Praying the Rosary

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
The Apostles' Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our
Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was
crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He
ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come
to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of
saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

Our Father

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it
is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who
trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy
womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory Be

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever
shall be, world without end. Amen.

Fatima Prayer

O my Jesus, pardon us, and save us from the fire of Hell; draw all souls to Heaven, especially those in most
need.
(William Thomas Walsh,
Our Lady of Fatima,
Doubleday, 1990, p. 220)

Hail Holy Queen and concluding prayers

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished
children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then,
most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed
fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.

Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.

That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray. O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the
rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the most holy
Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain, and obtain what they promise,
through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com
Copyright © 2007
Most Holy Family Monastery.

Reactions: rockytopva

Giver

Dec 13, 2013
Wilson, NC
[SIZE=16pt]I prayed the rosary for many years. One praying the rosary is just repeating the written Word of God. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]The Our Father is not all scripture but does ask for Jesus’ kingdom to come and ask for God’s will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I believe in the communion of saints, and do believe in asking all the saints to pray with me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I also believe/know, that Mary the mother of Jesus actually came and visited my wife twice when she was alive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Truly, now if I said a rosary I would say one Hail Mary, and ten Our Fathers. [/SIZE]

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you Elizabeth and welcome to CB.

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
Giver said:
[SIZE=16pt]I prayed the rosary for many years. One praying the rosary is just repeating the written Word of God. [/SIZE]
While the Our Father and Hail Mary are both taken from Scripture, it wouldn't be right to describe praying the Rosary as just repeating the written Word of God. The Rosary is the most beautiful blend of vocal and mental prayer which pleases God and brings many graces to the one who prays it devoutly.

[SIZE=16pt]I also believe/know, that Mary the mother of Jesus[/SIZE]
Mary is truly the Mother of God. For who is Jesus? He is the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity; He is true God and true man; He is one Christ with two nature.

[SIZE=16pt]Truly, now if I said a rosary I would say one Hail Mary, and ten Our Fathers.[/SIZE]
Why? Of course, you can do that, but then it would no longer be the Rosary you were praying. A saint once said, never be afraid of loving the Mary too much. You can never love her more than Jesus. What better example to we have than that of Jesus Christ towards His Mother. He loved her and honored her above all creatures. By honoring the Mother we honor the Son. It was through Mary that Jesus wished to come into the world. It was Mary who declared: "All generations shall call me blessed." Yes, most Blessed Mother, all generations of Catholics call you blessed and honor as the worthy Mother of God.

"If you wish to understand the Mother," says a saint, "then understand the Son. She is the worthy Mother of God." Hic taceat omnis lingua: Here let every tongue be silent.

What do you think about vain repetitions as per Matthew 6: 7
Mt. 6:7 is a passage frequently misunderstood by Protestants. In this passage, Jesus is not condemining reptitions of the same prayer. See Revelation 4:8. Catholic prayers are not vain repititions. Please take 4 minutes to watch the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07SNBaOFz8

Thank you Elizabeth and welcome to CB.
Thank you, Rockytopva :)

Giver

Dec 13, 2013
Wilson, NC
Elizabeth said:
While the Our Father and Hail Mary are both taken from Scripture, it wouldn't be right to describe praying the Rosary as just repeating the written Word of God. The Rosary is the most beautiful blend of vocal and mental prayer which pleases God and brings many graces to the one who prays it devoutly.

Mary is truly the Mother of God. For who is Jesus? He is the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity; He is true God and true man; He is one Christ with two nature.

Why? Of course, you can do that, but then it would no longer be the Rosary you were praying. A saint once said, never be afraid of loving the Mary too much. You can never love her more than Jesus. What better example to we have than that of Jesus Christ towards His Mother. He loved her and honored her above all creatures. By honoring the Mother we honor the Son. It was through Mary that Jesus wished to come into the world. It was Mary who declared: "All generations shall call me blessed." Yes, most Blessed Mother, all generations of Catholics call you blessed and honor as the worthy Mother of God.

"If you wish to understand the Mother," says a saint, "then understand the Son. She is the worthy Mother of God." Hic taceat omnis lingua: Here let every tongue be silent.

Mt. 6:7 is a passage frequently misunderstood by Protestants. In this passage, Jesus is not condemining reptitions of the same prayer. See Revelation 4:8. Catholic prayers are not vain repititions. Please take 4 minutes to watch the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07SNBaOFz8

Thank you, Rockytopva :)
[SIZE=16pt]I never click on any links. So will not see the link you posted.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I have had a close personal relationship with Jesus going on forty years now, and not once has he had me say the rosary. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Mary is one of the saints in heaven. I do ask those saints to pray with me for God’s will to be done here on earth as it is in heaven.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus told us how to pray, and it was not the rosary. Praying the rosary does not mean one is loving Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]To love Mary one would need to love Jesus, and to love Jesus one needs to live the whole Word of God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]When Mary came to my wife she came as one loving mother to another. My wife thanked Mary, and Mary said: “No, I thank you.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]My wife said she had never in her whole life felt such peace as she felt, after Mary touched her.[/SIZE]

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
Do you imagine that God is displeased by the devout praying of the Rosary? Could words so full of holy love be so offensive to God Who is love? No, the Rosary is a wonderful way to honor Jesus and Mary. And as Mother Mary declared by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, "All generations shall call me blessed!," so all generations of Catholics continue to call her blessed by way of the daily Rosary. Thus fulfilling the Will of God. I will continue to pray the Rosary in honor of this Blessed Mother and on account of the the many blessings God has been pleased to give through this devotion.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee!’ No creature has ever said anything that was more pleasing to me, nor will anyone ever be able to find or say to me anything that pleases me more.” - Our Lady to Saint Mechtilde

“Recite your Rosary with faith, with humility, with confidence, and with perseverance.” - Saint Louis de Montfort

Giver

Dec 13, 2013
Wilson, NC
Elizabeth said:
Do you imagine that God is displeased by the devout praying of the Rosary? Could words so full of holy love be so offensive to God Who is love? No, the Rosary is a wonderful way to honor Jesus and Mary. And as Mother Mary declared by the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, "All generations shall call me blessed!," so all generations of Catholics continue to call her blessed by way of the daily Rosary. Thus fulfilling the Will of God. I will continue to pray the Rosary in honor of this Blessed Mother and on account of the the many blessings God has been pleased to give through this devotion.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee!’ No creature has ever said anything that was more pleasing to me, nor will anyone ever be able to find or say to me anything that pleases me more.” - Our Lady to Saint Mechtilde

“Recite your Rosary with faith, with humility, with confidence, and with perseverance.” - Saint Louis de Montfort
[SIZE=16pt]No Jesus is not displeased for one saying the rosary. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]From my expierance what has happened in the Catholic Church is people stopped believing in a personal relationship with Jesus, and replaced it with a relationship with Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Mary is just a saint in Heaven the same as any other saint. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Each person was given a job to do, and one person is no greater then another.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus explained that in the following verses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large](Matthew 11:11) “I tell you solemnly, of all the children born of women, a greater than John the Baptist has never been seen; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he is.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large]John the Baptist was born after Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](Matthew 12:48-50) “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers? And stretching out his hand towards his disciples he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of may Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother.”[/SIZE]

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
Giver said:
[SIZE=16pt]From my expierance what has happened in the Catholic Church is people stopped believing in a personal relationship with Jesus, and replaced it with a relationship with Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Mary is just a saint in Heaven the same as any other saint. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Each person was given a job to do, and one person is no greater then another.[/SIZE]
That great saint and Doctor of the Church, St. Bernard, said that we should not imagine that we obscure the glory of the Son by the great praise we lavish on the Mother; for the more she is honored, the greater is the glory of her Son. :)

Devotion to the Mother of God is nothing new. Jesus Christ was devoted to His Mother. He honored her deigning to become her Son; by being subject to her; by santifying John the Baptist through her Luke 1:41; by His miracle at the Wedding at Cana which He was pleased to perform at her request Jn. 2:3. As His Mother, Mary has a unique relationship with God. No Son will ever love his mother as much as Jesus loves Mary, and no mother will ever love Son as much as Mary loves Jesus. Mary is still very much the Mother of Jesus in Heaven as she was on earth and Jesus, as her Son, is pleased to honor His Mother's requests just as much in Heaven as He was pleased to do so on earth.

The Catholic Church has always acknowledged Mary's special privilege as Mother of God. Mary is not only the Mother of God, she is the Mother of all the faithful Jn. 19:27. She intercedes for us and obtains for us who have recourse to her many graces.

It was in view of the merits of Jesus Christ that the Blessed Virgin Mary was granted the singular grace and privilege of being preserved from all stain of original sin. This is a truth revealed by God and must be firmly believed. From the first moment of her conception she was without sin. She was to be the spotless vessel who would carry the Holy of Holies.

In the words of Padre Pio, In the natural order she proceded her Divine Child, Our Lord, but in the Divine order Jesus, the Divine Sun, arose before her, and she received from Him all grace, all purity and all beauty... All darkness compared to the pure light that renews all creation through Him whom she bore in her womb, as the dew on the rose.

The Immaculate Conception is the first step in our salvation. Through this singular and unique gift Mary received a profusion of Divine Grace, and through her cooperation she became worthy of absorbing infinitely more.

The Eternal Father created her pure and immaculate and is well pleased in her for she is the worthy dwelling of her Son. Through the generating of His Son in His bosom from all eternity, He forcasts the generation of His Son as Man in the pure womb of this Mother, and He clothed her from her conception in the radiant snowy garment of grace and of most perfect sanctity; she participates in His perfection. The Son who chose her for His Mother poured His wisom into her that from the very beginning, by infused knowledge, she knew her God. She loved and served Him in the most perfect manner as He never until then had been loved and served on this earth.

The Holy Ghost poured His love into her; she was the only creature worthy or capable of receiving this love in unlimited measure because no other has suffient purity to come so near to God; and being near to Him could know and love Him ever more. She was the only creature capable of containing the stream of love which poured into her from on high. She alone was worthy to return Him from Whom came that love. This very love prepared her for that "Fiat" which delivered the world from the tyranny of the infernal enemy and overshadowed her, the purest of doves, making her pregant with the Son of God.

Giver

Dec 13, 2013
Wilson, NC
Elizabeth said:
That great saint and Doctor of the Church, St. Bernard, said that we should not imagine that we obscure the glory of the Son by the great praise we lavish on the Mother; for the more she is honored, the greater is the glory of her Son. :)

Devotion to the Mother of God is nothing new. Jesus Christ was devoted to His Mother. He honored her deigning to become her Son; by being subject to her; by santifying John the Baptist through her Luke 1:41; by His miracle at the Wedding at Cana which He was pleased to perform at her request Jn. 2:3. As His Mother, Mary has a unique relationship with God. No Son will ever love his mother as much as Jesus loves Mary, and no mother will ever love Son as much as Mary loves Jesus. Mary is still very much the Mother of Jesus in Heaven as she was on earth and Jesus, as her Son, is pleased to honor His Mother's requests just as much in Heaven as He was pleased to do so on earth.

The Catholic Church has always acknowledged Mary's special privilege as Mother of God. Mary is not only the Mother of God, she is the Mother of all the faithful Jn. 19:27. She intercedes for us and obtains for us who have recourse to her many graces.

It was in view of the merits of Jesus Christ that the Blessed Virgin Mary was granted the singular grace and privilege of being preserved from all stain of original sin. This is a truth revealed by God and must be firmly believed. From the first moment of her conception she was without sin. She was to be the spotless vessel who would carry the Holy of Holies.

In the words of Padre Pio, In the natural order she proceded her Divine Child, Our Lord, but in the Divine order Jesus, the Divine Sun, arose before her, and she received from Him all grace, all purity and all beauty... All darkness compared to the pure light that renews all creation through Him whom she bore in her womb, as the dew on the rose.

The Immaculate Conception is the first step in our salvation. Through this singular and unique gift Mary received a profusion of Divine Grace, and through her cooperation she became worthy of absorbing infinitely more.

The Eternal Father created her pure and immaculate and is well pleased in her for she is the worthy dwelling of her Son. Through the generating of His Son in His bosom from all eternity, He forcasts the generation of His Son as Man in the pure womb of this Mother, and He clothed her from her conception in the radiant snowy garment of grace and of most perfect sanctity; she participates in His perfection. The Son who chose her for His Mother poured His wisom into her that from the very beginning, by infused knowledge, she knew her God. She loved and served Him in the most perfect manner as He never until then had been loved and served on this earth.

The Holy Ghost poured His love into her; she was the only creature worthy or capable of receiving this love in unlimited measure because no other has suffient purity to come so near to God; and being near to Him could know and love Him ever more. She was the only creature capable of containing the stream of love which poured into her from on high. She alone was worthy to return Him from Whom came that love. This very love prepared her for that "Fiat" which delivered the world from the tyranny of the infernal enemy and overshadowed her, the purest of doves, making her pregant with the Son of God.
[SIZE=16pt]All what you posted seems to say that Jesus was wrong.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large](Matthew 11:11) “I tell you solemnly, of all the children born of women, a greater than John the Baptist has never been seen; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he is.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large]John the Baptist was born after Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](Matthew 12:48-50) “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers? And stretching out his hand towards his disciples he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of may Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus told us that no one was ever born greater the John. No one does include Mary does it not?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus said that the least in the kingdom of God was greater then John. So the least in the kingdom must also have been better then Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Let me share who it is that is in the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]You do agree that God’s home is the kingdom of God don’t you?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=large](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus said who ever keeps his Word is in the kingdom of God, and that person is greater then John was. And Mary was not greater then John. [/SIZE]

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arnie - I think the key word in your post is 'vain'. There is no vanity in asking for prayer. And there is nothing wrong with repeating prayers - Some Protestants can spend 30 minutes repeating a chorus to God in a worship song and not even see a similarity with the Prayers of the Rosary.

We are all acting on faith

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
Giver said:
[SIZE=16pt]All what you posted seems to say that Jesus was wrong.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus told us that no one was ever born greater the John. No one does include Mary does it not?[/SIZE]
Even Jesus was born of a woman, so how is it that John can be greater while still being least in the Kingdom of Heaven? This is something to consider. Please think about that. Because truth does not contradict truth, you may be sure that you have made a mistake in your interpretation of the sacred words.

You also mention Mt. 12:48-50 and Jn. 14:23. "Whoever does the will of my Father..."; "Whoever loves me will keep my word." Do not both of those passages apply to the Mother of God? Yes, and in a way unmatched by other creatures. Besides that of Christ Himself, the world has no greater example of obedience and love than that of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The world was in the darkness of sin and death; it was Mary's humble obedience that brought Light and Life. Look at her admirable obedience in consenting to be the Mother of God; look at her obedience at the foot of the Cross. Who can witness the love and obedience of this dear Mother towards her Son and refuse her the honor worthy of such a Mother?

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Wait a minute!

This forum isn't a debate forum. If you want to debate the pros and cons of things pertaining to the Roman Catholic Church, then do so in the appropriate forum.

Elizabeth started this thread for the purpose of sharing with others what aids her in her prayer life.
If what she talks about isn't for you, then please keep the peace anyway.

Giver

Dec 13, 2013
Wilson, NC
Dodo_David said:
Wait a minute!

This forum isn't a debate forum. If you want to debate the pros and cons of things pertaining to the Roman Catholic Church, then do so in the appropriate forum.

Elizabeth started this thread for the purpose of sharing with others what aids her in her prayer life.
If what she talks about isn't for you, then please keep the peace anyway.
[SIZE=16pt]David, if you were talking to me, I would like you to know that I was not arguing with her. I respect her feeling about Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]My Dad on his deathbed prayed to Mary. He had his family say the rosary every night after dinner.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]My post was just to share what scripture says about who is thought to be the greatest in the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Giver said:
[SIZE=16pt]David, if you were talking to me, I would like you to know that I was not arguing with her. I respect her feeling about Mary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]My Dad on his deathbed prayed to Mary. He had his family say the rosary every night after dinner.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]My post was just to share what scripture says about who is thought to be the greatest in the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]
Giver, I was not responding to anything that you said in this thread.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this the place for debate?