone, determines what is sin and what is not for that individual. This is why as scripture says something could be a sin for one and the same thing not a sin for another. God alone determines that. The Church is simply trying to help us avoid sin in living our lives. No one can tell us what is in our hearts.This is not a case of the Pope suddenly waking up and saying, “hey, I am going to tell everyone that polluting is a sin” or “I am making polluting a sin today”. Like it was not a sin before the Vatican announced it. How silly. Neither could we say God decides polluting is a sin or not. Polluting is a bad thing, no one should question that. In this day and age it is easy for some of us to forget how bad a thing pollution can be. Intentionally and needlessly polluting our environment is a bad thing and as such it is a sin against our neighbor and ourselves. This makes it a sin. The Vatican is simply attempting to raise our awareness to what can be a serious sin. And unlike what Mikey suggested, the Vatican’s announcement would not make using my laptop or electricity a mortal sin, even though in some sense we could say my use of it is contributing. In order for it to be mortal, God would have to consider the degree to which it contributes and my intentions would have to be considered as well. While some may have a conscience telling them that any amount of contribution is a grave matter, my is not telling me to move back into a cave or kill myself to stop my CO2 signature or increase my “green points”. Nor do I see that as the message from the Vatican. I do see the writer of that press release wanting others to see things that way, and for Mikey and perhaps to a lesser degree yourself, that appears to be working. (which is following a man – the writer BTW)

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
(kriss;40350)
Of course God decides sin thats one of things he uses to judge peoples did one sin knowenly, did it affect others,was one remorseful,did one repent ect, ect, God never appointed anyone to decide that for him thats why he gave us the Word to guide us As I said another example of the chruch injecting itself between God and his children You choose to follow a man your choice Ill follow God
I'm going to have to step in here. Catholic believe that The pope was appointed to guide the catholic church by the Holy Spirit, and therefore by following him, many people believe they are following God. The problem is that many people blindly follow the Pope. Being appointed Pope does not make the pope not human. Just like the God appointed kings of isreal have fell and make mistakes, so do the popes. For example lets use Pope John Paul the 2nd. This man I believe was when of the holiest men of the 21st century. But he was far from perfect. He seemed to put way to much stress on Mary,and prayed with Muslims saying that christians and muslims were praying to the same God, for example. So we catholics have to be careful. There is reason to believe that many corrupted popes will follow Benidict( look up the prophecies of Saint Malachi), test everything they say. God has appointed a sheperd to guide us, but just like every other human, he is not infallible. To the christians outside the catholic church, Most of you obviously don't even believe that the pope was appointed by God, and therefore believe that we catholics are following just a man appointed by men. I want to remind you to look at the hearts. As I have said before, by following the pope, catholics believe they are following the one the Holy spirit sent to guide us, and therefore are following God. that is what is in there hearts.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I do understand that LGF my problem with it is most dont think like you and it was men that said the Pope was guided by the Holy spirit God never said it When God choose one to guide us he sends his messengers to tell them and they to be a guide to all believers not just a select group the only true guides we are told is coming are the two wittness's having a vote of men of the same church behind closed doors doesnt mean anything except he was elected by men to follow their traditions if it was truly of God and they believe their right the Elections would be open to all until God sent a sign not just a select few that they(men) have decided are eligible You guys would feel the same if Protestants choose a leader that we said was Gods guide on earth. with no proof other than we said. I do agree with your assessment of Pope John the 2nd I didnt agree with alot of his theology but had much respect and warm feelings about the man