Pope endorses evolution

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree not to check our brains at the door, but I need to understand what you mean as far as evolution explains our body and not our soul??? So we evolved into man then God showed up and gave us a soul??? I don't follow..... Obviously I'm not Catholic either.......

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
That's how I understand the Catholic position on this. At some point in the evolution of humans, God breathed into us a soul (the "breath of life"), and it is the soul that makes us "in the image of God", distinct from everything else.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, Okay then. I have a really difficult time wrapping my head around that one. I think even Darwin would wince at it. To each their own. :blink:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think at some point we became self conscious

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think at some point we became unconscious...

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Evolution crap teaches that humans better evolved their brain's cognitive functions. Making Adam's father a being that would be more then capable of advising Adam on the error of his ways. Our soul being used as justification for accountability for sin / for which Jesus was planned before the foundations of the earth for...seems really stupid. We only need brains to be accountable. Babies and mentally handicapped have souls and neither are accountable for sin.

River Jordan said:
So the truth of Christianity hinges on evolution? :blink:
This has been explained to you a million times. When will your brain evolve?

Evolution places intelligent man 200k years ago in Africa. Making the 6-7.5k old bible seem like recent fairytale dogma....capeeeeeeeeeeeeesh?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
KingJ said:
Evolution crap teaches that humans better evolved their brain's cognitive functions. Making Adam's father a being that would be more then capable of advising Adam on the error of his ways. Our soul being used as justification for accountability for sin / for which Jesus was planned before the foundations of the earth for...seems really stupid. We only need brains to be accountable. Babies and mentally handicapped have souls and neither are accountable for sin.
So where's the intelligence line for accountability?
Evolution places intelligent man 200k years ago in Africa. Making the 6-7.5k old bible seem like recent fairytale dogma....capeeeeeeeeeeeeesh?
Yep, it certainly contradicts the fundamentalist reading of Genesis. I don't think anyone has argued otherwise.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
River Jordan said:
Yep, it certainly contradicts the fundamentalist reading of Genesis. I don't think anyone has argued otherwise.
I am not concerned with whether or not God made the earth in 6 or a million days. I am concerned with the fact that you have no problem in believing God would ignore intelligent mankind for 194 000 years. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Being a Fundamentalist, I've never bought into the "molecules to man" theory. Many species have adapted or mutated, but none have evolved. Bottom line is that the link from ape to man is missing in the fossil record. I still don't believe that the building blocks of life spontaneously arose in a primordial sea, coalesced, began to live, began to reproduce, changed over a very long period of time into a variety of organisms, which populate the earth today. That takes a larger leap of faith in my mind than belief in a Creator.

Remember the Coelacanth fish? It was touted by evolutionist as an extinct transitional fish which formed legs and primitive lungs enabling it to evolve from the sea to land 350 million years ago. The myth exploded in December 1938 when a live Coelacant was caught in a fisherman's net off the coast of South Africa... And surprisingly, the fish still didn't have a leg to stand on. :)

evolution+coelacanth+living+fossil.jpg

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
KingJ said:
I am not concerned with whether or not God made the earth in 6 or a million days. I am concerned with the fact that you have no problem in believing God would ignore intelligent mankind for 194 000 years. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I have no idea where you get that from.
Dan57 said:
Many species have adapted or mutated, but none have evolved.
Sure they have, lots of times. You didn't know that?

Bottom line is that the link from ape to man is missing in the fossil record.
And you know this....how? You've studied paleoanthropology? If so, where exactly is this "gap"?

Remember the Coelacanth fish? It was touted by evolutionist as an extinct transitional fish which formed legs and primitive lungs enabling it to evolve from the sea to land 350 million years ago. The myth exploded in December 1938 when a live Coelacant was caught in a fisherman's net off the coast of South Africa... And surprisingly, the fish still didn't have a leg to stand on.
So I'm curious...where did you get this information from?

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
River Jordan said:
I told you in post # 46.

I am amazed at how you / any TE can overlook this. Playing dumb? ignorant?

It took God 196 000 years to choose an Abraham from intelligent mankind? :rolleyes: x 196 000

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
KingJ said:
It took God 196 000 years to choose an Abraham from intelligent mankind? :rolleyes: x 196 000
We don't know exactly when the first humans with souls were created, and I honestly don't think that's a very important question. The arrival of the first members of H. sapiens you're referring to is about physical characteristics, not spiritual.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
River Jordan said:

Sure they have, lots of times. You didn't know that?

And you know this....how? You've studied paleoanthropology? If so, where exactly is this "gap"?

So I'm curious...where did you get this information from?
Show me one transitional fossel where an animal transitions from one species to another. As far as I'm concerned, most of the hominid skulls look like extinct apes. I know that many claim that the 3.5-million-year-old Australopithecus afarensis, better known as Lucy is one of man's earliest ancestors, but it looks like an ape to me. The hypotheses of primates evolving into humans has no definitive links in the fossel records. As far as I'm concerned, its all extreme speculation. Consider that the oldest gorilla fossils found date back about 10 million years, but gorilla's are still gorilla's. Its all conjecture, if something looked like a chimpanzee, they chalk it up as a human ancestor. I simply believe that everything was made after its kind, and there's no conclusive evidence which proves that any species evolved into something else. While science has genetically engineered bacteria, plants, and animals, they haven't changed a horse into a giraffe, its more of a lemon into lemonade than a lemon into an orange. I'm no expert, I got some of my information here; http://humansarefree.com/2013/12/9-scienctific-facts-prove-theory-of.html

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dan57 said:
Show me one transitional fossel where an animal transitions from one species to another. As far as I'm concerned, most of the hominid skulls look like extinct apes. I know that many claim that the 3.5-million-year-old Australopithecus afarensis, better known as Lucy is one of man's earliest ancestors, but it looks like an ape to me. The hypotheses of primates evolving into humans has no definitive links in the fossel records. As far as I'm concerned, its all extreme speculation. Consider that the oldest gorilla fossils found date back about 10 million years, but gorilla's are still gorilla's. Its all conjecture, if something looked like a chimpanzee, they chalk it up as a human ancestor. I simply believe that everything was made after its kind, and there's no conclusive evidence which proves that any species evolved into something else. While science has genetically engineered bacteria, plants, and animals, they haven't changed a horse into a giraffe, its more of a lemon into lemonade than a lemon into an orange. I'm no expert, I got some of my information here; http://humansarefree.com/2013/12/9-scienctific-facts-prove-theory-of.html
That was good! There was logic there I hadn't considered. I think all too often we get caught up in excepting things as fact because the person telling us has a degree. Well played Dan57.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
That was good! There was logic there I hadn't considered. I think all too often we get caught up in excepting things as fact because the person telling us has a degree. Well played Dan57.
What's really amazing is that despite having evolved from pond scum, we can all formulate a paragraph :) I'm not convinced that we descended from Lucy. Below is a pic of the Australopithecus afarensis skull, and to me it doesn't look human or even something that's in transition to being human. Show me something with a forehead and I'll reconsider. Otherwise, if science claims that's my ancestor, it won't influence my faith. http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/lucy.html

m1387_zpsd7968a70.jpg

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its nice to see a tangible argument. My faith, likewise, doesn't allow room for the ancient monkey skull. :D

Dan57 said:
What's really amazing is that despite having evolved from pond scum, we can all formulate a paragraph :) I'm not convinced that we descended from Lucy. Below is a pic of the Australopithecus afarensis skull, and to me it doesn't look human or even something that's in transition to being human. Show me something with a forehead and I'll reconsider. Otherwise, if science claims that's my ancestor, it won't influence my faith. http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/lucy.html

m1387_zpsd7968a70.jpg

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure I trust your opinion about what a skull looks like, no offense dan57. Using an opinion based on appearance really doesn't hold much water. Sort of reminds me of the movie "Dave" where the common social worker is elected President and balances the budget over lunch by using a napkin to write on........Leaving all the career politicians scratching their heads wondering "why didn't WE think of that!"

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:
I am not sure I trust your opinion about what a skull looks like, no offense dan57. Using an opinion based on appearance really doesn't hold much water. Sort of reminds me of the movie "Dave" where the common social worker is elected President and balances the budget over lunch by using a napkin to write on........Leaving all the career politicians scratching their heads wondering "why didn't WE think of that!"
I think you may want to consider how the scientists classify skulls...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justaname said:
I think you may want to consider how the scientists classify skulls...
You mean experts?