Pope Francis and Bart the Patriarch

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any bets on the re-unification of the Orthodox and Catholic church
confused.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoU2o1iRN0U

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Francis' rhetoric seems to be simultaneously drawing some Orthodox into further negotiation and then pushing others away. I don't see them overcoming the papal authority sticking point, and there is still significant disagreement with divorce, the filioque, and other bones of contention.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It didn't work out for Tony Palmer, whom was calling for all Christians to reunite with the Roman Catholic church. Because he claimed Martin Luther's protest to be over. He died.

B

brakelite

In think that what we need to take note of is not so much signed declarations etc, but the general trend. During the tenures of the last 3 popes, we have witnessed an extraordinary and accelerating shift in attitude among many protestants toward Rome. A marked increase beyond the more benevolent attitude that has prevailed over the last 120 years or so. Rome is now considered to be more affable and mellow in her attitude towards non Catholic communities and faiths, and is therefore seen to be more 'Christian'. Her history, the creeds and doctrines that she still cleaves to as inviolate (including her right to persecute heretics), are ignored. The fact that there are still many differences between Catholic and non-Catholic belief, and many of them vital, does not lessen the astonishment that one feels that once died-in-the-wool protestants (such as Copeland et al) are now even considering any form of unity with Rome. If there were evdence we are now in the very last days of this world as we know it, the prevailing climate of goodwill now permeating the Christian world in its view of Rome is all we need.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Doesn't matter really.

Every denomination is run by a Levitical priesthood.

Point is moot.

B

brakelite

Not so moot when a global religious body demands your allegience on pain of death.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Very moot when our King said not to fear the ones that Destroy only the body.

Really what can these weak, secular men do?

They hide behind codes and walls fearing the tax man.

B

brakelite

"And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark...." (Rev. 13:16) The question each and every Christian should ask themselves is...because all the world is deceived by this entity (v14) how can I know that I will recognize this deception and not go along with it when it appears? I would strongly suggest that anyone who does not fully understand the issues pertaining to Antichrist and his mark, will eventually be deceived by him. Yes, the King says we need not fear death...but spiritual deception? The vast majority of Christendom is far too confident in their own opinion....hence the massive variance of opinion on eschatology without any true Biblical exegesis but rather relying on the teachings of their pastors and TV evangelists.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Brakelite, show me one sect of Christendom that has priests in the order of Melchizedek?
Show me one that has never broken the two great commands?
Show me one that never waged or endorsed carnal war?
Show me one that never yoked the righteous with the unrighteous?

Show me a sect that did all of those and I'll go it it.

None have done that so as far as I'm concerned none are going to pull the wool over my eyes.

I'm a fruit inspector. And so far all I've seen is rotten tomatoes.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
pom2014 said:
Brakelite, show me one sect of Christendom that has priests in the order of Melchizedek?
Show me one that has never broken the two great commands?
Show me one that never waged or endorsed carnal war?
Show me one that never yoked the righteous with the unrighteous?

Show me a sect that did all of those and I'll go it it.

None have done that so as far as I'm concerned none are going to pull the wool over my eyes.

I'm a fruit inspector. And so far all I've seen is rotten tomatoes.
<<I'm a fruit inspector. And so far all I've seen is rotten tomatoes.>>

So you'll be going away????

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Away from these heretical faiths. Done.

As a free will follower of the King I've done so for years. No denomination is following the King. I will not side with rebels.

B

brakelite

pom2014 said:
Away from these heretical faiths. Done.

As a free will follower of the King I've done so for years. No denomination is following the King. I will not side with rebels.
Mmmmm, and yet God Himself declares that there is a remnant in these last days "that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus" . Surely this group of believers doesn't suddenly come on the scene at the last minute, for they are preachers of the gospel to all the world well before the second coming. The message they preach in fact includes a warning concerning the state of the church before the second coming...much like what you are advocating yourself. (Revelation 14:1-12) Therefore there is a church, somewhere, that thinks similar to you. Seems you've not yet tried them all.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
The closest match to any have been the anabaptists.

But sadly they've moved away from that ideal into isolationism due to the butchers of the catholics and protestants.

I understand their need to survive, I do not agree with their insular way of doing it.

So I will take fellowship where I can and follow only the King.